Galactic Civ 3 Alpha, only $100! lol

#1 Edited by Reaper4278 (337 posts) -

Yea I think this whole early access thing is getting out of control. $100 to help them test their alpha? And check out what they wrote (this is from Steam btw)

“Join us in shaping the future of Galactic Civilizations III. We believe that gathering as much feedback as we can from our players to be the only way to make a truly exceptional game, and we are grateful for your help. We’re extremely pleased with where we are on the path that leads to Galactic Civilizations’ 2015 release, but the game is in an early alpha state. Please be aware that the game isn’t actually, well, fun yet. Major systems are unfinished and content is severely limited (please visit the community forums for the latest caveat list); we plan to be in Early Access up until release.

The Founder's Elite edition of this Early Access will only last for a short time and is geared towards those who truly want to help us make a great game. Later this year we will discontinue the Founder's Elite offer and replace it with standard Galactic Civilizations III Early Access ($49.99).”

Huh? We want you to help us make a great game, but we'll take that $100 first lol. Oh yea, and if you don't pay up now we will give you half off to help us out later lol.

This is nuts! I'm almost thinking perhaps it is an early April Fool's joke lol.

#2 Posted by adamosmaki (9369 posts) -

Yea I think this whole early access thing is getting out of control. $100 to help them test their alpha? And check out what they wrote (this is from Steam btw)

“Join us in shaping the future of Galactic Civilizations III. We believe that gathering as much feedback as we can from our players to be the only way to make a truly exceptional game, and we are grateful for your help. We’re extremely pleased with where we are on the path that leads to Galactic Civilizations’ 2015 release, but the game is in an early alpha state. Please be aware that the game isn’t actually, well, fun yet. Major systems are unfinished and content is severely limited (please visit the community forums for the latest caveat list); we plan to be in Early Access up until release.

The Founder's Elite edition of this Early Access will only last for a short time and is geared towards those who truly want to help us make a great game. Later this year we will discontinue the Founder's Elite offer and replace it with standard Galactic Civilizations III Early Access ($49.99).”

Huh? We want you to help us make a great game, but we'll take that $100 first lol. Oh yea, and if you don't pay up now we will give you half off to help us out later lol.

agree. I never really liked that early access thing. Sure is great some people get to play their anticipated games early but basically we are doing the job of testers let alone alot of people buying an early access game and then they are disappointed by missing features and various bugs and give the game a negative feedback even though its on alpha/beta testing

#3 Edited by Reaper4278 (337 posts) -

@reaper4278 said:

agree. I never really liked that early access thing. Sure is great some people get to play their anticipated games early but basically we are doing the job of testers let alone alot of people buying an early access game and then they are disappointed by missing features and various bugs and give the game a negative feedback even though its on alpha/beta testing

I have no issue with early access alphas when priced either the same or less than the release price will be, but $100 price gouging is just pathetic really and takes advantage of fans love for the games. I know someone will pay it, and so does the game company. It is good business and capitalism at work, but it is sad to see it happening to gaming. If you buy into early access alphas and complain about the quality then that is on you, but I think it is these people who cause this type of alpha testing to suck. You will have those who will test vigorously due to paying an investment, then you will have those paying expecting to just play the game and will not test at all. I think when you had volunteers with a mutual relationship between tester and developer it was much more healthy than it is now. Sadly pc gaming has gone from being a hobby to being a cutthroat business over the past couple decades.

I wonder when Apple will start charging double to get your new IPad or IPhone early lol.

#4 Posted by cyborg100000 (2839 posts) -

I don't know why people sign up for alphas to be honest, and I hate that so many games now are being released incomplete these days with very (sometimes seemingly and questionably perpetual, given the high amount of money and attention some games receive) long-winded 'betas' and 'alphas'. A game like Gal Civ should have a big enough investment to warrant it being made solely by developers without the need for player input. Do the developers lack confidence in making the game themselves? Weren't the previous Gal Civ's made by the sole experience of developers? Don't even get me started on having to pay to test an incomplete game. You'd be a fool to do so and miss out on the real experience, unless you're truly passionate about the game.

#5 Posted by Reaper4278 (337 posts) -

I don't know why people sign up for alphas to be honest, and I hate that so many games now are being released incomplete these days with very (sometimes seemingly and questionably perpetual, given the high amount of money and attention some games receive) long-winded 'betas' and 'alphas'. A game like Gal Civ should have a big enough investment to warrant it being made solely by developers without the need for player input. Do the developers lack confidence in making the game themselves? Weren't the previous Gal Civ's made by the sole experience of developers? Don't even get me started on having to pay to test an incomplete game. You'd be a fool to do so and miss out on the real experience, unless you're truly passionate about the game.

It has become a money grab, nothing more or less.

#6 Posted by AdamPA1006 (6416 posts) -

I dont mind open Betas to help bugfix the game (for FREE), but to pay $100bux to do the honors...no

#7 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

Oh boy, I've always wanted to pay for the honor of doing someone else's job...

#8 Edited by nutcrackr (12294 posts) -
#9 Posted by Reaper4278 (337 posts) -
#10 Posted by Cloud_imperium (1869 posts) -

I think they do this on purpose , to let only few people test the game .

#11 Posted by IFBB-PRO (211 posts) -

On gameinformer podcast one of the developers said that for hundred dollars not only do you get early access but you also will get free full game and free downloadable content that they ever release in the future. Not a bad deal if you are a hardcore fan.

#12 Posted by kaealy (1433 posts) -

They want people that actually give feedback and you will get all DLC and expansions released for the game in the future if you pay that amount. I don't see the big deal here if you want to support the game and you enjoy Galatic civ 2.

#13 Edited by Reaper4278 (337 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

I think they do this on purpose , to let only few people test the game .

Ummm, why do they need $100 to limit access? If they want to limit access they simply only give out so many keys. That is how closed betas have worked forever.

#14 Edited by uninspiredcup (6986 posts) -

Just checked it out. "fuck you developer" ran through my head again and again until nose bleed commenced.

Checking the steam forum they have locked it down. I wonder why?

But yea, fuck you developer.

#15 Posted by Reaper4278 (337 posts) -

@IFBB-PRO said:

On gameinformer podcast one of the developers said that for hundred dollars not only do you get early access but you also will get free full game and free downloadable content that they ever release in the future. Not a bad deal if you are a hardcore fan.

"Free" full game? lol. It is amazing how people can be so easily sold. "Pay us $100 for access and we will give you the game and DLC for FREE!!" Woohoo! Free games ya'll!

Really man? You can't be this gullible.

@kaealy said:

They want people that actually give feedback and you will get all DLC and expansions released for the game in the future if you pay that amount. I don't see the big deal here if you want to support the game and you enjoy Galatic civ 2.

PC games have been alpha and beta tested just fine for decades without this, it is simply companies gouging fans of their game for more money, nothing more. Like I said, it is smart business because there are people out there buying this stuff up so why not? I just hate seeing PC gaming going the route of the console where it is all about money. PC gaming used to be a bunch of nerds doing what they love and sharing it with people, making some money off it on the side of course. Now it is a straight up business. This is why indie games have become so popular, the big names have all become greedy, putting out crappier games and asking more in return for them.

#16 Edited by uninspiredcup (6986 posts) -

An alpha is a service to the publisher and developer, not the other way around. I remember spending hundreds of hours in the Quake 3 alpha and it didn't cost a time. This crap is just insulting. And just for that, I wont ever be purchasing a stardock title ever again. This publisher/developer can go fuck itself.

#17 Posted by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

I have bought into the early access games offering 50% off discounts for buying early to help test, I think that is a good idea. These companies charging these outrageous amounts are ridiculous.

#18 Posted by kaealy (1433 posts) -

@kaealy said:

PC games have been alpha and beta tested just fine for decades without this, it is simply companies gouging fans of their game for more money, nothing more. Like I said, it is smart business because there are people out there buying this stuff up so why not? I just hate seeing PC gaming going the route of the console where it is all about money. PC gaming used to be a bunch of nerds doing what they love and sharing it with people, making some money off it on the side of course. Now it is a straight up business. This is why indie games have become so popular, the big names have all become greedy, putting out crappier games and asking more in return for them.

By the end of the day, nobody is forcing you to buy anything. Sure, Indie games are becoming more and more popular. But so are gaming in general, making more money for each passing year. AAA games are still great, saying anything else is moronic. By the way, Stardock is self-publishing their titles, meaning that they are infact by all definitions an indie game dev.

#19 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2155 posts) -

The worst part is the idiots that buy and defend these greedy practices.

If you don't have the money required to make a game,you don't make it period.

#20 Posted by GarGx1 (2382 posts) -

On the other hand the minimum package that comes with Alpha Access for Star Citizen is $40 (still 3965 alpha slots left). The full game will likely be $60 on release.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/316-aurora-mr

This is part of the reason why C.I.G. have been so successful at raising money, they are not being incredibly greedy (I'm sure people will disagree when they look at the $15,000 Completionist package ;) )

#21 Posted by soolkiki (1710 posts) -

I don't understand this! I can understand $10 or $20 for early access, but this? No thanks.

#22 Posted by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

@kaealy said:

By the end of the day, nobody is forcing you to buy anything.

I really despise this cop-out of an excuse.

#23 Posted by airshocker (28347 posts) -

$100 for an alpha is ridiculous. I do love Galacatic Civ, but I can wait til it drops to release pricing.

#24 Posted by illmatic87 (14983 posts) -

I have no complaints. I dont see the problem here. It's a special founders package that dont have to buy if i choose to as im not entitled to an alpha of a game.

I'll just wait till there's another offer, or when the game releases.

#25 Edited by groowagon (2740 posts) -

it is really just for the sake of supporting the project. they don't want to sell the early access for regular price for some specific reason right now, and my guess is that they want to keep the tester base small enough so that they can handle it. having higher price tag ensures that only people who really, REALLY want to be involved in the development join in at this point.

anyone who says "$100 for an alpha is ridiculous" doesn't understand the concept of early access (although i would personally wait for the $50 price too). you don't pay for the alpha, you pay for the final release. you also pay premium because you really want to support the developers. while you wait for the final release, you get to try the work-in-progress game and more importantly, be a part of the development.

if that's not your cup of tea, just wait for the final release.

#26 Edited by nutcrackr (12294 posts) -

Some Early access games match the alpha tier with their funding tier (e.g. Planetary Annihilation) because otherwise would screw the people who actually made the game a reality. This is not the case with Gal Civ 3, but it's probably analogous to that type of system. Basically they are using early access to actually fund the game, but without a standard funding system. If you think of it that way, you can just ignore the alpha/beta/gamma/delta access and then buy the game when it hits a reasonable price. Assuming it gets finished.

#27 Posted by uninspiredcup (6986 posts) -

Some Early access games match the alpha tier with their funding tier (e.g. Planetary Annihilation) because otherwise would screw the people who actually made the game a reality.

Sounds like bullshit to jack the price.