Freedom Force: Freedom Pack vs Alpha Protocol

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

Freedom Force: Freedom Pack vs Alpha Protocol

Which would be the better experience?

I'm finally near the end of my buying spree, and these are the last two on the list, but I'm only buying one, so any help would be appreciated.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Don't you ever EVER talk about the shitty throw away waste of good use of an engine called Alpha Protocol, seriously how can company take an easy great graphic engine (Unreal) and make example that even so it could happen to create such a shitty game.

Comparing Freedom Force which is one of the loved super heroes game in all times to shitty cheap action RPG like Alpha is no compare at all.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

To be honest I liked Alpha Protocol a lot. I feel like it was under delievered for sure, but still a lot of fun and a great system. Freedom Force is awesome and I have not played it in ages.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

Don't you ever EVER talk about the shitty throw away waste of good use of an engine called Alpha Protocol, seriously how can company take an easy great graphic engine (Unreal) and make example that even so it could happen to create such a shitty game.

Comparing Freedom Force which is one of the loved super heroes game in all times to shitty cheap action RPG like Alpha is no compare at all.

Going to have to disagree with you on Alpha Protocol.

I'll admit that there are some bugs and it's somewhat clunky to play. It's far from perfect.

But It does have essentially the best example of your choices affecting not only what happens directly afterwards but also how the entire story pans out, Which makes you feel like the things you have done and said actually matters. And I believe that deserve praise.

Though I suspect this might be the regional difference again as was visible if you compared US reviews to European reviews regarding Alpha Protocol.

Suffice to say, In my opinion, If you can overlook some of it's short comings and the appeal of spies suit your taste, then I'd say you'd have one of the best Spy games on your hands with Alpha Protocol. If lack of fantastic graphics and some clunky gameplay will put you off then you're probably best to steer away from it.

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

Yeah, I think I've decided on Alpha Protocol.

I just found out that Ken Levine had a lot to do with the direction of Freedom Force, and to be honest, Mr. Levine makes me sick to my stomach.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GeryGo  Moderator

No, my main complain was that it had great potential and the result was broken game with missing animations and I forgot what else because I've erased it after level 2 because I was so pissed off by the gameplay.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I am really surprised this hasn't been a more tapped sub genre.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

No, my main complain was that it had great potential and the result was broken game with missing animations and I forgot what else because I've erased it after level 2 because I was so pissed off by the gameplay.

Awesome, I'm glad you're so angry about something you didn't actually spend time with

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GeryGo  Moderator

@Jaysonguy said:

@PredatorRules said:

Awesome, I'm glad you're so angry about something you didn't actually spend time with

Can you play a broken game? sorry not my style to endure the mistakes that the devs done; same goes with the crappy ass port called Dark Souls

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Alpha Protocol is pretty damn incredible, I highly recommend it. Give it some time, though, it takes a level or two to grow on you. It is highly replayable, though.

Freedom Force is pretty awesome though too.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

I loved Alpha Protocol and it seems like a lot of other people here did as well. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#12  Edited By kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Alpha Protocol is probably the most underrated rpg this gen.

Sure the controls and animations are meh, but the dialogue, the story, the characters and the choices that actually mean something where very well done.

I am a big fan of Freedom Force to, but in the end I gotta go with Alpha Protocol, underrated gem from this gen imo. I remember thinking the game would suck and then I played it around when ME2 came out, I had WAY more fun on AP than I did ME2.

Also a huge LOL to the thread starter, I was going to say "its your opinion, I respect it", until I saw you post that the game is "unplayable" and "I only played the game till level 2". How can a game be broken or unplayable if I beat it 3 times with no crashes? How can you play a game for 20 mins and make a judgement on it?

Yes the animations are trash and the mini games sucked, but everything else I loved. If you gave up on the game after 2 hours I honestly feel really bad for you that you give up on games after 25minutes.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Freedom Force was great fun, Alpha Protocol was boring and felt clunky to play.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

@PredatorRules:

Don't listen to this guy about alpha protocol first its not broken..He just doesn't realize its a rpg..Second you improve your shooting bye putting points into your gun..This guy thinks the mechanics are broken not true..Alpha protocol is a awesome game buy it..Trust me you wont regret it..

Freedom force one an two are also worthy a bit dated but its held its own..Im not sure if people are having issue running the game on windows 8..How ever its the comic stories in these two games that make it awesome..

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@Gladestone1 said:

@PredatorRules:

Don't listen to this guy about alpha protocol first its not broken..He just doesn't realize its a rpg..Second you improve your shooting bye putting points into your gun..This guy thinks the mechanics are broken not true..Alpha protocol is a awesome game buy it..Trust me you wont regret it..

No, you see it's basically an action RPG just like Deus Ex... you see where I'm going? you know when you see a f*cked up game where you can compare same genre and clearly know which is a better to choose.

GS review: "THE BAD Flaky, glitchy cover mechanics Bland visuals further marred by texture pop-in and bad animations Terrible AI affects both the shooting and the stealth" got score of 6.

Overall users score: 7.2.

You know what IGN got for it's review? "The good: Decision Making" - OMG THANK GOD, it's a new era where you get RPG and you can decide what to do ^o^ isn't that wonderful?!

Got 6.3.

Freedom Force got 8.7 and from users got 8.3

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pelvist

I disagree, Alpha Protocol was shit.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Clunkyness and terrible mini-games aside, AP was pretty decent for what it was - an attempt at a cinematic, story-driven, lite-RPG with a healthy dose of player reactivity (choices that actually mattered).

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19568 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@Gladestone1 said:

@PredatorRules:

No, you see it's basically an action RPG just like Deus Ex... you see where I'm going? you know when you see a f*cked up game where you can compare same genre and clearly know which is a better to choose.

Uh, Deus Ex had exactly the same shooting mechanics as Alpha Protocol. You couldn't hit anything unless you put points into those weapons.

Still, you're right, Deus Ex has better gameplay. Alpha Protocol is still the better RPG though - its roleplaying mechanics are vastly superior to Deus Ex's.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@Gladestone1 said:

@PredatorRules:

GS review: "THE BAD Flaky, glitchy cover mechanics Bland visuals further marred by texture pop-in and bad animations Terrible AI affects both the shooting and the stealth" got score of 6.

Overall users score: 7.2.

You know what IGN got for it's review? "The good: Decision Making" - OMG THANK GOD, it's a new era where you get RPG and you can decide what to do ^o^ isn't that wonderful?!

Got 6.3.

Freedom Force got 8.7 and from users got 8.3

Could care less what some websites scored the game, I had a blast playing it. Gamesites also have been giving games like COD great scores for the same game over n over again. I judge games myself, not what others tell me about them. Glad I didn't listen to the reviews and tried this one. I can live with the crap animations and mini games since I got choices that mattered, some good dialogue, an interesting story and a very high fun factor. I thought this game was going to be crap but boy was I wrong. If you only play games that websites score high then you are missing out on some great games.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Lets see most of the people on this post seam to enjoy alpha protocol..As I did myself, so give it a shot at 7 bucks u cant really go wrong..The boss battles are fun..Very challenging at times..

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pelvist

Fans do tend to be louder than the people who just dont care about crap games. No one has said a bad thing about Freedom Force yet. It may be quite old now but both the Freedom Force games where great games and by far the most fun of the two. While there is nothing wrong with asking for opinions, expect people to argue about theirs. Your best bet is to look at some game play of both games on Youtube and then decide for yourself.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

Ya, I have to agree. I uninstalled after 10 minutes. I've never seen such a clunky game. I was pissed that I wasted $2 on that crap.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58929 Posts

Freedom Force is a wonderful love letter to the silver age of comics. And generally speaking, one of the best superhero games ever made.

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

I didn't give AP much of a chance so it's hard to recommend for or against.

However, I enjoyed both FF thoroughly and would def recommend.