Gamersgate cancelling Bethesda Bundle purchases!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
They messed up the pricing but a lot of people managed to buy it while the price was low. Initially GG said they ran out of keys for the games in the Bethesda pack and they'd have more keys in the middle of January. Now they've started removing the games from people's accounts and forcing refunds. http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/gametutor?issue=241009 "We made a mistake. Our computer program grossly multiplied the discounts we were authorized to offer on these bundles and they were advertised at way below cost. We did not notice this on the day of the mistake because of the holidays. We have cancelled all unfulfilled orders as per our terms of use. We are working with the affected publishers to see what we can do with respect to partially filled orders. We highly value all of our loyal GamersGate customers and do not want to see our relationship with any of you damaged. Nor do we want to see our publisher partners harmed by our computer glitch. We are doing all that we can to sort this out, however due to the holidays we will most likely not be able to sort this out until next week. Please bear with us and forgive us for this disappointing error. We will update you as soon as possible." http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/info/holiday-sale-issue Thoughts? I can't see anything in their terms of use that says they can do this.
Super-Trooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Super-Trooper
Member since 2004 • 1591 Posts

At least it looks like they're working on getting a solution if that quote is any indication..

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Not surprising, most companies cancel orders that were made on pricing errors

KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KABCOOL
Member since 2009 • 1147 Posts

If they're issuing full refunds, I don't see much a problem even though it was completely their mistake, sh!t happens.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

They should throw in some blue coins as an apology.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

Consumer overentitlement. GG in no way has to honor the prices they listed, especially if it was a computational or human error, and seeing how they issued refunds on the purchased products, all's well in the hood yo. Buy the pack again at the proper price if you want it so badly.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
No-one can have been in any doubt when they were buying it that it was an obvious pricing screw up - it just worked out incredibly well for the few that actually managed to get some keys out of it - once they are activated on Steam there is nothing GG can do about it. GG realised their mistake after their site had been absolutely hammered by people wanting this deal, bringing the site down in the process. Some people had their orders cancelled and refunded immediately - never getting any keys, while others were getting some keys but being told the rest were out of stock - I guess it is these people that are in a bit of limbo since GG don't know how much to refund them as they clearly don't want to lose more money by giving away the remainder of the bundle. It's awkward because despite what any keyboard lawyer will say, if the store doesn't want to give you the game there is bugger all you can do about it, and no-one is going to incur the cost of a lawsuit to prove a point on a $20 bargain purchase - so ultimately if GG want to back out of the deals and give refunds that's pretty much what you're going to get.
megam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 megam
Member since 2003 • 457 Posts
That would have been one helluva deal. That said, this isn't the first time I've seen their discount system go haywire and offer an amazing deal. I remember picking up the guild complete collection for like $2.00 a few months back. Thankfully, they never rescinded the purchase.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

These guys seem like they screw up a lot. ChubbyGuy posted a link to Borderlands 2 for $15 a week or two ago. I scooped it up and got my key before they fixed it but they changed it within an hour.

-Byshop

8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts
Completely fair (I already got my refund) words cannot describe my damn anger over all the dumbasses flooding the site screwing up the entire payment system (orders would get stuck on processing), they deserve nothing. It ain't cool to abuse the error, some people bought multiple copies which is just... Lame.
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I guess I'm in the minority in thinking that if you buy something at said price, you should get it. Regardless of it being an error or not.

Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

I find that ratty. If you bought it its yours and shouldn't be able to take it back.

If you bought a game at 15 dollars and 1hour later they sold it for 10 they'd never give you the 5 dollar difference.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Interesting to see the difference of laws by country, in the US you couldn't do this.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 x-2tha-z

I guess I'm in the minority in thinking that if you buy something at said price, you should get it. Regardless of it being an error or not.

Cwagmire21
I agree.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#16 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
what was the price. ANYWAYS i agree with the very second comment in that link "I imagine they can break those rules when it suits them, huh?" they are the ones made a mistake. They should have spent the time to check their system before going live. 2: they should take the loss and learn to check their crap
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 k2theswiss

Interesting to see the difference of laws by country, in the US you couldn't do this.

James161324
not sure. they would do it either way lol but, question of your butt be getting a court date or a settlement write up
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

If they're issuing full refunds, I don't see much a problem even though it was completely their mistake, sh!t happens.

KABCOOL

They should throw in some blue coins as an apology.

HyperWarlock
Best remedy.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 k2theswiss

KABCOOL
you don't see a problem? people legitly bought it for the listed price on their website but, they didn't like the ""price"" once it sold crazy and said screw that lets rip it right from OUR customer hands and make them REBUY it for higher price if they want it...
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#20 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I think they should just wear the cost and deal with it. Refunding and giving blue coins is going to cost them as well. What was the intended price versus the actual price?
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Even if it was a mistake, taking the games back is wrong at this point.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="nutcrackr"]I think they should just wear the cost and deal with it. Refunding and giving blue coins is going to cost them as well. What was the intended price versus the actual price?

The actual price is over $300. The price that was made in error was $28 or something like that. So yeah, gigantic difference. And I'm sure there were thousands of orders for that collection.
Sta1k4r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 Sta1k4r
Member since 2010 • 157 Posts

I wasn't affected, as I don't use Gamersgate, but it's got to be in their T&C's. Because otherwise people would exploit glitches like this, and both Gamersgate AND Bethesda lose money. But this is going to be a moral debate more than anything else, because people want to save money, but have a good conscience because they "paid" for the pack.

On the other hand, this shouldn't happen, and they should have fixed it quicker, like how Steam dealt with the War Z thing within a day or it's release.

And on the sixth mutant toe that you grew from a bunion, it's probably Bethesda's decision, not Gamersgate's, and to mess with Bethesda would screw Gamersgate later, when Steam gets the next Fallout and Elder Scrolls games (which would mean that people have to go to Steam if they want the DLC's.)

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Byshop  Moderator

[QUOTE="KABCOOL"]

k2theswiss

you don't see a problem? people legitly bought it for the listed price on their website but, they didn't like the ""price"" once it sold crazy and said screw that lets rip it right from OUR customer hands and make them REBUY it for higher price if they want it...

The notice said they were cancelling "unfulfilled" orders, which I take to mean orders that haven't been paid yet since that's a two step process on GG. If they are cancelling orders for which they haven't yet received payment then that's really not so bad.

-Byshop

Kendog87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Kendog87
Member since 2010 • 1111 Posts

"We are working with the affected publishers to see what we can do with respect to partially filled orders",
GG

The real question is; What's going to happen to people that have payed and only received some of their keys, they prob won't/can't take used keys back (unless steam get involved) and force a refund.
I'm not sure what GG and the publishers are going to do with the missing keys from bundles that have been half redemed.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

lostrib
actually most companies honour pricing errors and pay the costs themselves.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

bonafidetk

Depends on the item. Best Buy was selling a 900 dollar TV for 9 bucks, if I remember correctly. They, of course, didn't honor it and NO ONE should if the difference it outrageous, as stated by a user a few posts above (300 v 30).

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Byshop  Moderator

[QUOTE="bonafidetk"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

Sheppard212

Depends on the item. Best Buy was selling a 900 dollar TV for 9 bucks, if I remember correctly. They, of course, didn't honor it and NO ONE should if the difference it outrageous, as stated by a user a few posts above (300 v 30).

Yeah, if it's a question of a bit of a loss most retailers will take the hit. Some even have a defined policy of always honoring the price in their system, even in the case of their own mistake (such as Office Depot).

However, in the case of something like this where the price difference is way below cost and would damage both the retailer and their partner then obviously they can't honor all of the orders. I don't really view this as a failing on the part of the retailer since nobody in their right mind could look at that price and think it was legit. Pretty much everyone who placed that order knew full well they were taking advantage of an error and if you got it, great, but if you didn't then that's no reason to cry about how the retailer screwed you because they didn't fulfil your obviously screwed up order.

If people want to complain about GG, then complain about their slow-@ss website or the fact that they seem to have these price screw ups over and over.

-Byshop

Tykain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Tykain
Member since 2008 • 3887 Posts
That's lame, they should at the very least offer some compensation to customers that bought it. Specially considering the huge "free" advertising it gave them (I never even heard of them myself until that day) and people that bought other games because the Bethesda pack deal brought them there. Being legaly allowed to force refund on a 'error' opens the door for abuses to bring traffic to their sites. 1. Set a very low price on a game by 'mistake' 2. Get free advertising all over internet on gaming sites with people posting links 3. Force refund. 4. Profit
Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#32 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
The flip side to this fiasco is their customers, which is really more important then Bethesda. They should see people who have bought package would be willing to pay $10 more for it, if not they get a refund. Making a decision and forcing their customers could cause alot of people to make the wrong impression that they could run over them at any time, same goes for Bethesda. The only reason Bethesda and Gamer Gate is in business right now is people buying their games. They shouldnt take that too lightly.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

I'm sure entitlement will result in a lawsuit about this sometime int he future if their Terms of Use don't explicitly say "We reserve the right to stop, refund or retract from any purchase at any time".

"GamersGate and its affiliates reserve the right to refuse service, terminate accounts, remove or edit content, or cancel orders in their sole discretion for any reason whatsoever,".

Too bad...

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 x-2tha-z

James161324
They are doing it to people in the US.
Tykain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Tykain
Member since 2008 • 3887 Posts
[QUOTE="James161324"]

x-2tha-z

Doesn't mater where people are from. They are based in Sweden, not the US.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Byshop  Moderator

[QUOTE="x-2tha-z"][QUOTE="James161324"]

Tykain

Doesn't mater where people are from. They are based in Sweden, not the US.

There is no law in the US or any other country that requires them to fulfil orders based on a mistake or any other order for that matter. As long as they don't keep the money and give nothing in return then they haven't broken any laws.

And, yes, this does happen with US retailers.

And, no, it's extremely unlikely that they did this as a plubicity stunt seeing as how all it's really done is piss off their customer base.

-Byshop