facebook just bought oculus

#1 Edited by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

I felt this thread should be made,

let us look back on what have could've been exciting technology,

and now it is squandered on the likes of face book.

no friends this is not like heath ledger announced as the joker,

it is like jesse eisenberg as lex luthor.

no good can come of this and we all just got shit on

R.I.P Oculus,

we barely knew yee

#2 Posted by Gladestone1 (5514 posts) -

Give it time..Its still being developed for games..Man you people are so negative at times..

#3 Posted by evildead6789 (7513 posts) -

Give it time..Its still being developed for games..Man you people are so negative at times..

he's not negative, i think privacy is very important when it comes to vr, and facebook has no respect for it.

Try closing your account, it takes two weeks

#4 Posted by Jimmy_Russell (557 posts) -

I thought this was a troll thread, but I realize it's actually very serious. I'm sad now.

#5 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5887 posts) -

I wonder how this will impact Kickstarter. I'm sure many people who backed Oculus didn't expect them to be bought out. I guess that's the risk you take.

#7 Edited by DJ_Headshot (6178 posts) -

Came in hoping this was a joke thread but doesn't seem like it 2 billion dollars is alot of money so I can see why they sold the creators can retire extremely wealthy men. Hopefully this doesn't effect the occulus rift gaming potential at first it won't as long as a consumer version gets released seeing as there are many games with support already or planning to add support but its long term gaming potential is yet to be seen.

There is always Valves VR Headset though and it sounds like there VR tech is even better then occulus rift so I'm not really worried VR is coming and here to stay even Sony is investing in it for the PS4. The tech is finally at a level to offer a high quality VR experience at a reasonable price and it will only get better with each new revision and update in tech exciting times.

#8 Edited by Ribstaylor1 (436 posts) -

Ya I've now kind of lost interest. I don't like doing business with Facebook, therefor I wont be buying an OR. It's too bad, was kind of looking forward to this product. I'm sure more major players will move into the pc market and by that time, most the kinks should be worked out. I'll just have to pick one of those up when they come around.

#9 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

I wonder how this will impact Kickstarter. I'm sure many people who backed Oculus didn't expect them to be bought out. I guess that's the risk you take.

the impact will be like an asteroid hitting an orphanage, people will think twice, and may not even invest because this will happen again.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Ok sure, I may sound like a little bitch right now, but what's wrong about playing my games the way I've always, with a controller? Why fix what isn't broken. Perhaps I am not open minded like the rest of you, but this virtual reality stuff scares me, I don't want home console to change to this. I love gaming the way it is damnit! :(

vr isn't scary ight, this isn't wandering through an abandoned house in the middle of nowhere.

vr isn't going to become the standard, it is an option, and was an exciting one,

and you can still play oculus with a controller,

everything will be like it is just right in yo face

#10 Posted by The_Animator420 (227 posts) -

I was for sure going to buy an Oculus Rift, but now with this news, I am very unsure. I'll wait and see how this all plays out first, then make my decision.

#11 Posted by BattleSpectre (5966 posts) -

@killatwill15: Haha damn you and your quick ninja quoting skills. I decided to delete my post because I remembered I was on the PC forum.

#15 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (23468 posts) -

Except facebook gets to control the direction of where it progresses, hence rip oculus.

#17 Edited by SerOlmy (1656 posts) -

Eh, it was a cool concept while it lasted. Now it will just be a way for Facebook to beam ads directly into your brain and also monitor pupillary response. If you think the new kinetic is bad this will be 100x worse.

FB has already said it will be pushing the Oculus towards social crap so why any gamer thinks this won't suck is beyond me. Same thing will happen that always happens with FB takeovers they will squeeze out most of the staff and then replace them with drones, then do whatever the fuck they want. I wouldn't be surprised if you see a ton of blowback from backers and devs (with PAX just around the corner there is going to be lots of in person rage if OR has a booth). And I would be extremely pissed if I were Gabe since Valve helped them out a lot. OR even hired the people behind Valves VR program when they pulled the plug.

Personally, my interest has dropped to zero. I don't use Facebook other than having a dummy account for game promo junk and I maybe use that a couple times a year.

#18 Edited by Jimmy_Russell (557 posts) -

@SerOlmy said:

If you think the new kinetic is bad this will be 100x worse.

#19 Posted by FelipeInside (25314 posts) -

All depends on how Facebook will use it.

If they just make it available as a product with OPTIONAL Facebook social integration, while keeping all the normal gaming supported, then this topic is just an over-reaction.

Have to wait and see what they do with it first.

#20 Posted by Reaper4278 (337 posts) -

Think about this for a minute, these FB cats are pretty smart business guys, they put out 2 billion dollars for this because they saw how great it was going to be and how much money it was going to make. They sold tens of thousands of dev kits, not even a finished product. How many of these do you think will sell when the product is perfected? FB can put gazillions of dollars into making this even better.

The only downside here is the thing might cost $1000 now rather than the planned $400.

#21 Posted by evildead6789 (7513 posts) -
#22 Posted by evildead6789 (7513 posts) -

Think about this for a minute, these FB cats are pretty smart business guys, they put out 2 billion dollars for this because they saw how great it was going to be and how much money it was going to make. They sold tens of thousands of dev kits, not even a finished product. How many of these do you think will sell when the product is perfected? FB can put gazillions of dollars into making this even better.

The only downside here is the thing might cost $1000 now rather than the planned $400.

The problem is no one will buy it anymore

And one of the reasons lucky went with facebook is because he could make it cheaper

#23 Edited by FelipeInside (25314 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

@reaper4278 said:

And one of the reasons lucky went with facebook is because he could make it cheaper

Correction, "some" gamers who think FB will ruin it won't buy it, against millions of normal users and facebook users who (when they see it) will be amazed and want one.

Mark isn't stupid.

#24 Edited by evildead6789 (7513 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

@reaper4278 said:

Correction, "some" gamers who think FB will ruin it won't buy it, against millions of normal users and facebook users who (when they see it) will be amazed and want one.

Mark isn't stupid.

maybe you haven't been reading the comments

It's more like some gamers don't think fb will ruin it, or have forgotten about facebooks obscure company policy

Besides, there's competition. Like sony

#25 Posted by Reaper4278 (337 posts) -

If it is being made the same way it is now I will buy it, I really don't care who is making it.

#26 Posted by MCShowroom (6 posts) -

At first i thought this is a disappointing move, but i doubt Facebook will completely override it with their social media plugins etc. It will probably just have the added benefits of social integration etc. But it's definitely to early to judge... I really hope Facebook Lets Octulas evolve and encourages Game Developers to get onboard!

Only time will tell.

#27 Posted by MirkoS77 (7177 posts) -

I was really looking forward to this, but am now incredibly skeptical and pessimistic. Mostly I just wanted it for Star Citizen. I've been told otherwise, but I think it's going to be mandatory to have a FB account to use it, it's already been stated by Palmer (sp?) that FB is working on a social focused Steam/Origin like client for it, and I'm fairly certain that intrusive ads will become a regular occurance no matter what it's used for. Can't wait to see billboards on asteroids in SC. All hail FB!

This is very depressing. I'll wait until it's out and see how FB handles this, but I'm fearing the worst. What a real bummer, this is some of the worst gaming related news I've heard in years as I'm really looking forward to VR. At least there's still the Morpheus, and I hear Valve has a prototype in the works and gamers can always trust in Lord Gaben. That guy knows what gamers value and will never sell-out.

#28 Edited by Horgen (110060 posts) -

Does this mean I can walk around browsing facebook non-stop? Cause that would be so awesome!!!!

Joking aside, why? WHY??? Oculus wasn't made for farmville :(

#29 Posted by kraken2109 (13007 posts) -

I'm sure there will be plenty of alternative devices

#30 Posted by Arthas045 (5100 posts) -

I'm sure there will be plenty of alternative devices

Pretty much this, I am not a fan of Facebook, but there will be plenty of copycats. Looks like the latest news is the device will be stapled with Facebook branding etc.

#31 Edited by SerOlmy (1656 posts) -

I can't wait until PAX when we get to read about a bunch of pissed off gamers storming the Oculus booth. I bet if they had a booth scheduled they wont show up, they know how bad the blowback will be.

And to all you "not that bad folks", rest assured this is just a way for Facebook to beam ads directly into your brain and force you to use their network services. I cannot even fathom the subliminal crap they will be able to inject into your brain with FB at the helm. It will be like the cigarette ads back in the 50/60s that brainwashed a whole generation into smoking.

#32 Edited by PredatorRules (7447 posts) -

I had my hopes high for that, and even if it costs 200$ I'd buy it, right now I no longer feel the same interest in buying such thing since it'll most probably won't be enchanced anymore for gaming and will be more focused on social stuff.

#33 Posted by Sweetbackhair (1926 posts) -

Cool, now It'll look like I'm actually taking care of my crops in Farmville!

#34 Posted by sleepingzzz (2260 posts) -

My guess is FB sees the potential beyond just games otherwise they wouldn't have drop that much money into it. If it's only games it will never make back the money they spent to obtain it. They can go a million different ways with it from movies to education to simulations. They probably have some thing in mind to get that money back and I doubt it will be only gaming.

#35 Edited by airshocker (29044 posts) -

This is a pretty good article by Giant Bomb.

I still think 90% of you are insane for screaming this doom and gloom nonsense but I can see why you'd feel the way you do. Only you really don't have a leg to stand on at this point. Instagram is fairly unscathed after a Facebook take-over. It also doesn't make any logical sense to give a company $400 million dollars and then tell them to completely stop what they had been planning to do. If you were going to give them $400 million dollars that would suggest that you see the value in what they're doing and not want to scrap it.

I'm looking forward to VR. Facebook acquiring Oculus VR doesn't change anything for me. In fact, we'll probably have the Rift MUCH sooner thanks to them.

#36 Edited by Ribstaylor1 (436 posts) -

It looks like Razer might be making a play into the VR market. It seems the Razer's CEO's twitter account left a little message on notch's twitter announcement yesterday. link

#38 Edited by evildead6789 (7513 posts) -

@airshocker said:

I still think 90% of you are insane for screaming this doom and gloom nonsense but I can see why you'd feel the way you do. Only you really don't have a leg to stand on at this point. Instagram is fairly unscathed after a Facebook take-over. It also doesn't make any logical sense to give a company $400 million dollars and then tell them to completely stop what they had been planning to do. If you were going to give them $400 million dollars that would suggest that you see the value in what they're doing and not want to scrap it.

I'm looking forward to VR. Facebook acquiring Oculus VR doesn't change anything for me. In fact, we'll probably have the Rift MUCH sooner thanks to them.

You do realize instagram comes with a user agreement that they can use the pictures you post for anything they want, including advertising... That's even the worst thing with these companies, they use young and/or naive people.

When privacy laws had to be voted in europe (and some of them are still up for debate) facebook lobbyists applied pressure on parliaments so they wouldn't vote for certain privacy laws. They know very well privacy is a human right, still they don't care, it's their company policy and their core business.

Of all the tech giants , facebook is by far the worst.

#39 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

Instead of people interacting through a web browser, i imagine that facebook wants to create massive 3d worlds for people to mingle with each other in. I just hope that the plans for gaming, the cheap price, and developers support stay intact...

#40 Edited by airshocker (29044 posts) -

@airshocker said:

You do realize instagram comes with a user agreement that they can use the pictures you post for anything they want, including advertising... That's even the worst thing with these companies, they use young and/or naive people.

When privacy laws had to be voted in europe (and some of them are still up for debate) facebook lobbyists applied pressure on parliaments so they wouldn't vote for certain privacy laws. They know very well privacy is a human right, still they don't care, it's their company policy and their core business.

Instagram had that agreement before Facebook took them over, IIRC.

I'm not sure why privacy has to do anything with the OR. OR is hardware, not software. You'll still have the ability to not use software that doesn't respect your privacy.

#41 Edited by blaznwiipspman1 (6028 posts) -

@killatwill15:

yeah I want kickstarter and other similar sites to be shut down or changed so that you pay money in exchange for shares.

#42 Posted by groowagon (2761 posts) -

#43 Edited by evildead6789 (7513 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

I'm not sure why privacy has to do anything with the OR. OR is hardware, not software. You'll still have the ability to not use software that doesn't respect your privacy.

So the agreement was disbanded if you already used instagram? I'm not sure if that agreement is disbanded as of now too. I don't use instagram. IIRC is not really valid as an argument.

I don't think you can magically see through software. The software could already be there and not be used, that's perfectly legal or it could be adapted later once you're accustomed to the technology. Then they can invade your privacy. They'll give you 20 pages of user agreements and it will be boring to read it or you'l have options to protect yourself when it's already too late.

The company policy of facebook is shunned because of privacy violation. It's not 100 percent sure if they will do it again, but you would have to be a fool to trust em again.

Facebook could for instance use your voice chat through vr for custom ads. That's not the company you want as a leader in vr and social networking. Games are an easy way to provide social networking too.

Why do you think microsoft scores so bad now, microsoft had a lot of fans, so all of sudden all want to buy playstation. Privacy plays a key factor in this system war and the mandatory kinect nailed em. Not so because the kinect is in the package but because the system didn't even work without the kinect. When people feel cornered , they run away. Microsoft probably didn't intend this to provide custom ads or maybe they did, who knows.

The fact is people don't want it and for that kapitalism can sometimes be a great thing. If the oculus won't sell, others won't make the same mistake. More laws will be made and that's how the evolution of our society works.

#44 Posted by Jimmy_Russell (557 posts) -

So now that Facebook owns the future of PC gaming, is anyone making the jump to Sony? I know I am.

#45 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@killatwill15:

yeah I want kickstarter and other similar sites to be shut down or changed so that you pay money in exchange for shares.

awesome idea

#46 Edited by evildead6789 (7513 posts) -

So now that Facebook owns the future of PC gaming, is anyone making the jump to Sony? I know I am.

There's more than sony coming to the market, microsoft is making one, razer is making one

This isn't exactly ground breaking tech

#47 Posted by airshocker (29044 posts) -

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

So the agreement was disbanded if you already used instagram? I'm not sure if that agreement is disbanded as of now too. I don't use instagram. IIRC is not really valid as an argument.

I don't think you can magically see through software. The software could already be there and not be used, that's perfectly legal or it could be adapted later once you're accustomed to the technology. Then they can invade your privacy. They'll give you 20 pages of user agreements and it will be boring to read it or you'l have options to protect yourself when it's already too late.

The company policy of facebook is shunned because of privacy violation. It's not 100 percent sure if they will do it again, but you would have to be a fool to trust em again.

Facebook could for instance use your voice chat through vr for custom ads. That's not the company you want as a leader in vr and social networking. Games are an easy way to provide social networking too.

Why do you think microsoft scores so bad now, microsoft had a lot of fans, so all of sudden all want to buy playstation. Privacy plays a key factor in this system war and the mandatory kinect nailed em. Not so because the kinect is in the package but because the system didn't even work without the kinect. When people feel cornered , they run away. Microsoft probably didn't intend this to provide custom ads or maybe they did, who knows.

The fact is people don't want it and for that kapitalism can sometimes be a great thing. If the oculus won't sell, others won't make the same mistake. More laws will be made and that's how the evolution of our society works.

First off, I frankly don't care if you don't think it's valid as an argument. You mentioned it, I gave a rebuttal. If you don't wish me to do that, then don't make statements.

OR is hardware. It's not a laptop or a tablet that can come with specific software already installed. It's not a smart phone where you aren't even able to uninstall certain programs. It is, essentially, a computer monitor. Do computer monitors come with recording software? Probably not because the monitor wouldn't be able to handle that.

I personally like my privacy, so I'm not going to be using programs that don't respect it. The onus is on me to figure out what those programs are.

#48 Edited by evildead6789 (7513 posts) -

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

First off, I frankly don't care if you don't think it's valid as an argument. You mentioned it, I gave a rebuttal. If you don't wish me to do that, then don't make statements.

OR is hardware. It's not a laptop or a tablet that can come with specific software already installed. It's not a smart phone where you aren't even able to uninstall certain programs. It is, essentially, a computer monitor. Do computer monitors come with recording software? Probably not because the monitor wouldn't be able to handle that.

I personally like my privacy, so I'm not going to be using programs that don't respect it. The onus is on me to figure out what those programs are.

Well care or not, if you don't argue with confidence you have to back it up with evidence. IIRC doesn't work in an argument.

OR is way more than a simple output device. The headtracking will come with drivers and have input output communication, same with eyetracking if that would be implemented. They can implement in the drivers whatever they want.

Everyone like his privacy, but not everyone is wary of people wanting to invade it. Would your really like a company like facebook be the leading platform for vr? I don't.

Even if there's no sign of privacy issues in the beginning, I won't trust them.