Fan Setup/Cooling!

#1 Posted by hoosier7 (3913 posts) -

I've had my new build for a month or two now but it's really loud even when idle. Any tips on cooling?

I've currently got the stock cooler on the CPU but will pick up a Hyper 212 Evo to remedy that and i've also got the two stock fans from my case plus two 120mm corsair AF120 LED fans in my Corsair 200R case.

Any recommendations on what 140mm fans to pick up plus any 120mm fan filters that are good?

Also i know next to nothing about fan controllers so any recommendations on that front?

#2 Posted by 04dcarraher (20103 posts) -

If you turn your case into a positive pressure case "more intake then exhaust" then dust isnt much an issue inside the case.

I would pick up a 120mm four fan pack LINK , put these on side panel and on top and use your other fans for front and rear. and grab this fan controller LINK

#3 Posted by PredatorRules (8503 posts) -

@hoosier7 said:

I've had my new build for a month or two now but it's really loud even when idle. Any tips on cooling?

I've currently got the stock cooler on the CPU but will pick up a Hyper 212 Evo to remedy that and i've also got the two stock fans from my case plus two 120mm corsair AF120 LED fans in my Corsair 200R case.

Any recommendations on what 140mm fans to pick up plus any 120mm fan filters that are good?

Also i know next to nothing about fan controllers so any recommendations on that front?

Corsair Air AF14 Quiet edition should be good, you may also concider Noctua if you don't mind the colour.

And definitely replace the stock CPU cooler

#4 Posted by hoosier7 (3913 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@hoosier7 said:

Corsair Air AF14 Quiet edition should be good, you may also concider Noctua if you don't mind the colour.

Thanks i'll probably go with them and pass on the Noctua ones because of the price.

I do still need tips on fan controllers though? Are there any that can be setup to work automatically that won't break the bank?

#5 Posted by 04dcarraher (20103 posts) -

@hoosier7 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@hoosier7 said:

Thanks i'll probably go with them and pass on the Noctua ones because of the price.

I do still need tips on fan controllers though? Are there any that can be setup to work automatically that won't break the bank?

Those Corsair Air AF14 Quiet editions aren't that quiet their rated at 25.5 db at max rpm and the 120 series are rated at 25.2..... the fans I posted from the pack are only rated 17.7 db and move nearly as much air as that AF140. The nzxt sentry 2 has automatic controls but is limited on how many fans you can put on each channel but you should be able to use two fans on each.

#6 Posted by hoosier7 (3913 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:

@hoosier7 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@hoosier7 said:

Those Corsair Air AF14 Quiet editions aren't that quiet their rated at 25.5 db at max rpm and the 120 series are rated at 25.2..... the fans I posted from the pack are only rated 17.7 db and move nearly as much air as that AF140. The nzxt sentry 2 has automatic controls but is limited on how many fans you can put on each channel but you should be able to use two fans on each.

They're very good for their price actually and i could get things set up for negative air pressure with that many fans too. I'm weighing up those or these that seem good on paper as they edge out even the noctua's according to here: http://www.quietpc.com/140mmfans

The NZXT Grid+ looks good at £20 but it's out of stock and i can't find it anywhere other than new egg.

#7 Edited by PredatorRules (8503 posts) -

@hoosier7 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@hoosier7 said:

I'd go with NZXT Sentry 2 as @04dcarraher already mentioned for 23$

#8 Edited by kitty (114913 posts) -
@04dcarraher said:

If you turn your case into a positive pressure case "more intake then exhaust" then dust isnt much an issue inside the case.

I would pick up a 120mm four fan pack LINK , put these on side panel and on top and use your other fans for front and rear. and grab this fan controller LINK

Good to know.
I just put 4 AF 120's in my case http://i.imgur.com/ikcR3WA.jpg?1
I was also wondering about a fan controller. The are rated for 1500rpm, but mine only spin around 1100 - 1200 ish.
Atm I've got 2 intake, 3 exhaust. I've got room for another fan on my side panel. I was thinking about replacing the back 140mm exhaust fan with a Noctua and putting 2 Noctua's on my Evo.

#9 Posted by 04dcarraher (20103 posts) -

@kitty said:

@04dcarraher said:

Good to know.

I was also wondering about a fan controller. The are rated for 1500rpm, but mine only spin around 1100 - 1200 ish.

Atm I've got 2 intake, 3 exhaust. I've got room for another fan on my side panel. I was thinking about replacing the back 140mm exhaust fan with a Noctuaand putting 2 Noctua's on my Evo.

Ive found a good new 120mm fan for heatsinks/radiators The Xigmatek AOS series these things are insane.... they actually performed better Noctua_NF-P series , they are rated for 150k hour life, 90CFM , 2.3 mmH2O pressure at 26db. They have 140mm versions as well ,same specs as 120 besides the pressure of 1.08mm and 18 db.

#10 Posted by kitty (114913 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:

@kitty said:

@04dcarraher said:

Good to know.

Atm I've got 2 intake, 3 exhaust. I've got room for another fan on my side panel. I was thinking about replacing the back 140mm exhaust fan with a Noctuaand putting 2 Noctua's on my Evo.

Ive found a good new 120mm fan for heatsinks/radiators The Xigmatek AOS series these things are insane.... they actually performed better Noctua_NF-P series , they are rated for 150k hour life, 90CFM , 2.3 mmH2O pressure at 26db. They have 140mm versions as well ,same specs as 120 besides the pressure of 1.08mm and 18 db.

hmm.. thanks. I'll check into getting some. I was pretty set on Noctua since I heard so many good things about them, but I'll look into these. Hopefully the price is good.