Frontier : Elite Dangerous on PC will be future proof title

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#1 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Eurogamer Writes :

Frontier Developments is aiming to future proof open world space game Elite: Dangerous so it stays relevant for years after launch.

Frontier chief David Braben told Eurogamer that the developer is adding a raft of graphical effects to the game that some players won't have a powerful enough PC to enable. But there are plenty of graphical sliders and checks that should help the game run on a variety of specifications when Elite launches proper before the end of 2014.

"We're going through some wonderful effects internally that look truly beautiful, and we're saying, that slows the frame-rate a bit, doesn't it?" Braben told Eurogamer at the Develop conference last week.

"And we say yes, but we don't mind, because it looks so beautiful. But what we're going to do is attach it to this part of the detail slider. Or we'll call it out as a tick box."

The hope is that with the help of Moore's Law, which predicts that computing power will increase significantly every two years, and ever cheaper prices of graphics cards, Elite will continue to look impressive for years to come.

"Moore's law is our friend," Braben said.

"Even if your PC of today can't run with all the features on, your PC of tomorrow might."

In the current beta build of the game, you can take a screenshot by pressing the F10 button. But if you also hold down the alt button you get a HD screenshot of four times the resolution of what your rendering the game out at. The way it works is the game will briefly go into the high resolution, write out your screenshot, then go back again. This, Braben said, provides a glimpse at the Elite: Dangerous of the future.

"That's great because you start to see the richness," Braben said. "All our models are so detailed. We've got 4K coming now. It pushes today's graphics card to do 4K. I'm not pretending we're there yet. There's 8K in the wings. You can't buy 8K TVs yet, but you can buy 8K cameras. 8K TVs can't be that far away. It's just thinking, actually, that's going to traumatise today's PCs, even the top end workstations with things like Titan Blacks in them. But, that hardware will go on getting better and cheaper.

"And so I love the idea of being pretty future proofed."

Source

Braben also discusses alot of other stuff , so make sure to click source link above for more info .

I think this is how every AAA PC game should be made . Support for lower end machines and something rewarding for the ones who own High End PCs . What you think .

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Is this like EvE ?

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

Is this like EvE ?

that's a pretty vague question man. I think elite is more similar to the X3 series..which is named the offline version of Eve online by its fans

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside

@lawlessx said:

@FelipeInside said:

Is this like EvE ?

that's a pretty vague question man. I think elite is more similar to the X3 series..which is named the offline version of Eve online by its fans

Sorry for being vague.

My question was more specifically is this an MMO like EvE, or is it a single player game with PvP? etc.?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@lawlessx said:

@FelipeInside said:

Is this like EvE ?

Eve in which you actually pilot your ship, but yes it's like a multiplayer version of X.

-Byshop

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Get ready for all the complaining about it being poorly optimized then when people think their machine should run it at max settings.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Byshop  Moderator

@pelvist said:

Get ready for all the complaining about it being poorly optimized then when people think their machine should run it at max settings.

Runs fine on my machine. Silky smooth at full settings except when I'm running at 7680x1200.

-Byshop

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

@Byshop said:

@pelvist said:

Runs fine on my machine. Silky smooth at full settings except when I'm running at 7680x1200.

-Byshop

It isnt that demanding atm as it doesnt include the settings and effects they have planned for the final version as described in the OP.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58460 Posts

I generally don't care now, as long as a game looks decent and runs nice, good enough.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

Is this like EvE ?

not remotely

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside
@Byshop said:

@lawlessx said:

@FelipeInside said:

Is this like EvE ?

Eve in which you actually pilot your ship, but yes it's like a multiplayer version of X.

-Byshop

Ok, but is it like an MMO with a vast universe to explore and do missions, or just arenas like a COD game?

Also, does it have some sort of demo or trial to try it out?

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

Only 11 more days for the next huge update!! can't bloody wait!

And i could Listen to David Braben talk about space all day :P

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@Byshop said:

@lawlessx said:

@FelipeInside said:

Is this like EvE ?

-Byshop

Ok, but is it like an MMO with a vast universe to explore and do missions, or just arenas like a COD game?

Also, does it have some sort of demo or trial to try it out?

Put it this way you will be able to visit everyone of these systems in this galaxy map

Loading Video...

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

WOW stunning graphics, I actually wait for this more than Star Citizen

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

How long until we can spend a normal game price on the game to play?

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

How long until we can spend a normal game price on the game to play?

on the 27th the standard beta will cost $75 and after that the game will cost $50

my guess is Q4

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

So what's the consensus on here about how the game plays? Is it worth the beta price of entry? The game looks quite amazing and my buddy seems to like it but how much depth is there currently to the game? Is there $75 worth of content in there right now?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Byshop  Moderator

@jer_1 said:

So what's the consensus on here about how the game plays? Is it worth the beta price of entry? The game looks quite amazing and my buddy seems to like it but how much depth is there currently to the game? Is there $75 worth of content in there right now?

Probably worth the $75, but not worth the $150 for the Premium Beta that's out now (if for no reason other than the fact that you can wait 9 days and pay half the price). I bought into the Premium Beta and I've been enjoying it, but I'm also a -huge- fan of games in this genre.

-Byshop

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jer_1

@Byshop said:

@jer_1 said:

Probably worth the $75, but not worth the $150 for the Premium Beta that's out now (if for no reason other than the fact that you can wait 9 days and pay half the price). I bought into the Premium Beta and I've been enjoying it, but I'm also a -huge- fan of games in this genre.

-Byshop

I was just on their store page and it says you can buy it now for $75 and play until the beta hits next week. Am I wrong or can you just pick it up now and be good to go?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Byshop  Moderator

@jer_1: Yeah, there are 8 single player missions that were included in the earlier packages that you can play. They are just single combat missions with no exploration or trading but I guess you can play them now.

-Byshop

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

I lurved Frontier sooo much on my Amiga. BUT as I've been scorned by Crap_Dogs I'll be waiting for reviews.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jer_1

Good point, I think I'm just going to wait it out for release now that I look into what you get against the price. The game does look fun and so far I've been told that they have the hotas controls set up better than Star Citizen so I'm excited to see how it performs. Come release I'll get this one for sure!

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

What I like to no is will there be a boxed version or at least a steam version as don't want to buy it from there store.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jer_1

@skipper847 said:

What I like to no is will there be a boxed version or at least a steam version as don't want to buy it from there store.

Yeah, so far as I know there will be plenty of boxed versions. I'm unsure of the steam release though.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Space exploration is so boring.....

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

thanks for clicking the thread and sharing your useless observation

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Is there more to the game other than dog fighting?

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

@thehig1:

Its what X-rebirth should have been like so its got everything including trade and what loos like a good cockpit and seen that the tracker will be used as well to look around the cockpit.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Byshop  Moderator

@ShepardCommandr said:

Says the guy unimaginatively named after the main character of a game about space exploration.

-Byshop

Avatar image for delete-simplyfatal
delete-SimplyFatal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By delete-SimplyFatal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

@Byshop : @ShepardCommandr owned.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Despite how "future-proof" these new space titles are, on the surface they all look dangerously similar in the graphics depratment, and absolutely none of them I've found particularly jaw dropping despite how hefty their requirements are. Perhaps by their nature they're just system intensive? I get it - everything is super detailed and high resolution, but why is everything still so far away from a general photorealistic look? Even Crysis captured elements of photorealism in 2007, I feel like these titles should be looking more and more like real life.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@skipper847 said:

@thehig1:

Its what X-rebirth should have been like so its got everything including trade and what loos like a good cockpit and seen that the tracker will be used as well to look around the cockpit.

looked into it more, it seems very in depth and detailed

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FelipeInside

@Byshop said:

@ShepardCommandr said:

Says the guy unimaginatively named after the main character of a game about space exploration.

-Byshop

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

@KHAndAnime: I think the closer you try to hit the ultimate look, the more powerful technology needs to be to render it all in real time - which would cost way too much for most people to afford the technology, which means there's no reason for devs to spend so much to target so few people. It's easy to make things look a hell of a lot better from a jump of 500 polygons to 150,000, but then you need a lot more power just to improve visually on the smallest of things.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

@FelipeInside:

To answer your question felipe..Its a mmorpg where u can trade mining, missions an so forth..As of right now just trading is available..There working on missions an mining atm..Beta one will bring in grouping with your friend an a chat window i think a chat window..How ever its a vast game but mostly it is pvp if you get into trouble..High learning curve to get to know your ship..Its a game of yesteryear where things where not easy to learn but easy to pick up an years to master..Its a game thats built to last for 10 years to follow..Expansions will allow walking on planets an landing on them..Its a persistent universe..Right now its awesome to play but tomorrow will bring riches to the game..So kick back felipe my friend get into a game that isnt easy to learn but fun in the same..Become that trader miner, bounty hunter..Explore the milky way galaxy as only you can discover things others havent on your own time or with friends..But beware pirates are out there to target you..That is elite in a nut shell my old friend..

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Wonder how the single-player portion will be. They have said there will be single-player, but all they ever talk about is the MMO content.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#40  Edited By Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

Hmm. "Future Proof" huh? The character "Future" in the movie '8 Mile' was based on a real hip-hop MC named "Proof."

I don't see why Frontier Developments had to go draggin' the 313 into this, yo. Represent. Represent.