Experiences with corsair hydro cooling!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Richard_The_Gr8
Richard_The_Gr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Richard_The_Gr8
Member since 2009 • 620 Posts

I am currently planning a build and whilst looking at the last build I did and the huge ugly air cpu cooler I have decided to go with water cooling. I am thinking of using the H80i from corsair, I know people will tell me that the price to performance ratio is not wort it, I am fully aware of that, I just want to know about peoples experiences with these and if you have any pointers or if there are any much better different choices that I could make. :)

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
They're pretty good. The first H80 I got had the pump rattle, but the replacement H80 and the H110 that I have now are fine. I believe they sorted the pump rattle issue for the new models (H80i, H100i and later models).
Avatar image for Richard_The_Gr8
Richard_The_Gr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Richard_The_Gr8
Member since 2009 • 620 Posts

thats what I heard, no problems with leaking? and what about maintenance?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
I have a Corsair H80i on my Intel i7 930. I like it a lot. :D It lets me overclock to my heart's content.
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Well, I put a H80 in for someone and the fan header died in a few months... Corsair replaced it with an H80i.

I bought an H80i and the dang pump made massive amounts of noise and wasn't cooling my CPU at all. Newegg sent me a new one and it's been working fine since.

I also used Kuhler and I like it alot better because the pump seems to be alot better and the rad is better made as well. Temps are better then Corsair's. Only con to it is the mounting system isn't as nice as the corsair.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
There are some bum units but most are OK. My H100 is fine. If you are getting an H100 or H80 get some SP series fans as the stock fans are really loud at full tilt. The H100i and H80i come with a set of SP fans as standard.
Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
Unless people are constantly staring at your PC from the side oogling over the internal build of your case (it doesn't happen 99% of your day), then the top of the line Noctua air cooler is probably the best bang for your cooling buck in terms of overall top end overclocking. After that you may as well move to a self made cooling loop, they are quite easy to do despite what people say. Especially these days. If you are looking for a good cooler that will get your i5 2500k or i5/i7 ivybridge to 4.0-4.5 ghz and keep very low temps then take a good look at the Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo. ~$25-30 and mine has had my i5 2500k running extremely cool in all tests. We all know as gamers you wont be running 24/7 prime 95 so to see your CPU hit 65C on a test like that just shows what the maximum temps your PC will reach. In real world gaming my Hyper212 evo doesnt let my CPU hit over 55C at max load (bf3 online etc). I cant say enough for price/performance for the 212evo ; ) The closed loop coolers that are out these days just aren't worth it in my opinion unless your case is severely restricted around the CPU socket or your case doesn't have the depth for a taller tower style air cooler like the evo or noctua.
GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts
My h100i is whisper quiet At 4.4 ghz I don't even reach 53 degrees with prime95
Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

I wouldn't risk damaging my system from leaking.

Just stick with air cooler.

kipsta77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kipsta77
Member since 2012 • 1119 Posts

i had the first gen h80 for a week last year. Everytime you turned the pc on the fans would start at %100 for a few seconds than lower themselves. It drove me up the wall, especially becuase I favor silence.

Other than that though, it was an outstanding cooler!

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

i had the first gen h80 for a week last year. Everytime you turned the pc on the fans would start at %100 for a few seconds than lower themselves. It drove me up the wall, especially becuase I favor silence.

Other than that though, it was an outstanding cooler!

kipsta77
How did that annoy you? :\ They only do that for a second or two at boot and then drop down to whatever you set them to. If if bothered you that much, you should have just connected them to something else (PSU with fan speed reducer, motherboard, fan controller, etc).
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#12 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
1. the h60 was only ~$15 more than some of the best air coolers 2. the h60 is silent contrasted with the air cooling 3. it is a closed-loop system... no maintenance, no leaking 4. it is much more efficient than my old air cooler I really don't think it's worth it anymore to buy a non-stock air cooler when these things are so cheap now.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

have one of the now old H80, it is pretty quiet, very good for keeping the cpu cool (almost too good, sometimes I question the readouts, but if true then my CPU have never broken the 52 degree mark.

I have no complaints at all, hell the standard fans I have on my cabinet are far more noisy then the H80 (currently in the ballanced mode or what you want to call the 2 lights on out of 3)

Basicly it is hazzle free, gives more room, possibly a better airflow (although not something I will claim outright).

Since I have an x79 I had no choice really but to get something akin to the hydro cooling solution apart from true watercooling, but going farwards I doubt that I will go back to the old bulky coolers of old (worth noting that the H80 costs the same as most higher end air coolers where I live)

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts
Both big air and these coolers work well. I'm not fond of big air due to the physical size. The weight off the mb is of concern to me (long term, though it's not a huge deal) but I have also found that my gpu temps dropped a bit going with a rad because the heat starts at the top and leaves the case right away, rather than having some of the heat blow around the case. It's also nice to be able to access memory when needed, though that's not a huge concern either. Either way you go, you should be ok. Amazon is a great place to order in case you get a faulty unit. They replace things quickly, especially if you are a prime member.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
I've got the H100 and I don't like it. I initially bought it knowing it was a compromise until I could get a proper water-cooling setup, and it performs reasonable well, but for an i7 3930K it just isn't enough. The part I dislike most about it is the tubing - it's plasticy and stiff, I don't know why they used plastic instead of rubber tubing considering the price.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
[QUOTE="GioVela2010"]My h100i is whisper quiet At 4.4 ghz I don't even reach 53 degrees with prime95

Nice, what CPU and what voltage?
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I wouldn't risk damaging my system from leaking.

Just stick with air cooler.

Cyberdot
I'm pretty sure that's rare, but it's in the realm of possibility. However, the thought of a leak is "scary." x) I'd like to buy a Kuhler one day, or Corsair H80i.
GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GioVela2010
[QUOTE="PernicioEnigma"][QUOTE="GioVela2010"]My h100i is whisper quiet At 4.4 ghz I don't even reach 53 degrees with prime95

Nice, what CPU and what voltage?

3770k and I think 1.15
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
I have an H60 and at first i didn't like it (was using the stock fan) but with the Gentle Typhoons 1450rpm in push/pull i'm using it its great. You can hear the pump over all fans on my rig tho (while gpu isn't under load) so that's one annoying thing i guess.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts
[QUOTE="GioVela2010"] 3770k and I think 1.15

That's a low voltage. Very low. Anyhow I am happy with my H100 for now. Do want to build my own custom water loop though. Put in a huge radiator and have several fans running at low speed to keep it all cool.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="Gammit10"]1. the h60 was only ~$15 more than some of the best air coolers 2. the h60 is silent contrasted with the air cooling 3. it is a closed-loop system... no maintenance, no leaking 4. it is much more efficient than my old air cooler I really don't think it's worth it anymore to buy a non-stock air cooler when these things are so cheap now.

You need fans on the rad so it isn't silent...
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gammit10
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Gammit10"]1. the h60 was only ~$15 more than some of the best air coolers 2. the h60 is silent contrasted with the air cooling 3. it is a closed-loop system... no maintenance, no leaking 4. it is much more efficient than my old air cooler I really don't think it's worth it anymore to buy a non-stock air cooler when these things are so cheap now.

There is a fan on the rad, and it's still silent. I'm watching it spin now.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kraken2109
[QUOTE="Gammit10"][QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Gammit10"]1. the h60 was only ~$15 more than some of the best air coolers 2. the h60 is silent contrasted with the air cooling 3. it is a closed-loop system... no maintenance, no leaking 4. it is much more efficient than my old air cooler I really don't think it's worth it anymore to buy a non-stock air cooler when these things are so cheap now.

In which case putting that fan on an air cooler would be silent, therefore your 2nd point is null.
GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GioVela2010
[QUOTE="horgen123"][QUOTE="GioVela2010"] 3770k and I think 1.15

That's a low voltage. Very low. Anyhow I am happy with my H100 for now. Do want to build my own custom water loop though. Put in a huge radiator and have several fans running at low speed to keep it all cool.

I know, once I go to 4.5 Ghz i need a lot more voltage and the temp sky rockets.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
[QUOTE="GioVela2010"][QUOTE="horgen123"][QUOTE="GioVela2010"] 3770k and I think 1.15

I know, once I go to 4.5 Ghz i need a lot more voltage and the temp sky rockets.

Have you tried delidding it?
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="Gammit10"][QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Gammit10"]1. the h60 was only ~$15 more than some of the best air coolers 2. the h60 is silent contrasted with the air cooling 3. it is a closed-loop system... no maintenance, no leaking 4. it is much more efficient than my old air cooler I really don't think it's worth it anymore to buy a non-stock air cooler when these things are so cheap now.

You're probably looking for the word, "quiet." Silent would be impossible unless you're developing hearing loss! Jk! For sensitive ears like mine, I'd probably be able to hear it 2 feet away lol.
GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GioVela2010
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="GioVela2010"][QUOTE="horgen123"] That's a low voltage. Very low. Anyhow I am happy with my H100 for now. Do want to build my own custom water loop though. Put in a huge radiator and have several fans running at low speed to keep it all cool.

Have you tried delidding it?

Don't trust myself lol
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gammit10
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Gammit10"][QUOTE="kraken2109"] You need fans on the rad so it isn't silent...

In which case putting that fan on an air cooler would be silent, therefore your 2nd point is null.

Your logic is flawed. This liquid cooling pulls heat away much more efficiently contrasted with air cooling. The fan on my radiator is much more quiet than the one on my old air heat-sink. Even if I did what you are proposing and put this particular fan on my old heat-sink, it would likely have to spin harder and produce more noise to pull as much heat away as this setup.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kraken2109
[QUOTE="Gammit10"][QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Gammit10"] There is a fan on the rad, and it's still silent. I'm watching it spin now.

Your logic is flawed. This liquid cooling pulls heat away much more efficiently contrasted with air cooling. The fan on my radiator is much more quiet than the one on my old air heat-sink. Even if I did what you are proposing and put this particular fan on my old heat-sink, it would likely have to spin harder and produce more noise to pull as much heat away as this setup.

It depends on the heatsink, but yes, the liquid cooler would probably be better. My point was that air cooling is as loud or quiet as you want it to be, so noise isn't necessarily a reason to go liquid.
demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 demi0227_basic
[QUOTE="Gammit10"][QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Gammit10"] There is a fan on the rad, and it's still silent. I'm watching it spin now.

It's important to note that while water absorbs some 25x the heat that air does, you need fans on the rad to move that heat out of the water, necessitating more fans. Unless you have a HUGE, unrealistic rad, you will need fans on the rad to operate effectively. The basics of rads/heatsinks are the same. The position of heat dissapation is simply moved, and with water you can have more surface space to dissipate that heat. This is why the Noctua D-14 and other coolers are about the same in effectiveness as even 240mm rads...there's a lot of surface space. If you had, say, a 240mm rad with no fans on it, you will quickly cook your' cpu, especially if running @ load and oc'ed. If you have a closed loop liquid cooler and aren't oc'ing, you aren't too bright.
demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 demi0227_basic
Quick note, I wasn't saying "you" as in you...I meant it as in "people." I just didn't want somebody to see your' post and ruin their computer by not having fans on their rad.
merigoldsass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 merigoldsass
Member since 2011 • 575 Posts

no problems leaking, however, pump rattle with old h60 and new h80i has stripped threading for fan screws on the radiator and the screws do not stay in place.

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

It will eventually leak. Any plumber could tell you that. And if the pump fails, you have no cooling at all, and the CPU goes critical like plutonium, whereas if the fan fails on an air cooler, you still have enough passive to save the chip, probably. These are the two reasons I will never go liquid unless I become a wealthy overclock hobbyist, in which case I'll build my own.