Foam filter for intake fans...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts

I'm considering buying some air conditioner filters for my Antec 900, I'm sure it will reduce dust but can anyone comment on air flow and temps?

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

^I'd like to know this too. Recently found a fan controller and now I want some dust filters because being on the floor (at my house :P) makes it take in way too much dust and pet hair.

Krayzie_3334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Krayzie_3334
Member since 2006 • 1303 Posts

I can't comment on the Antec 900 or Foam filters, But I do a similar method for my P183 with an cheap $3 air Filter you can buy almost anywhere.

And it works great at dust/hair filtering and air flow, especially over the crappy wire mesh & Foam filter cut outs that came with the case.

I gone for a cheap air filter because it's not as fine threaded and more spaced for better airflow while it still collects fantastically, you flatten it out and cut out the sections for the front fans, the filter has a Wire frame on the back so you can mold it's shape to fit pretty much anything you want.

one filter slide is enough to fit my PC case two times, Each cut out will last you 2-3months before you have to cutout the other half and another 2-3 Months before you have to buy another filter slide, which for $3 for 6 month it great for how fantastic they work.

-

I live next to farm Fields and at harvest time Dust goes completely insane around here and these filters turn almost black at times, Before when I opened my case you could physically see allot of dust now there's still dust that gets in but it's definitely been cut down a good 80-90%.

-

Again I can't comment on the Antec 900 but I can't imagine the resaults being to different.

Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
I used to have foam filters on my pc, but they showed dust really quickly. I may switch back though, since they look so nice.. I went with blue A/C filters this time around, but I had to wrap electrical tape around the frayed edges...
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
^ What is that huge thing on the side of your PC? I've never seen a rig with one.. and I've seen LOTS. Just curious.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

^ What is that huge thing on the side of your PC? I've never seen a rig with one.. and I've seen LOTS. Just curious.Elann2008

Looks like the thingy used for water cooling. Called blocks or radiators, something.

Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
Yeah, it's the radiator for my liquid cooling system. I know, I know.. An engine cooler is a bit overboard, lol. But the copper pipes are even internally heatsinked, and I plan on passing this rig down to my oldest son next year, so I want to keep everything as cool as possible...
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#8 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Obviously an intake fan without dust filter works better but you get more dust.

What I really dont know is if it is better to leave a well ventilated space as it is instead of putting a dust filter and an intake fan on it.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

Yes, there is a compromise of air flow. Also it makes your PC queiter!

I would personally use dust filters because the slightly worse cooling is worth having a considerably less dusty PC.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I didnt get foam filters. I use these Silverstone dust filters. I find they do a well enough job at blocking dust particles.