This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by bigblunt537 (6814 posts) -

I honestly didn't do much research when upgrading my PC which is something I rarely do, but I just went from a Q9550 to an AMD A8 6600K. After Setting everything up it feels much faster in comparison, but many sites claim that this CPU is much weaker than the weakest i3 and my old Q9550. Does AMD plan on developing better CPU's for this socket type? I feel like I made a dumb decision and should've went with AM3+. I really hope to not have to upgrade my motherboard again. Microsoft is already giving me problems with my activation.

#2 Posted by HavocV3 (7934 posts) -

Well, it looks like FM2+ is already out. And the new FM2+ APUs are supposed to be coming out within the next month, I think?

But that doesn't necessarily mean that AM3+ would've been the better choice. AM3+ doesn't have anything in the pipeline for 2014...and by 2015...they'd probably go with a new socket because AM3+ would be like 4 years old at that point. (if AMD even decides to extend the FX line)

#3 Posted by bigblunt537 (6814 posts) -

Damn, so there is not much to look forward to with this socket type? I just wanted the best bang for the buck CPU as I use dedicated graphics. Well that sucks guess I'm going to have to upgrade in a year or 2.

#4 Posted by PfizersaurusRex (660 posts) -

FM2 boards are a dead end. New FM2+ CPUs will require FM2+ boards. You can, however, run FM2 CPUs on FM2+ boards (which means zip to you, but just to clear it out). I didn't look at the benches but your new CPU should perform about the same as the C2Q, or maybe a little better. It's weaker clock per clock, but it can be run at well over 4GHz. AM3+ wouldn't necessarily give you a better upgrade path, but FX-6300 or FX-8320 would definitely be a better upgrade over a C2Q than 6600K. So next time do a little more research!

#5 Edited by C_Rule (9739 posts) -

Can't even call Q9550 to A8 6600K an upgrade.

#6 Edited by bigblunt537 (6814 posts) -

It's funny because I have noticed an improvement, but it's probably has more to due with the upgrade from DDR2 to DD3. Yeah guess it's a lesson learned. As I said normally I due more research, but I saw all the 5 star reviews and said whatever anything would be an improvement over my old CPU and the price was good. I guess as I said a lesson learned! lol

#7 Edited by C_Rule (9739 posts) -

It's funny because I have noticed an improvement, but it's probably has more to due with the upgrade from DDR2 to DD3. Yeah guess it's a lesson learned. As I said normally I due more research, but I saw all the 5 star reviews and said whatever anything would be an improvement over my old CPU and the price was good. I guess as I said a lesson learned! lol

Stock vs stock, a 6600K is going to be faster. However, given a decent motherboard, the Q9550 would have gotten over 3.5GHz easy, which would have put it on par or even slightly faster.

#8 Edited by Shatilov (4087 posts) -

when i read the title i though FM2 was a game or something .... damn these forums, they should separate them.