fast way to sell off used pc games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by name294 (1463 posts) -

im trying to sell off some of my used pc games, all in good condition, for money so i can buy left 4 dead, which i've been hyped for for months. wat is a fast way i can do that, besides selling it to people in school. Also, i cannot sell it to gamestop, since they won't accept pc games.

while im at it, i might as well as include a random question: wat do u have to type in the console to change the crosshairs in left 4 dead? from the screenshots i saw, the crosshairs looked terrible, at least, in my opinion. i'm a fairly seasoned half life 2 and counterstrike source player, and i know to change the crosshairs in CSS, u type something like cs_crosshair scale 2500 or something, it has been a while since i've played, so i don't remember, but is left 4 dead the same console data?

problem solved, i successfully got the game

#2 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29702 posts) -
Try ebay or (I think you can use it) amazon.com.
#3 Posted by biggest_loser (24126 posts) -
Flea market?
#4 Posted by Captain__Tripps (4521 posts) -
Do you own a white van?
#5 Posted by PlzDuntBanMe (3277 posts) -
Do you own a white van?Captain__Tripps
OMG, LOL but, maybe ebay or amazon?
#6 Posted by SuperBeast (13227 posts) -
Craigslist is the fastest possible way....so long as you make it a deal.For example, if you had Dead Space and it still sold for $50....put the listing price as $25 to get it sold the next day. Even if GameStop did buy used PC games still, they wouldn't give you that much (probably $15 used) If you're looking long term, eBay is the best solution so long as you list them individually. My vote goes for craigslist though.
#7 Posted by Zorlac (348 posts) -
The problem with selling used PC games isthe CD key. That's the main reason it's illegal for retail stores to sell used or even opened PC games. Even if Gamestop does sell them opened, if someone wanted to bring up a lawsuit they probably could. Now selling them on e-bay or just at a yardsale or fleamarket is probably your best choice. And if it's an online game with a CD key you've used, unless you're being legit, and giving them the account info, then you shouldn't be reselling it at all.
#8 Posted by xAngels_Assasin (467 posts) -
Do you own a white van?Captain__Tripps
LMFAO , on topic Ebay.
#9 Posted by Captain__Tripps (4521 posts) -
The problem with selling used PC games isthe CD key. That's the main reason it's illegal for retail stores to sell used or even opened PC games. Even if Gamestop does sell them opened, if someone wanted to bring up a lawsuit they probably could. Now selling them on e-bay or just at a yardsale or fleamarket is probably your best choice. And if it's an online game with a CD key you've used, unless you're being legit, and giving them the account info, then you shouldn't be reselling it at all.Zorlac0666
Theres nothing wrong or illegal in selling used pc games, gamestop used to take pc games until whoever they merged with the last time... You can sell an online game that youve used, just quit using it. But yeah, ebay, amazon, craigslist are your best bets. What games are you selling?
#10 Posted by krazyorange (2640 posts) -
EB games sold them, Gamestop took over and changed that. Which is why gamestop is the hitler of the game store world. On topic, selling them in bulk is the only way to really get them sold, unless you are selling a bunch of newer (in the last several months) games for dirt cheap. The problem with amazon or ebay is that after shipping and handling which is about $5, most people aren't willing to pay more than a dollar or so for older games. But if you sold twenty or thirty together for a hefty sum, that would sell faster. And in the bundle listing, make a statement saying you are willing to sell individual titles, but don't list prices for each game.
#11 Posted by slyr114 (736 posts) -
also check and see if you have a store near you called half-priced-books they take all types of media including pc gmaes that have been opend
#12 Posted by adrake4183 (668 posts) -
[QUOTE="Zorlac0666"]The problem with selling used PC games isthe CD key. That's the main reason it's illegal for retail stores to sell used or even opened PC games. Even if Gamestop does sell them opened, if someone wanted to bring up a lawsuit they probably could. Now selling them on e-bay or just at a yardsale or fleamarket is probably your best choice. And if it's an online game with a CD key you've used, unless you're being legit, and giving them the account info, then you shouldn't be reselling it at all.Captain__Tripps
Theres nothing wrong or illegal in selling used pc games, gamestop used to take pc games until whoever they merged with the last time... You can sell an online game that youve used, just quit using it. But yeah, ebay, amazon, craigslist are your best bets. What games are you selling?

That's not true. It is illegal to sell used pc games because you don't technically own them. Read the EULA and it will almost always say you own only the right to play the game and that it is non transferable. This is very different than a console where you own the physical game. Even though it sounds weird, as far as the law is concerned you don't own that pc game dvd or cd that you bought.
#13 Posted by name294 (1463 posts) -
i think i''ll go with selling them online. i still have the cd keys and even the manuels. but i have no idea how to sell stuff online, don't u have to be age 18? also, how do u ship them over to the owner, is it by normal usual shipping methoids, like UPS? Also, don't part of the company, like ebay, take part of the cut?
#14 Posted by krazyorange (2640 posts) -
also check and see if you have a store near you called half-priced-books they take all types of media including pc gmaes that have been opendslyr114
I always go here first. I actually just got Scrapland and Darwinia for $4 total last weekend. Such a great place to blow money!
#15 Posted by Zorlac (348 posts) -
Also when selling Console games you don't have to worry about CD keys. Once a key is used on the PC, that game is tied to your information, and basically voids it's usability to a second hand buyer. WHich is another main reason that reselling PC games is Illegal. I worked in public sales for over 5 years, so I'm not just randomly spouting crap just to be typing something. WHy do you think walmart won't take back opened software, and they only exchange it for the same thing? Because they can't resale it, they have to send it back to the company for a replacement copy.
#16 Posted by Captain__Tripps (4521 posts) -
Also when selling Console games you don't have to worry about CD keys. Once a key is used on the PC, that game is tied to your information, and basically voids it's usability to a second hand buyer. WHich is another main reason that reselling PC games is Illegal. I worked in public sales for over 5 years, so I'm not just randomly spouting crap just to be typing something. WHy do you think walmart won't take back opened software, and they only exchange it for the same thing? Because they can't resale it, they have to send it back to the company for a replacement copy.Zorlac0666
Reselling PC software is not illegal, have you looked at used pc software on ebay or any other similar site? Ubisoft even addresses the reselling of FC2 in their faq. The reason stores presumably don't take used pc games, is problems can come up from used titles, which is not the case with console titles.
#17 Posted by Ekoh13 (156 posts) -
ebay or ppl you know, eg friends
#18 Posted by Cyborgteq (2 posts) -
Hi. I have used netzner to sell my used games on, its really good you get your own online netzner storefront to put your games up for sale , and you can sell them on to other gamers directly. Netzner.co.uk
#19 Posted by Cyborgteq (2 posts) -
sorry meant to tell you it is www.netzner.co.uk
#20 Posted by James00715 (2484 posts) -

I sold some old games on craigslist. Most newer PC games you can't resell, because the game gets locked to your Steam/Origin/etc account. Old games are fine though. Yes, you only own a license to install and play the game on your computer, but the physical product (box + DVDs/CDs) is always legal to sell. It's just that these days most games are online-only and can only be activated on one account. It was only a matter of time before this happened, and consoles are next. Whenever the next consoles come out, I bet the games will be locked to your Xbox/Playstation account.

#21 Posted by K4ss3r (8697 posts) -
Guys; Stop trying, it's a post from 2008.
#22 Posted by tjricardo089 (7429 posts) -

Craigslist.

#23 Posted by Silicel1 (2342 posts) -

dammit spammers.