For anyone who like to fiddle with windows

This topic is locked from further discussion.

geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts

Tonight I came up with an idea which actually works so well, that I would like to ask some people who like to fiddle with windows to give it a try and share your expierences.

What you need:

A fast PC and internet connection and enough physical RAM to spare, say anything higher then 8 Gb. In this example I'll use my own setup:

i7, 12 Gb RAM, 50 Mbps internet connection.

1) Create a virtual RAMdisc using this freeware of at least 1 Gb. This will be a closed block in your physcial RAM that's permanently in use and is made into a drive.

2) Redirect your browser cache to this RAM drive.

3) Enjoy your new superfast cached internet. Sites (provided that they are hosted on a fast server) open almost instantaneously. It's ridiculous how well this works.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

Tonight I came up with an idea which actually works so well, that I would like to ask some people who like to fiddle with windows to give it a try and share your expierences.

What you need:

A fast PC and internet connection and enough physical RAM to spare, say anything higher then 8 Gb. In this example I'll use my own setup:

1) Create a virtual RAMdisc using this freeware of at least 1 Gb. This will be a closed block in your physcial RAM that's permanently in use and is made into a drive.

3) Enjoy your new superfast cached internet. Sites (provided that they are hosted on a fast server) open almost instantaneously. It's ridiculous how well this works.

geitenvla
nice man !
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

What you need:

geitenvla
Great idea dude, but useless, lol.... Still a fun weekend project though.
geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 geitenvla

[QUOTE="geitenvla"]

What you need:

FelipeInside

Ok, but why does it work on both my gaming rig and my 5 year old laptop? Have you tried it? It isn't really a weekend project, five minutes of your time will be enough.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="geitenvla"]

What you need:

geitenvla

Ok, but why does it work on both my gaming rig and my 5 year old laptop? Have you tried it? It isn't really a weekend project, five minutes of your time will be enough.

I never said it didn't work, I just said it was a bit useless, lol.....
geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 geitenvla

[QUOTE="geitenvla"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Great idea dude, but useless, lol.... Still a fun weekend project though.FelipeInside

I'm seriously gaining speed in site loading. How is that useless?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside

geitenvla

You aren't gaining speed, it just seems that way cause of the RAMDisk Caching.

Caching also sometimes makes you see an outdated website when not configured properly.

I guess for a really old slow computer it might have it's advantages, but in today's day and age with a normal PC and good internet, it's not worth it imo.

Now, using that idea of yours for File Transfer, there it can have it's advantages.

geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 geitenvla

[QUOTE="geitenvla"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I never said it didn't work, I just said it was a bit useless, lol.....FelipeInside

Caching also sometimes makes you see an outdated website when not configured properly.

I guess for a really old slow computer it might have it's advantages, but in today's day and age with a normal PC and good internet, it's not worth it imo.

Now, using that idea of yours for File Transfer, there it can have it's advantages.

I'm willing to make a fool out of myself by saying that it does work. At least here it does on two separate systems. It doesn't seem like it's faster, it actually is. Try it!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="geitenvla"]

geitenvla

I'm willing to make a fool out of myself by saying that it does work. At least here it does on two separate systems. It doesn't seem like it's faster, it actually is. Try it!

It's ok dude. If you think it's faster and it's helping you out then that's fine.
geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 geitenvla

[QUOTE="geitenvla"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

FelipeInside

It's ok dude. If you think it's faster and it's helping you out then that's fine.

Ok, I'll take the fall for this... but it would be nice of you to explain the error in my thinking instead off cutting me of like that. Why isn't it possible, according to you, to notice any difference?

Caching from the net (or in general) means two thing imo:

1) It has to be loaded from the net to your drive
2) It has to be loaded from the drive to your RAM

So, direct writing to RAM would skip both steps and read/write the data direct into the MUCH faster (than any given harddrive) physical system memory which also happens to relieve the drive from caching activities.

Now, I'm not saying I improved my internet speed beyond belief, but my internet feels more seamless. Before I wrote my cache directly to RAM, pages sometimes had to load for 2 or 3 seconds; a good example would be google.maps. Also, most of the times the page has to build up while it's on screen (load vids, pics etc,). Normaly, this goes fast... now that I redirected my cache it goes almost instantaneous. I really can feel the difference.

It's ok if you don't think it's working, but at least tell me why it would never work or try it out yourself and share that expierence.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

This should only work in theory if your internet connection is faster than your hard drive, which isn't going to happen.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside

geitenvla

Ok, I'll take the fall for this... but it would be nice of you to explain the error in my thinking instead off cutting me of like that. Why isn't it possible, according to you, to notice any difference?

Caching from the net (or in general) means two thing imo:

1) It has to be loaded from the net to your drive
2) It has to be loaded from the drive to your RAM

So, direct writing to RAM would skip both steps and read/write the data direct into the MUCH faster (than any given harddrive) physical system memory which also happens to relieve the drive from caching activities.

Now, I'm not saying I improved my internet speed beyond belief, but my internet feels more seamless. Before I wrote my cache directly to RAM, pages sometimes had to load for 2 or 3 seconds; a good example would be google.maps. Also, most of the times the page has to build up while it's on screen (load vids, pics etc,). Normaly, this goes fast... now that I redirected my cache it goes almost instantaneous. I really can feel the difference.

It's ok if you don't think it's working, but at least tell me why it would never work or try it out yourself and share that expierence.

The only reason I can see that you might be seeing a speed difference is because your PC (the old one mostly) is slow and therefore the caching give the illusion of faster Internet. The caching thing is only really necessary if you have really limited bandwidth or you need to have lots of PCs downloading at the same time. For 1-2 CURRENT PCs it's useless to set up since the HDD/RAM/PC will be 100 times faster than your Internet Connection. Like I said before too, you can get outdated webpages. Now, there has been 4 different people (apart from me) that have told you that it's not worth it (here and in the other thread you created). If you still want to believe it is, that's fine, I have nothing against it.
geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 geitenvla

To all of you who doubt my speed increase: http://lifehacker.com/5687850/speed-up-firefox-by-moving-your-cache-to-ram-no-ram-disk-required

I didn't know it was possible from within Firefox, but at least now I know I'm not imagining my cache speed increase. I still keep the RAMdisk though, I like to use it for fast file handling.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside

To all of you who doubt my speed increase: http://lifehacker.com/5687850/speed-up-firefox-by-moving-your-cache-to-ram-no-ram-disk-required

I didn't know it was possible from within Firefox, but at least now I know I'm not imagining my cache speed increase. I still keep the RAMdisk though, I like to use it for fast file handling.

geitenvla
No one doubted you, we just said it's not worth it. The speed increase is more of an illusion really (although technically it RAM is faster than HDD). It can also cause problems though. If it was really useful then everyone would use it. Read the comments on that link I posted and you re-posted here.
hamelkarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 hamelkarl
Member since 2009 • 207 Posts

This could probably help if you visit a few number of webpages and don't restart your browser often (closing the browser might also be slower if it needs to move the stuffs back to the hdd too). For webpage that you never visited before, I'm almost sure it will be actually slower. You shouldn't have that much improvment either, probably something around 0.25 secs faster for the pages you visit the most...