Games keep minimizing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

guitarshr3dd3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 guitarshr3dd3r
Member since 2009 • 1151 Posts

Well I have a sony vaio laptop, running windows 7, (idk if thatm atters) and anyways, whenever I play any game, be it oblivion of half life 2, the game would minimize randomly probably every 5 minutes or so. Any causes and fixes?

Frenzyd109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 Frenzyd109
Member since 2007 • 2276 Posts
check any processes in the background. Anti virus can do that
RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

AVG used to minimizeall fullscreen aplications each 15 minutes or so. Just update your anti-virus program if you're using AVG.

guitarshr3dd3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 guitarshr3dd3r
sorry for my misinformedness, but is avg a program or a feature/option?
guitarshr3dd3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 guitarshr3dd3r
nm avg is an antivirus thing lol, I got webroot and they got somehting called gamer mode, I enabled it, maybe something will happen
Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

I believe if you use the slideshow desktop (ie the desktop wallpaper changes every so often) this can make your fullscreen games minimise. If you are going to play games it is best to switch to a non-changing desktop. This may or may not be the problem but thought it was worth mentioning.

S0H0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 S0H0
Member since 2009 • 298 Posts

I believe if you use the slideshow desktop (ie the desktop wallpaper changes every so often) this can make your fullscreen games minimise. If you are going to play games it is best to switch to a non-changing desktop. This may or may not be the problem but thought it was worth mentioning.

charmingcharlie
Not true in my experience. I use the slideshow with a folder of hundreds of screenshots that changes my desktop image every few minutes. It doesn't cause minimising in-game. The only time I experience this is when an anti-virus/anti-spyware/auto-update is activated.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
Regardless, it's something in the background that is minimizing your game. In my case, the only time that ever happens is if I let Windows update run. And when it finishes Downloading, It'll minimize stuff when it asks me to install the updates it just downloaded, and it'll do it again when it tells me it has to reboot. What makes me mad is that it pops up a message that says something about you can continue to use your computer, and then it minimizes it and locks up the game I'm in anyway....
guitarshr3dd3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 guitarshr3dd3r
Ok so the gamermode didn't fix it, it's getting rather aggrivating, especialy in multiplayer games >_
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11782 Posts

It is more than likely gonna be something to do with a anti-virus or a firewall issue.

try turning those updating them completely, if that doesn't work try turning them off.. and if that doesn't work then I can't help you.

guitarshr3dd3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 guitarshr3dd3r

It is more than likely gonna be something to do with a anti-virus or a firewall issue.

try turning those updating them completely, if that doesn't work try turning them off.. and if that doesn't work then I can't help you.

Lach0121
Ah prolly a windows 7 issue?
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
[QUOTE="guitarshr3dd3r"] Ah prolly a windows 7 issue?

I kinda doubt it, being that you're pretty much the first I've seen have this problem.... I'm more to think that it's something specific installed on your PC that's running in the background.
guitarshr3dd3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 guitarshr3dd3r
[QUOTE="Threesixtyci"][QUOTE="guitarshr3dd3r"] Ah prolly a windows 7 issue?

I kinda doubt it, being that you're pretty much the first I've seen have this problem.... I'm more to think that it's something specific installed on your PC that's running in the background.

I'mma close my webroot antivirus, but wouldnt that leave my laptop vulnerable?
DropTarget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DropTarget
Member since 2009 • 375 Posts
[QUOTE="guitarshr3dd3r"][QUOTE="Threesixtyci"][QUOTE="guitarshr3dd3r"] Ah prolly a windows 7 issue?

I used Webroot for a while and believe me, it is actually doing you more use closed than open. You shouldn't have any problems at all as long as you don't download any "suspect" files while you have it closed.
guitarshr3dd3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 guitarshr3dd3r
[QUOTE="DropTarget"][QUOTE="guitarshr3dd3r"][QUOTE="Threesixtyci"] I kinda doubt it, being that you're pretty much the first I've seen have this problem.... I'm more to think that it's something specific installed on your PC that's running in the background.

I used Webroot for a while and believe me, it is actually doing you more use closed than open. You shouldn't have any problems at all as long as you don't download any "suspect" files while you have it closed.

Did you happen to experience the same minimizing problem?
guitarshr3dd3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 guitarshr3dd3r
This is so annoying, is it some technical problem, I can't play a game for more than 5-10 minutes before this stuff happens -_-
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
If I press alt & tab while I'm gaming, it minimizes my game. That can get aggravating, especially when I get killed...
guitarshr3dd3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 guitarshr3dd3r
Well alt+tab is a short cut to minimizing the windows I think, I know for sure it was meant to minimize, but like do you ever play something, and without doing anything it automatically minimizes?
guitarshr3dd3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 guitarshr3dd3r
ok now this thing minimizes like every 5-10 minutes on like everything, like not minimize when im on internet, but lets say Im watching a youtube video full screen, after 5 min it goes to small screen =/
malikmmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 malikmmm
Member since 2003 • 2235 Posts

1. might be a virus problem ?

2. maybe you can try this. go to task messenger---- prosses---- and then end "any" process that has "YOU USER NAME" except the explorer.exe process.

3. run the game again

EDIT : Hey i just googled it and found this solution... but DONT try this if you dont know any thing about it,

To prevent applications from stealing the focus from the window you are working

1. Start Regedit

2. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER Control Panel Desktop

3. Edit the key ForegroundLockTimeout

4. Give it a value of 00030d40

guitarshr3dd3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 guitarshr3dd3r
alright changed it, I'mma try and see how it is, if it works then thank u, sooooo much, it was really getting annoying and I swear I was going to break my pc xD haha I'll post in 10 minutes see what happens =]
guitarshr3dd3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 guitarshr3dd3r
hey do I have to restart? because I did what was told and the problem still persists, but I havent restarted yet
guitarshr3dd3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 guitarshr3dd3r
Nothing's working, could it be a virus?