Fallout 3 "Display driver has stopped working and recovered"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nandito3555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 nandito3555
Member since 2005 • 139 Posts

I recently posted in the forums that I had problems with games locking up, freezing and havieng weird glitches. When I installed Fallout 3 It was no exception. It freezes randomly every 1-2 minutes.

What I noticed is that, when I was trying to fix this thing one possible solution involved running the game in widowed mode. That didn{t work, but I noticed that just before the game crashed the message "Display driver has stopped working and recovered" appeared in the right down corner of the screen...

Does anyone know a possible solution to this?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Get the newest drivers from your laptop manufacturer, don't get it from Nvidia, Nvidia ones are generic and they don't always work.

Waryur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Waryur
Member since 2004 • 38 Posts

Get the newest drivers from your laptop manufacturer, don't get it from Nvidia, Nvidia ones are generic and they don't always work.

GTR12

WHAT? How did you figure that out? You are very much wrong anyway. I have been using nvidia's drivers just about as long as they have been in businees and even now with two EVGA GTX 480's (SC) in my rig in SLI I use them and they ARE the ones to get. Do not use Windows update even if you are running Windows 7, and definitly do not use the laptop manufacturer's site to get your drivers from becasue they are probably outdated. Now one case in point would be the very latest beta driver from nvidia that most of the people over on the EVGA forums in the GTX 480 thread are going to use as am I especially those people who want to game in 3D and have more than one and up to three 120Hz monitors. I see that you have a GTX 470. Where do you go to get your drivers and how do you think that they aren't the exact ones that come from nvidia for THEIR own technology? Sorry but I just had to say something here.

@ nandito3555 Back when FO3 first came out I was playing that and had a newer motherboard then too (Asus Striker II Extreme) and two 9800GTX+'s in my rig and I used to get that issue all the time and it did turn out to be the drivers so if you haven't gotten the latest nvidia driver I would check that out first. Then if you know the manufacturer of your video card go to that forum and ask around for help there if new drivers don't work. My issue in particualr when I had that error msg was that my mobo had nvidia SATARAID and that and the drivers at the time were clashing and it took nvidia getting up to speed with drivers for it not to have that error message. I have never ever had any issues whatsoever with current WHQL drivers from nvidia...

BDK-Soft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BDK-Soft
Member since 2009 • 795 Posts
Fallout # has never run stable for me anyway. I've tried a load of different hardware to no avail. FO3 isn't exactly the most stable game out there.
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GTR12

WHAT? How did you figure that out? You are very much wrong anyway. I have been using nvidia's drivers just about as long as they have been in businees and even now with two EVGA GTX 480's (SC) in my rig in SLI I use them and they ARE the ones to get. Do not use Windows update even if you are running Windows 7, and definitly do not use the laptop manufacturer's site to get your drivers from becasue they are probably outdated. Now one case in point would be the very latest beta driver from nvidia that most of the people over on the EVGA forums in the GTX 480 thread are going to use as am I especially those people who want to game in 3D and have more than one and up to three 120Hz monitors. I see that you have a GTX 470. Where do you go to get your drivers and how do you think that they aren't the exact ones that come from nvidia for THEIR own technology? Sorry but I just had to say something here.

@ nandito3555 Back when FO3 first came out I was playing that and had a newer motherboard then too (Asus Striker II Extreme) and two 9800GTX+'s in my rig and I used to get that issue all the time and it did turn out to be the drivers so if you haven't gotten the latest nvidia driver I would check that out first. Then if you know the manufacturer of your video card go to that forum and ask around for help there if new drivers don't work. My issue in particualr when I had that error msg was that my mobo had nvidia SATARAID and that and the drivers at the time were clashing and it took nvidia getting up to speed with drivers for it not to have that error message. I have never ever had any issues whatsoever with current WHQL drivers from nvidia...

Waryur

Obviously you didn't even read TC's posts. He has a 360M, which is a mobility chipset, most likely from a known manufacturer. I have a desktop with a GTX470, which I get directly from Nvidia. Laptop GPU's tend not to work well with generic drivers, they aren't optimized for that laptop. I also have a ASUS M50VN, which comes with a 9650M GT. No matter what drivers I get from Nvidia will not work, or they work poorly. If I get them directly from ASUS, they work fine, and 1 generation behind in drivers, I dont mind, they currently have the 197.xx ones, most likely move to 257.xx when Nvidia goes to 258.xx

nandito3555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nandito3555

Yeah thanks for the comments. The first thing I did when I got this laptop was download the latest drivers from nvidia for the 300 mobile series. I had read somewhere that you needed to update the drivers so that's the first thing I did and, yeah, I have a GTS 360M.

nandito3555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nandito3555

Already did that... and It didnt work. When you install a new driver the old one gets deleted or do you have to manually uninstall it?

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

My first thought would be out of date drivers... but if it's not your drivers, my second thought would be overheating.

nandito3555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nandito3555

My temps never get past 85 C (monitoring with GPU-Z, EVGA presition) and I downloaded the latest drivers from nvidia and then the latest drivers from ASUS

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GTR12

My temps never get past 85 C (monitoring with GPU-Z, EVGA presition) and I downloaded the latest drivers from nvidia and then the latest drivers from ASUS

nandito3555

Thats not a problem for desktop cards, but thats definetly overheating for a laptop. You gotta find a way to cool it.

nandito3555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nandito3555

Finally made it work

http://www.pdsys.org/blog/post/2009/02/07/Fallout-3-VideoDisplay-Freezes-sound-keeps-going.aspx

But my problems continue with what appears to be artifacts :\

Meh... welll... I can play stable for an hour so that should be fine for now (It's mid summer you know)