Fraps greatly slows down games when recording

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bullet_Holes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bullet_Holes
Member since 2006 • 1330 Posts

Everytime I try to record something with Fraps, the framerate dips to an unplayable level as soon as I start recording. Team Fortress 2 runs at about 100 fps, but as soon as I hit record, the frame rate dips to around 20 fps.

Just now I tried to record a replay I have in Peggle, but as soon as I hit record, the frame rate went to 2 fps. It always goes to a constant 2 fps every single time I try to record. I tried seeing if lowering the recording fps in Fraps would make a difference, but it didn't help at all.

Why is Fraps slowing down my games so much? Fraps videos on youtube always seem to run fine, so I don't understand why games go so slow whenever I record. Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#2 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
Its just what fraps does, it slows things down presumingly because its using a lot CPU power to do so.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Ummm it depends on stuff like your Ram and CPU power for it to work fine.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts
Also if you have multiple drives too. Having two harddrives lessons the lag alot play off the one and record onto the other.
Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts

If you watch one of my videos, you'll notice I have a good FPS rate at high settings with a rather modest computer. I record at half-size at 25 FPS. You can change these settings in the "Movies" section of the FRAPS program.

howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 howlrunner13
Member since 2005 • 4408 Posts

I think it is because Fraps records on the go, or something like that. It's also the reason recorded files are gigantic. I can't even use Fraps unless I'm already getting at least 40+ frames, because as soon as I turn it on it halves my framerate. Though it may be choppy ingame the recorded files should show smooth gameplay. Buut it doesn't really matter if you can't even play the game to record it.

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

Everytime I try to record something with Fraps, the framerate dips to an unplayable level as soon as I start recording. Team Fortress 2 runs at about 100 fps, but as soon as I hit record, the frame rate dips to around 20 fps.

Just now I tried to record a replay I have in Peggle, but as soon as I hit record, the frame rate went to 2 fps. It always goes to a constant 2 fps every single time I try to record. I tried seeing if lowering the recording fps in Fraps would make a difference, but it didn't help at all.

Why is Fraps slowing down my games so much? Fraps videos on youtube always seem to run fine, so I don't understand why games go so slow whenever I record. Any ideas?

Thanks

Bullet_Holes
you are supposed to take a frame rate hit when you boot up fraps but 80 fps?! lets see your specs...
Bullet_Holes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bullet_Holes
Member since 2006 • 1330 Posts

I have 4 gb ram, intel core 2 duo 3ghz processor, HD4850 graphics card, and windows vista 64 bit. I have another hard drive that has nothing on it, and I just tried having the video save to my other hard drive, but it is still just as slow. At least for Peggle it is.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

I was recording M:TW and my FPS was about 60-70. Set fraps on at 30FPS (max res) dropped down to 28-29ish. I was saving to another harddrive to avoid a performance loss there. I moved it up my FPS a tad and it helped run at about 30fps, but it took up too much harddrive space. I think it might force the game to run at a slower FPS so it can record?

mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
If you're recording for internet you prolly won't need huge resolutions, so I'd advice playing at a lower resolution and letting fraps record at full size. You could try checking 'no sync' too. And I'm not sure but I think that if fraps is set to record at 25fps it will cap your in-game framerate to that.
gmark13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gmark13
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Try online video recording software like screenjelly.com. Instead of having to install a program and devote computer resources toward recording your game, it can take a video of what's going on on your screen out of a browser window. If you want to be able to edit your video, try screentoaster.com by the same company, it lets you download your clips in .mov or .flv filetypes.
MrWednesday14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrWednesday14
Member since 2009 • 386 Posts

If I could hijack this thread briefly:

Why when I'm recording with Fraps does my recording stop automatically around the one minute mark? It does this without any input from me and it's extremely hard to get the footage I want when working within those constraints. Is that just what Fraps does or do I need to change a setting?

Thanks

Tyetonious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tyetonious
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

i know it souds silly, but...

Have you made sure there are no programs running in the background that are not being used! once you have done this there is more that you can do!

Download Game Booster... This shuts down alot of programs in the background that are running that i can never seem to do manually.

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

it also does other stuff i think aswell, but even if its not for games, just mucking about on windows i find my PC is quite abit faster... loading times for folders etc etc... So give that a try, i know alot of gamers with low end machines that have to use it to run some games... run well anyway xD

For me there is no way out as my comp must be dreadfull! on 30fps fullsize is slows CS:S (Counter-Strike: Source) down to 7 fps from 50 - 60 fps >.< so i have to get someone else do it for me :(