First time gaming pc customer: feedback please?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by lazhyz (23 posts) -

For PC gamers everywhere

I'm looking to get a gaming pc, and frankly, being a first time buyer I have NO IDEA what I'm doing/looking at. I've played consoles for a good long time and am looking for a long lasting gaming laptop from the start. I've been referred to cyberpowerpc.com to buy my custom laptop, and I'm looking to spend around $2000. My specs will be at the bottom. If anyone has any comments or feedback on what I can expect from my laptop/what changes I should probably make, please feel free to comment! The hope is to play games like crisis 3 on ultra settings, and future games on standard to above standard settings. (Also if anyone thinks I should go for a tower and reasons why, that's very much welcome, too) Thanks! :)

The laptop will have a 17.3 inch 1080p display

•CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4800MQ Mobile Processor 2.70 GHz 6M Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 3.70 GHz [+46]

•HDD: 1 TB 7200RPM SATA300 Hard Drive [-4]

•MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3-1600 SODIMM Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)

•MOTHERBOARD: Mobile Intel HM87 Express Chipset Mainboard

•SOUND: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro External Sound Card w/ THX TruStudio & EAX 5.0 [+31]

•VIDEO: NVIDIA GTX 780M 4GB PCIe Video (NB-FANG-202)

Cost: 2054

#2 Edited by Bikouchu35 (7016 posts) -

Please do yourself a favor and get a tower by all means. A self built would be even better money wise. Laptops in general are hard to impossible to upgrade along with the premium you pay for lesser performance. The screen is too small too for home use, you are going to end up plugging into a monitor or tv anyway.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229462

Something like this will get you started, but even then if you could put it together yourself than that would be even better.

#3 Posted by Gammit10 (2127 posts) -

That seems like overkill to me, but overall it looks pretty beefy. The i7 cpus are usually quite good and 16 GB of RAM is about double what I'd recommend your average buyer. The only thing that could be a getcha is the video card which are usually quite underpowered in notebooks. But, I am not that familiar with this particular video card, so it could be good.

#4 Posted by guynamedbilly (12891 posts) -

Please do yourself a favor and get a tower by all means. A self built would be even better money wise. Laptops in general are hard to impossible to upgrade along with the premium you pay for lesser performance. The screen is too small too for home use, you are going to end up plugging into a monitor or tv anyway.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229462

Something like this will get you started, but even then if you could put it together yourself than that would be even better.

I agree if at all possible to get a tower instead. You can buy a good gaming pc and a decent laptop too for that price if you need something portable.

#5 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2528 posts) -

Get a tower and let the gamespot users suggest the parts for you. Just tell us the price. Trust me. Trust US. lol seriously tho we know

#6 Edited by 666TRYME666 (45 posts) -

@Bikouchu35: Did you even read his post? He said he wants a gaming laptop not a tower.

#7 Edited by kraken2109 (12682 posts) -

With a $2000 budget you could get a desktop for gaming that would easily beat a laptop for that money and have enough left over to get a laptop that actually works as a laptop (i.e. one you can lift with more than 2 hours battery life)

#8 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7016 posts) -

Maybe you should read instead or TRY again troll.

@Bikouchu35: Did you even read his post? He said he wants a gaming laptop not a tower.

@lazhyz said:

(Also if anyone thinks I should go for a tower and reasons why, that's very much welcome, too) Thanks! :)

#9 Posted by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

Awesome lappy, but a tonne of wasted money, you could run 780 Ti SLI for the same cost and have around 3.5x the GPU power.

#10 Edited by DJ_Headshot (6130 posts) -

It's a great laptop if your set on getting a gaming laptop to last you a while. You can get much better performance with a desktop better performance for your money especially if you build it yourself and you have cheaper upgrade options as you can just upgrade the gpu when need be unlike replacing the whole laptop. But as far as laptop goes GTX780M is a beast its basically a desktop GTX 680 which at 1080p it can handle even the most demanding pc games at high settings with good frame rates.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-780M.88993.0.html

#11 Posted by lazhyz (23 posts) -

@Bikouchu35: If I have a secondary SSD do I need a cooling system for that? Or just the 1TB HDD?

#12 Posted by osan0 (12375 posts) -

is there any reason why you want a laptop rather than a desktop? a desktop will cost a lot less (or give a lot more performance for the same money).

the only reason i am getting a laptop is because i have absolutely nowhere to set a desktop up and i need to be able to move from place to place quickly.

anywho the spec you have there is pretty much the same as the one i am going to go for. if you need to save money then get an i7 4700MQ instead of the 4800MQ and go for 8GB of ram instead of 16GB (that can be upgraded later). dont cut back on the GPU unless you absolutely need to. it cant be replaced and will have the biggest effect on gaming performance.

if you can spring for it i would also go for an SSD instead of the HDD. a decent capacity can still be pricey though but worth it.

other than that though its a good spec for a laptop (well i hope it is as i am going pretty much for the same one :P).

#13 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7016 posts) -

@lazhyz said:

@Bikouchu35: If I have a secondary SSD do I need a cooling system for that? Or just the 1TB HDD?

Any aftermarket heatsinks, water, or any cooling solutions are typically for cpu(processor) and gpu(videocard). Hdd/ssd doesn't need cooling, ssd SHOULD be your primary os drive since you want the speed, and hdd is your storage which is slower.

If you meant laptop though than there is not much you can do with cooling.

#14 Edited by lazhyz (23 posts) -

@osan0:

All you guys have totally convinced me on a tower :)

#15 Posted by PredatorRules (6462 posts) -

Laptop will save you space, but gaming will be uncomfortable and almost none chance to upgrade your laptop