Fun joystick-centric games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SentientGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 SentientGames
Member since 2004 • 633 Posts

I just picked up a Saitek X-52 joystick and MS Flight Sim. Is it just me or are the graphics in that game really glitchy? Anyway, Flight Sim is both cool and boring at the same time, so I dove into Attack on Pearl Harbor. That game is pretty damn fun with a joystick.

Anyone have any suggestions for other good games to play with a joystick?

DrSbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DrSbaitso
Member since 2003 • 652 Posts
Tie Fighter and X Wing (note: NOT Tie Fighter vs X Wing). The collectors edition CD-Rom versions of these games (referred to as Tie Fighter95 and X Wing95) support USB joysticks, unfortunately the midi music has been lost in the update but these are the BEST games ever to use the joystick IMO
BornGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 BornGamer
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts
You need to get IL-2 Sturmovik or you might as well throw your joystick away.
SentientGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 SentientGames
Member since 2004 • 633 Posts

That's it? Not that I have anything against old games, but I was looking for something a bit newer. Besides, I played the hell out of Tie Fighter and X-Wing a long time ago.

Have developers given up on joysticks? MS Flight Sim, DarkStar One, and Attack on Pearl Harbor will only get me so far...

asnfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 asnfan
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I quite enjoy playing first person shooters like Unreal Tournament with a joystick in the left hand (for movement) and a mouse in the right hand (for shooting). It takes a little bit of getting used to at first, but once you do it just seems so much smoother and more natural than keyboard to move and mouse to shoot.
Ein-7919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ein-7919
Member since 2003 • 3490 Posts
  • X3 - Terran Conflict
  • DCS: Black Shark
  • Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos (older)
  • Lock On: Modern Air Combat (older)
  • Falcon 4.0 (older)
  • H.A.W.X. (arcade flight combat...I can't even bring myself to call it an arcadey flight sim)
khhsdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 khhsdude
Member since 2005 • 84 Posts

Freespace 2 is pretty good.

The open source project for it also has a number of mods availabe as well if you are into that kind of thing.

Ein-7919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ein-7919
Member since 2003 • 3490 Posts

Ah nuts...I just noticed that I got sucked into one of these.

Asnfan: this thread is nearly two years old. If the TC hasn't found something for his/her Saitek X-52 by now, chances are that he/she stopped looking a loooong time ago. Please don't bump threads that are this old.

kalei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kalei
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts

Don't feel bad, dude. Forum threads last forever, don't they? Besides, I just now googled "best games for joystick" and up this came. I just bought FS 2004 (my system can't handle FS X I think) on eBay, and it's cool but the flight instructor's annoying. I wanted to find some "yank and bank" or other type of fun games for a joystick, so I appreciate your suggestions.

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 DeadManRollin
Member since 2003 • 4406 Posts
Get Combat Flight Simulator 98, if you can find it. Also there's HAWX which is resource hungry, but a fun, accessible game. Crimson Skies is good, too. I think there's a PC version for Raiden, too, but that's not really a flight SIM...more of a 2D thingy. You should have bought a xbox360 gamepad instead--joysticks are pretty much useless apart from flight SIMs, but you can easily play most flight sims and a wide array of other games using a gamepad.