Fallout 3 crash at start of new game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MetaRoland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MetaRoland
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Okay, so everything runs fine, click start new game, and the first slide comes up and the game crashes. "Fallout 3 has stopped working" searches for fix, offers none and then I have to exit to task manager and click the close window that was once the fix search window. I've tried downloading the patch, nothing. Tried every display setting combination possible, including window mode, nothing. Tried uninstall and reinstall 4 times, nothing. Tried running with just about everything else shut down, even went into task manager and culled processes and then turned off my internet and anti-virus too, nothing. I tried looking for an ffdshow to delete but that's not an option, as well as an option I saw posted where you could access an .ini file and delete everything after the = sign in the file names thereby disabling all the cut scenes. I have gone into control panel and told it to update drivers and it says they're all up to date. Everything I've tried has done absolutely nothing. I don't know much about computers but my computer is as follows: a stock Toshiba Satellite A305-S6872 Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5800 3 GB 800MHz SDRAM 250GB HDD DVD SuperMulti Drive with Labelflash Windows vista 32 **I know your guys' biggest question will probably be about my video card, I've looked over everything and can't find anything about my video card on this computer, all I know is that under the performance information and tools section of my control panel my computer was rated a 3.8 for gaming graphics. Fallout 3 has told me that it should be able to run on low settings.** All help is appreciated and I apologize if you feel I'm wasting your time because it was foolish of me to even fathom running this game on this laptop. I saw the game, my computer is relatively new, and I didn't think much of it. But as you can see I have tried my damndest with what I've been able to figure out and this is my last ditch before I start looking for potential buyers for this brand spankin' new copy of fallout 3.
Volatility

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#2 Volatility
Member since 2009 • 239 Posts

this may sound funny but i had the same problem. i tried everything reinstalling, updating my drivers,direct x etc. but the whole problem was only a single video codec which i downloaded to watch some different types of video files. that codec even messed up my 3d programs like maya and stuff. if you installed a video codec or something like that try to unninstall it

CrazyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CrazyWii
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
The same thing keeps happening to me too. I even tried to use it on a whole different computer and it resulted in the same way. Crashing on the first slide. I even went through the work to download patch, uninstall, reinstall, again and again but nothing seems to fix the error. If there is any possible solution to this problem please post it.
chazzee23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 chazzee23
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
so it seems no one can come up with a proper solution to this then
apm54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 apm54
I have the same problem, hoping someone will find a way to fix it.
chapman86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 chapman86
Member since 2004 • 583 Posts

1) What is your graphic card?

2) did you download any community mods? if so, listed them and list the order of the mod index.

3) did you patch from ver.1.0 to 1.1 or 1.4 or 1.5?

dayco77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dayco77
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
what codec??? it would help us to know wich one to deleat
belboz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 belboz
Member since 2003 • 1548 Posts

Updating your drivers from the control panel or device manager often yields no results. Go to the manufacturer support page or better yet, find out what graphics and audio chipsets you have, and go to the support pages of those companies and download the latest drivers.

unsc_malice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 unsc_malice

wow i thought i was the only one! same exact problem as MetaRoland and his computer specs match about the same as mine!

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

very little information here.set everything to low in the graphics.also close any open applications.

belboz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 belboz
Member since 2003 • 1548 Posts

I had the same problem with a desktop. Turned out the problem was my Xonar DX card, were one of the audio options in the driver caused this. Disabling the option fixed the problem. (and no, I am not near my desktop, so I don't recall the option name)

iWhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 iWhat
Member since 2009 • 36 Posts
I had the same exact problem, people always tend to think that it HAS to be the Graphics card but it's not. This is how I fixed my problem, I went to the main directory of the game and to that just follow these steps: 1) My computer 2)Local disk 3)Program files 4)Fallout 3 or Bethesda Softworks 5)Now find the Fallout3.exe and right click and click properties. 6)Go to the Compatibility tab and do the following: Check 'Run this program in compatibility for: and select Windows XP service pack2. 7) Check disable Visual themes. If that doesn't solve your problem then, go back through those same steps and this time also check "Run in 640x480 screen resolution". This solved it for me and if your problem still consist don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

**I know your guys' biggest question will probably be about my video card, I've looked over everything and can't find anything about my video card on this computer, all I know is that under the performance information and tools section of my control panel my computer was rated a 3.8 for gaming graphics. Fallout 3 has told me that it should be able to run on low settings.** MetaRoland

From looking at Amazon, the specs say "Intel GM45 Express Chipset". This leads me to believe you have a low grade integrated graphics chip. In any case, if it had a proper GPU suitable for gaming, it would be mentioned everywhere and not left so ambiguous.

Regardless of what the performance control panel tells you, I would never expect to be able to run Fallout 3 on a graphics chip like that. The official minimum spec is a GeForce 6800, which even though by today's standard's is not a very good card, is still much better than an integrated Intel graphics chip.

Hey, I could be wrong, but I strongly suspect that is your problem.

Erik729

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Erik729
Member since 2006 • 1474 Posts

If you have an ASUS video card, uninstall PCDoctor and Gamer OSD, this allowed me to get past the load screens and play the game.

desyor67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 desyor67
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
ok iWhat i followed ur instructions and it didnt work even in 640x840 and i want to play fallout so so so bad i have a hp g60 230us and not sure what its like stuff is im not a computer kinda guy and u seam like u are so if u could please help me that would be very helpful ty bye
Avatar image for deactivated-597bb01c846a2
deactivated-597bb01c846a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#16 deactivated-597bb01c846a2
Member since 2011 • 1495 Posts
[QUOTE="desyor67"]ok iWhat i followed ur instructions and it didnt work even in 640x840 and i want to play fallout so so so bad i have a hp g60 230us and not sure what its like stuff is im not a computer kinda guy and u seam like u are so if u could please help me that would be very helpful ty bye

Get a better computer.
hmadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hmadness
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="MetaRoland"]Okay, so everything runs fine, click start new game, and the first slide comes up and the game crashes. "Fallout 3 has stopped working" searches for fix, offers none and then I have to exit to task manager and click the close window that was once the fix search window. I've tried downloading the patch, nothing. Tried every display setting combination possible, including window mode, nothing. Tried uninstall and reinstall 4 times, nothing. Tried running with just about everything else shut down, even went into task manager and culled processes and then turned off my internet and anti-virus too, nothing. I tried looking for an ffdshow to delete but that's not an option, as well as an option I saw posted where you could access an .ini file and delete everything after the = sign in the file names thereby disabling all the cut scenes. I have gone into control panel and told it to update drivers and it says they're all up to date. Everything I've tried has done absolutely nothing. I don't know much about computers but my computer is as follows: a stock Toshiba Satellite A305-S6872 Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5800 3 GB 800MHz SDRAM 250GB HDD DVD SuperMulti Drive with Labelflash Windows vista 32 **I know your guys' biggest question will probably be about my video card, I've looked over everything and can't find anything about my video card on this computer, all I know is that under the performance information and tools section of my control panel my computer was rated a 3.8 for gaming graphics. Fallout 3 has told me that it should be able to run on low settings.** All help is appreciated and I apologize if you feel I'm wasting your time because it was foolish of me to even fathom running this game on this laptop. I saw the game, my computer is relatively new, and I didn't think much of it. But as you can see I have tried my damndest with what I've been able to figure out and this is my last ditch before I start looking for potential buyers for this brand spankin' new copy of fallout 3.

i have the same laptop have you found a soloution???
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

[QUOTE="MetaRoland"]Okay, so everything runs fine, click start new game, and the first slide comes up and the game crashes. "Fallout 3 has stopped working" searches for fix, offers none and then I have to exit to task manager and click the close window that was once the fix search window. I've tried downloading the patch, nothing. Tried every display setting combination possible, including window mode, nothing. Tried uninstall and reinstall 4 times, nothing. Tried running with just about everything else shut down, even went into task manager and culled processes and then turned off my internet and anti-virus too, nothing. I tried looking for an ffdshow to delete but that's not an option, as well as an option I saw posted where you could access an .ini file and delete everything after the = sign in the file names thereby disabling all the cut scenes. I have gone into control panel and told it to update drivers and it says they're all up to date. Everything I've tried has done absolutely nothing. I don't know much about computers but my computer is as follows: a stock Toshiba Satellite A305-S6872 Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5800 3 GB 800MHz SDRAM 250GB HDD DVD SuperMulti Drive with Labelflash Windows vista 32 **I know your guys' biggest question will probably be about my video card, I've looked over everything and can't find anything about my video card on this computer, all I know is that under the performance information and tools section of my control panel my computer was rated a 3.8 for gaming graphics. Fallout 3 has told me that it should be able to run on low settings.** All help is appreciated and I apologize if you feel I'm wasting your time because it was foolish of me to even fathom running this game on this laptop. I saw the game, my computer is relatively new, and I didn't think much of it. But as you can see I have tried my damndest with what I've been able to figure out and this is my last ditch before I start looking for potential buyers for this brand spankin' new copy of fallout 3.hmadness
i have the same laptop have you found a soloution???

Graphics card in that laptop, Intel GMA 4500MHD, is not good enough to play Fallout 3