Far Cry 3 benchmarks coming in

• 196 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

They were also only running a Phenom II x6 processor. Coula been a bottleneck, maybe?

hedgy1
Bottleneck or Far Cry 3 pushing boundaries! we'll see. :)
#52 Posted by RyviusARC (4501 posts) -

The game is fairly demanding with MSAA on.

With a GTX 680 I was fine at 1080P with max settings and 4xMSAA.

But with my GTX 570 even at 1680x1050 I was only getting around 34fps at max settings with 4xMSAA.

far31.jpg

far32.jpg

far33.jpg

far34.jpg

far35.jpg

#53 Posted by darksusperia (6911 posts) -
Ryvius, seening as it looks as though you have it I have a question. Is there anything in any of the ini files that could be used to disable some of the HUD?
#54 Posted by RyviusARC (4501 posts) -

Ryvius, seening as it looks as though you have it I have a question. Is there anything in any of the ini files that could be used to disable some of the HUD?darksusperia

Nope didn't see an ini/config file.

#55 Posted by darksusperia (6911 posts) -
I can understand how some of the indicators being removed would make the game far harder as they are also used as awareness meters but would have been nice.
#56 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

But with my GTX 570 even at 1680x1050 I was only getting around 34fps at max settings with 4xMSAA.

RyviusARC

MSAA sucks though, it's far too demanding for what it's worth. Something like SweetFX can do a better or equally pleasing job most times. But MSAA does make screenshots really nice.

#57 Posted by RyviusARC (4501 posts) -

MSAA sucks though, it's far too demanding for what it's worth. Something like SweetFX can do a better or equally pleasing job most times. But MSAA does make screenshots really nice.

seanmcloughlin

MSAA does a good job on most jagged edges.

With just SMAA or FXAA the aliasing is much more present.

#58 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

RyviusARC

MSAA does a good job on most jagged edges.

With just SMAA or FXAA the aliasing is much more present.

That's why I said it makes nice screenshots, because it does get rid of a lot of edges and crawling. But I don't think the performance hit is worth it

#59 Posted by ShimmerMan (4441 posts) -

The performance hit is definitely worth it with MSAA. It's the one setting which adds the most realism to a image, motion or still it doesn't matter.

#60 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

RyviusARC

IS the 680 Overclocked? I have a GTX670 and it is OC'd to about a 680 equivelant.

#61 Posted by RyviusARC (4501 posts) -

IS the 680 Overclocked? I have a GTX670 and it is OC'd to about a 680 equivelant.

NaveedLife

Yah the GTX 680 is OCed to around 1320mhz for the core clock and a memory overlock of 7000mhz.

#62 Posted by PetJel (3722 posts) -

It's so strange because PC gamer said this in their review

"and it runs decently on Ultra-everything on a modest 3GHz dual core machine with a Radeon HD 5800"

#63 Posted by lockjaw333 (1741 posts) -
[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

Gonna agree with you on this one. MSAA is becoming more and more irrelevant IMO as post process AA techniques become more advanced. Its excellent for static images, but for demanding games its just not worth the performance hit. The only time its worthwhile is if you are mixing a small amount of MSAA with a form of post process AA (like Ultra on BF3 or TXAA). Otherwise IMO post process AA techniques are becoming mature enough that they are the better option with their minimal performance hit and fairly high quality visuals. I realize most people will scoff at post process AA saying "OMG its teh blurry, fake AA!". I think most people mistake the lack of AA on alpha textures and texture maps with MSAA as being more sharp, but in reality post process AA like FXAA is aliasing everything on the screen, giving the impression that its more blurry. Calling it "fake AA" makes no sense either....its a method of combating aliasing, hence it is an "anti-aliasing" technique. This is clearly evident in a game like Skyrim, where people routinely say the in-game FXAA is too blurry, when in reality MSAA in that game does nothing on foliage and all of the alpha textures, whereas FXAA smooths aliasing on all of them, which gives the impression that the overall scene is more blurry. I would have liked to see TXAA in Far Cry 3, but from those who have the game it seems like its not there. I really like the implementation of TXAA in AC III. I think overall that post process AA will only continue to get better, and will effectively make MSAA obsolete (except for those who refuse to abandon it).
#64 Posted by Zensword (3885 posts) -
#65 Posted by Ben-Buja (2913 posts) -

Been playing this game a lot today, my rig is really struggling to hold constant 60 fps at 1080P and 0 MSAA. Had to drop some settings down.

680 GTX, 16 GB Ram, i7 3930K @ 4 GHz

Luckily there are new Nvidia beta drivers out:

Downloading them right now.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/beta-legacy

GeForce GTX 680:

• bis zu 38% bei Far Cry 3
    • bis zu 26% bei Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
    • bis zu 16% bei Battlefield 3
    • bis zu 18% bei Assassins Creed III
    • bis zu 9% bei The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    • bis zu 6% bei Medal of Honor: Warfighter
    • bis zu 6% bei StarCraft II
    • bis zu 6% bei Dragon Age II
    • bis zu 6% bei Batman: Arkham City
    • bis zu 5% bei S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

GeForce GTX 660:

• bis zu 40% bei Far Cry 3
    • bis zu 24% bei Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
    • bis zu 10% bei Battlefield 3
    • bis zu 7% bei The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    • bis zu 5% bei Dragon Age II
    • bis zu 5% bei Assassins Creed III
    • bis zu 4% bei Batman: Arkham City
    • bis zu 4% bei Medal of Honor: Warfighter
#66 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

Been playing this game a lot today, my rig is really struggling to hold constant 60 fps at 1080P and 0 MSAA. Had to drop some settings down.

680 GTX, 16 GB Ram, i7 3930K @ 4 GHz

Luckily there are new Nvidia beta drivers out:

Downloading them right now.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/beta-legacy

GeForce GTX 680:

• bis zu 38% bei Far Cry 3
    • bis zu 26% bei Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
    • bis zu 16% bei Battlefield 3
    • bis zu 18% bei Assassins Creed III
    • bis zu 9% bei The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    • bis zu 6% bei Medal of Honor: Warfighter
    • bis zu 6% bei StarCraft II
    • bis zu 6% bei Dragon Age II
    • bis zu 6% bei Batman: Arkham City
    • bis zu 5% bei S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

GeForce GTX 660:

• bis zu 40% bei Far Cry 3
    • bis zu 24% bei Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
    • bis zu 10% bei Battlefield 3
    • bis zu 7% bei The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    • bis zu 5% bei Dragon Age II
    • bis zu 5% bei Assassins Creed III
    • bis zu 4% bei Batman: Arkham City
    • bis zu 4% bei Medal of Honor: Warfighter

Ben-Buja

Was just gonna update this with those :P

Let me know how it runs after

#67 Posted by darksusperia (6911 posts) -
off to pick up my copy now.
#68 Posted by Ben-Buja (2913 posts) -

Was just gonna update this with those :P

Let me know how it runs after

seanmcloughlin

Yeah, runs better now, was able to increase most settings to max except shadows. Still not using MSAA but I enabled transparency AA again.

#69 Posted by biggest_loser (24043 posts) -
What settings can I run it on with a Quad Core 3.4ghz, 8GB RAM, Geforce 570 and a mouse?!
#70 Posted by darksusperia (6911 posts) -
What settings can I run it on with a Quad Core 3.4ghz, 8GB RAM, Geforce 570 and a mouse?! biggest_loser
20fps. -10fps for lack of keyboard :P
#71 Posted by RyviusARC (4501 posts) -

The newest drivers increased my framerate by a little.

Also does anyone know how to get the smaa injector to work?

When I add the files to the Far Cry 3 directory it gives off a black screen even when the game is running fine.

It also did this for Hitman Absolution.

#72 Posted by biggest_loser (24043 posts) -
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]What settings can I run it on with a Quad Core 3.4ghz, 8GB RAM, Geforce 570 and a mouse?! darksusperia

What settings?
#73 Posted by Born_Lucky (1620 posts) -

Considering the fact that I have games that look better than Far Cry 3, and run great with my GTX 560, this must be one badly optimized piece of crap.

#74 Posted by darksusperia (6911 posts) -
[QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"]What settings can I run it on with a Quad Core 3.4ghz, 8GB RAM, Geforce 570 and a mouse?! biggest_loser

What settings?

Honestly I dont know yet mate. Ive installed it but havent ran it. Havent even put in the licence key yet. Gotta get all this work out of the way first. I was just having fun with your request. I'll let you know what I get later.
#75 Posted by biggest_loser (24043 posts) -
[QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="darksusperia"] 20fps. -10fps for lack of keyboard :P

What settings?

Honestly I dont know yet mate. Ive installed it but havent ran it. Havent even put in the licence key yet. Gotta get all this work out of the way first. I was just having fun with your request. I'll let you know what I get later.

You do that and I'll work on getting that keyboard! Raise those frame rates!
#76 Posted by RyviusARC (4501 posts) -

With a GTX 570 with maxed out settings at 1680x1050 and 4xMSAA I average around 33-42 fps depending on the area.

It runs smoothly for me without any stuttering or slow downs.

I can't get SMAA or SweetFX to work so I will have to make do with 4xMSAA even though it tanks performance.

With a GTX 680 I am fine with 1080P maxed out with 4xMSAA.

#77 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

With a GTX 570 with maxed out settings at 1680x1050 and 4xMSAA I average around 33-42 fps depending on the area.

I can't get SMAA or SweetFX to work so I will have to make do with 4xMSAA even though it tanks performance.

RyviusARC

My OC'd GTX670 should be pretty good then I imagine :). Any big difference from high to ultra? I wonder if you could just cut it in areas and get a massive increase in performance. I want to max it, but sometimes ultra is not even noticeable.

#78 Posted by -CheeseEater- (5257 posts) -
Bloody heck. What on earth kind of trash porting business is this Ubisoft. These benchmarks are off the rails stupid. :(
#79 Posted by RyviusARC (4501 posts) -

Bloody heck. What on earth kind of trash porting business is this Ubisoft. These benchmarks are off the rails stupid. :(-CheeseEater-

Atleast the game looks great.

far38.jpg

far39.jpg

far310.jpg

#80 Posted by killeer2007 (793 posts) -

Some Most Wanted, the pre-race cinematics are amusing to say the least

NFS132012-11-2802-56-10-753_zpsb66f0dfe.NFS132012-11-2817-05-03-775_zps940750f9.NFS132012-11-2817-05-31-847_zps7915f3f6.

#81 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

The newest drivers increased my framerate by a little.

Also does anyone know how to get the smaa injector to work?

When I add the files to the Far Cry 3 directory it gives off a black screen even when the game is running fine.

It also did this for Hitman Absolution.

RyviusARC

got that on absolution too. ctrl alt del'ing worked for me. Kinda have to exit and enter the game a lot and it shows up. It used to be black with audio and that was all.

#82 Posted by darksusperia (6911 posts) -
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"] What settings?

You do that and I'll work on getting that keyboard! Raise those frame rates!

A single 570 @ 1080p, max everything no AA your going to get ~34fps. With SLI i get 70fps+ most of the time. When driving fast across the island it dropped to 45. So most likely less then 30 in that situation with a single. You need to add the dx11 exe to the farcry profile with nvinspector otherwise sli doesnt work in dx11. Once you do you get 99.9% scaling on both gpus. Far better then most new release games. Latest beta drivers.
#83 Posted by darksusperia (6911 posts) -
Game is gorgeous btw. Very nice attention to detail.
#84 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -
Game is gorgeous btw. Very nice attention to detail.darksusperia
Agreed. I'll wait to see if one of these digital services will cut down the price lower than GetGamesGo's price of $38.49. But then again, that enemy awareness hud.... Sorry, I can't do it.
#85 Posted by darksusperia (6911 posts) -

[QUOTE="darksusperia"]Game is gorgeous btw. Very nice attention to detail.Elann2008
Agreed. I'll wait to see if one of these digital services will cut down the price lower than GetGamesGo's price of $38.49. But then again, that enemy awareness hud.... Sorry, I can't do it.

the whole hud is intrusive no doubt about it. But that said, catch 22. If you turn off the enemy awareness then when your stealthing you'll have no idea if your slightly spotted or not.

#86 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="darksusperia"]Game is gorgeous btw. Very nice attention to detail.darksusperia

the whole hud is intrusive no doubt about it. But that said, catch 22. If you turn off the enemy awareness then when your stealthing you'll have no idea if your slightly spotted or not.

I wouldn't mind if I turned it off completely. They should have made the "slightly spotted" for stealth hud in a different way. Not the enemy awareness we see now that is very intrusive.
#87 Posted by darksusperia (6911 posts) -
[QUOTE="darksusperia"]

[QUOTE="Elann2008"] Agreed. I'll wait to see if one of these digital services will cut down the price lower than GetGamesGo's price of $38.49. But then again, that enemy awareness hud.... Sorry, I can't do it.Elann2008

I wouldn't mind if I turned it off completely. They should have made the "slightly spotted" for stealth hud in a different way. Not the enemy awareness we see now that is very intrusive.

Theres a post on the ubi forums saying hes playing on hard and that most hud items are gone but he would like the mini map gone too. I havent tried this to see yet. I will tomorrow unless someone else does first.
#88 Posted by lockjaw333 (1741 posts) -
[QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

Are there no in-game post process AA options? Have you tried running with FXAA forced at the driver level?
#89 Posted by psn8214 (14925 posts) -

I wonder how my GTX 480 will handle this @ 1080p.

#90 Posted by attirex (785 posts) -
OK, all this geeky hardware talk is peachy, but.........IS THE GAME GOOD? (for those of you lucky enough to have it already) :-)
#91 Posted by sew333 (41 posts) -

Hey. To enable Dx11 i must install the newest BETA drivers, or only patch?

And last question. Can somebody play that game on Gtx 680 with 3770k? How details can i use? Ultra with or without MSAA?

#92 Posted by with_teeth26 (6122 posts) -

Now I know how Europeans feel when a game releases early in NA. The stupid thing is that I live in Canada, the same country the game is made in, but people overseas get the game first.

There is some significant retardation at work in Ubisoft

#93 Posted by kraken2109 (13030 posts) -

Anyone else think it looks a bit cartoony?

(Looking at the screenshots posted above)

#94 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

kraken2109

It is highly saturated, yes, and I think it looks great! :)

Also, PC performace patch day one

#95 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -

[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

NaveedLife

It is highly saturated, yes, and I think it looks great! :)

Also, PC performace patch day one

Everyone should download that patch!

#96 Posted by SPBoss (3630 posts) -
That must be wrong, i've maxed everything out including 4aa @1080p and it doesnt dip below 50fps on my overlcocked gtx 580
#97 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -
That must be wrong, i've maxed everything out including 4aa @1080p and it doesnt dip below 50fps on my overlcocked gtx 580SPBoss
Is your copy patched?
#98 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

That must be wrong, i've maxed everything out including 4aa @1080p and it doesnt dip below 50fps on my overlcocked gtx 580SPBoss

The game isn't actually all that taxing now that I've played it. Everything maxed except MSAA (cos it's not needed IMO and runs like ass) but everything else at absolute max at 1080p I stay in the 50s most times on my 670. Only times I dip to 30 are in that main hub village you start in, but there's a tonne of detail in that place. In the wilderness it's butter smooth almost constant.

#99 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

OK, all this geeky hardware talk is peachy, but.........IS THE GAME GOOD? (for those of you lucky enough to have it already) :-)attirex

Yes, the game is excellent. Great gunplay and really good stealth. responsive controls. Story isn't all that bad either and some characters are great. Main character is kinda lame but I get what they were going for and the game escalates a bit too fast for a proper narrative but it just means you can start killing things faster.

#100 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

Hey. To enable Dx11 i must install the newest BETA drivers, or only patch?

And last question. Can somebody play that game on Gtx 680 with 3770k? How details can i use? Ultra with or without MSAA?

sew333

To enable Dx11 you just run thefarcry3_d3d11.exe, or maybe you can just choose in the game menu anyway, but you don't need new drivers for Dx11 at all. The new drivers just help performance (which they really do) You will need to patch the game though as it further increases performance.

With a 680 and 3770k you should be able to max it at 1080p and have very high frames. My system is worse and I get high frames maxed out. Although that's without MSAA.