• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Behardy24 (3801 posts) -

I know RTS is sorta dead nowadays but I wondering what everyone's favorite old-school RTS was.

#2 Posted by PfizersaurusRex (677 posts) -

I don't know if it counts as old school but for me it's C&C Generals and Zero Hour expansion. That and Stronghold (first one, of course).

#3 Posted by groowagon (2800 posts) -

RTS is not dead! Planetary Annihilation to the rescue! it's only in beta atm, but it's gonna be awesome. being made by guys who made Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander.

my old-school favourites were Age Of Empires 2, Total Annihilation, Dune 2, Warcraft 3 etc.

#4 Edited by dethtrain (392 posts) -

Dawn of war and it's expansions. Not too crazy about Dawn of War 2.

#5 Edited by KHAndAnime (13621 posts) -

Starcraft, Stronghold, Rise of Nation are my favorites. Amazing RTS games, all drastically different in gameplay too.

#6 Edited by pl4yer_f0und (964 posts) -

Gotta go with Red Alert 2. Absolute gem, I love how westwood can inject personality into their games, or should I say used to. RIP Westwood.

#7 Posted by Sweetbackhair (1926 posts) -

I would say Company of Heroes 1 and 2, Dawn of War 2, and Warcraft 3.

#8 Edited by gameofthering (10196 posts) -

Old favourites = Age of Empires 2 & Total Annihilation

New favourite = Starcraft 2

#9 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16449 posts) -

I'm a real fan of historical RTS so Age of Empires, Company of Heroes and Age of Mythology are my favourites.

#10 Posted by Arthas045 (5169 posts) -

Warcraft 3 hands down followed by Red Alert.

#11 Posted by Gallowhand (476 posts) -

I had the most fun with Cossacks, Age of Empires series and Rise Of Nations. Unfortunately, they don't seem to make RTS games like those any more.

#12 Posted by RevanBITW (555 posts) -

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds

#13 Edited by with_teeth26 (6121 posts) -

In terms of old school RTS games, I'd go with the classic Westwood C&C titles like Red Alert/2 and Tiberium Sun. Homeworld is another gem from the 90's but I was really bad at it.

More recently, i'd go with the Company of Heroes series. the Dawn of War games and World in Conflict are also great but are more RTT games than RTS.

#14 Edited by kraken2109 (13029 posts) -

Red Alert 2 (and Yuri's revenge expansion)

Age of Empires 2

DOW and Dark Crusade expansion

#15 Posted by Trezay (32 posts) -

Age of empires 2 above all!
C&C: Red alert 2 and Generals
Star wars : galactic battlegrounds

Epic games of its time ! Age of empires 2 got a HD remake on steam also.

#16 Posted by Gammit10 (2261 posts) -

Command and Conquer games were amazing, as was the first Dawn of War and most of it's expansions.

#17 Posted by soolkiki (1763 posts) -

Battle for Middle Earth 2, Star Craft 1 & 2, Age of Empires 2, and the entire Total War series.

#18 Edited by Behardy24 (3801 posts) -
#19 Posted by zaza__ (21 posts) -

Gotta go with Red Alert 2. Absolute gem, I love how westwood can inject personality into their games, or should I say used to. RIP Westwood.

Westwood didn't make Red Alert 2, it was made by an entirely different company that had the name "Westwood" slapped on to add hype, a common EA practice (see the usage of the name "Bioware"). The actual Westwood devs had left long before Red Alert 2, when EA started bullying them.

And Red Alert 2 is no gem, EA did what it does best, turned a mature RTS story into something for pubescent boys.

RIP True Westwood:

#20 Posted by Assimilat0r (745 posts) -

@zaza__ said:

@pl4yer_f0und said:

Westwood didn't make Red Alert 2, it was made by an entirely different company that had the name "Westwood" slapped on to add hype, a common EA practice (see the usage of the name "Bioware"). The actual Westwood devs had left long before Red Alert 2, when EA started bullying them.

And Red Alert 2 is no gem, EA did what it does best, turned a mature RTS story into something for pubescent boys.

RIP True Westwood:

Are you idiot ? Red Alert and Red Alert 2 are products of Westwood if you are not smart enough just compare names and acters, they are all ex westwood members,.. from Joe Kucan (Kain) which is part of Red Alert 1, (man who is mostly compared to a byble Kain) he is immortal and he tries to rule the world and prepare it for Tiberium arrival. So Red Alert is pre tiberium, and they all explained it.

#21 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4650 posts) -

tie.

starcraft 1 / supreme commander

#22 Posted by Ballroompirate (22772 posts) -

Warcraft 3 + The Frozen Throne, the perfect RTS.

Honorable mentions: SC2 WoD + HotS, Total War series and the DoW series.

#23 Posted by Jag85 (4455 posts) -

Command & Conquer: Red Alert

Age of Empires

StarCraft

#24 Edited by PredatorRules (7805 posts) -

Still to this day C&C Generals

#25 Posted by uninspiredcup (8294 posts) -

Homeworld.

#26 Posted by bulby_g (1091 posts) -

Age of Empires, Homeworld, Anno (sort of an RTS), Dawn of War. In that order.

#27 Edited by zaza__ (21 posts) -

@Assimilat0r: I hope you're being sarcastic, nobody can be that stupid

#28 Posted by rdeo (14 posts) -

Dune, Empire Earth, Homeworld

#29 Posted by glez13 (8760 posts) -

Red Alert 2, Age of Empires 2 and Rise of Nations.

#30 Posted by Assimilat0r (745 posts) -

@zaza__: Yes i admit, i am so stupid even trying to reply you.

#31 Posted by Zelda187 (757 posts) -

Company of Heroes, hands down.

#32 Posted by Tokeism (2332 posts) -

Age of Empires 2

#33 Edited by zaza__ (21 posts) -

@Assimilat0r: You're not just stupid, you're also illiterate.

Red Alert and Red Alert 2 are products of Westwood

Yes Red Alert and Red Alert 2 were made by companies called Westwood but each had different group of developers. Again: RED ALERT 1 AND RED ALERT 2: SAME NAME, NO SAME DEVELOPERS.

It would help if you read the games' credits.

So I'll put my previous comment in bigger font, perhaps it can be easier to read:

from Joe Kucan (Kain) which is part of Red Alert 1, (man who is mostly compared to a byble Kain) he is immortal and he tries to rule the world and prepare it for Tiberium arrival.

What the heck does tiberium have to do with Red Alert 2?

And Joe Kucan took part in almost all EA C&C games, including Tiberian Twilight, so according to your logic all EA C&C games were made by Westwood.

#34 Posted by s-e-e-k (247 posts) -

It's an old one but Total Annihilation!

#35 Posted by Jimmy_Russell (666 posts) -

StarCraft II

#36 Posted by Vlokens (29 posts) -

Oh my god! WTF??? Nobody talked about RUSE???

I played AoEmpires 1, 2, 3, Starcraft, Rise of Nations, Company of Heroes, but after I played RUSE, I can no longer play any other RTS game.

Ruse has the best user interface of all games (all genres), you can zoom in/out in every part of the map. Also it seems to be the game most well-balanced, you really can come back everygame, the other games seem like "the-player-who-gets-the-best-unit-first-wins" kind of game...

#37 Posted by PyratRum (561 posts) -

Warcraft 3/TFT, Dawn of War, Dawn of War 2, Company of Heroes, Homeworld 2, C&C Generals, Red Alert 2

#38 Posted by MirkoS77 (7324 posts) -

Company of Heroes is by far my favorite RTS of all time. That game is utter brilliance from start to finish.

#39 Posted by Exiled_Paladin (52 posts) -

Am I the only one? Really..........

Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 1 and 2.

#40 Posted by pelvist (4716 posts) -

Total Annihilation is still my favorite.

#41 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5891 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

I'm a real fan of historical RTS so Age of Empires, Company of Heroes and Age of Mythology are my favourites.

I'm sorta the same way. Never could get into the scifi like Starcraft. I absolutely adored AoE2 even though RTS games are far from my favorite.

I could never get into CoH or Age of Mythology however.

But as the OP mentioned, RTS are far from dead. Starcraft 2 is making sure of that.

#42 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16449 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

I'm sorta the same way. Never could get into the scifi like Starcraft. I absolutely adored AoE2 even though RTS games are far from my favorite.

But as the OP mentioned, RTS are far from dead. Starcraft 2 is making sure of that.

Do you play a lot of starcraft ?

I really tried to get into Starcraft 2, and eventhough I somewhat liked the gamplay the setting wasn't for me. Not a real fan of sci fi either.

Warcraft was a great RTS though, really liked that one. Another one for my favourites list.

What are some RTS coming out this year ? I really can't think of that many...

#43 Posted by ZversusA (7 posts) -

I loved Empire Earth, the original. Nothing else really like it.

#44 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5891 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Cwagmire21 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Do you play a lot of starcraft ?

I really tried to get into Starcraft 2, and eventhough I somewhat liked the gamplay the setting wasn't for me. Not a real fan of sci fi either.

Warcraft was a great RTS though, really liked that one. Another one for my favourites list.

What are some RTS coming out this year ? I really can't think of that many...

I downloaded the Starter Edition for SC2. Tried to get into it as my friends used to play a of it, but just never found it fun. As I mentioned before RTS isn't really my thing.

Well, I'm not sure about new ones coming out, but I meant RTS being far from dead since SC2 is still so popular especially with esports.

#45 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16449 posts) -

I downloaded the Starter Edition for SC2. Tried to get into it as my friends used to play a of it, but just never found it fun. As I mentioned before RTS isn't really my thing.

Well, I'm not sure about new ones coming out, but I meant RTS being far from dead since SC2 is still so popular especially with esports.

I see. But TC is right in a way, since there are so few RTS releasing these days.

Starcraft 2 is one of the few huge RTS remaining popular. AOE II (HD) is also played a lot.

#46 Posted by Cobra_nVidia (1495 posts) -

Oooo let's see...

Age of Empires II, Rise of Nations, Sins of a Solar Empire, Total War, Divinity: Dragon Commander, Black and White 2.

Generally, I like larger scale RTS's, as opposed to ones with lots of "dialogue"

#47 Posted by mhofever (3954 posts) -

The most memorable experience I had with RTS would definitely be Age of Empires II. Though I did start playing Warcraft Orcs and Humans when I was a kid, I spent countless hours on AoE 2, building castles and walls around castles, and layers of walls around my cities.

#48 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2941 posts) -

Yeah RTS is dead because some so called analysts said so , just like how they said about PC gaming right .? Sarcasm .

Anyways , check series of these games .

Starcraft

Company of Heroes

Dawn of War

Total War

Wargame Series

World in Conflict

Men of War

There are new RTS coming out : Etherium , Men of War : Assault Squad 2 , new Warhammer game from Creative Assembly and probably new Wargame/Dawn of War/Total War .

#49 Posted by bowchicka07 (1073 posts) -

Lotr BFME II