Every RPG Fan Owes it to Themselves to Play The Witcher 2

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by robertlie (866 posts) -

Have to agree with OP. I love the Witcher series. Especially the first one. I'm on my third playthrough on Withcer 2, and still loving it :)

#52 Posted by KalDurenik (3768 posts) -
For me both games did something better then the other game. TW1's combat system was "ok" but broken due to the "hit everything around you" attack. Making all encounters pointless as you could slaughter tons of enemies with no effort. The story for TW1 was good but like someone else said there was to many fetch quests. The inventory ui was abit meh and dumb done for no reason what so ever.. TW2 improve the combat in some areas but also take some major steps back the combat is more "actiony" but at the same time it lack the smoothness of a good action combat system. Sure once you have learned that there is a delay where you cant do anything everything will be fine but still its abit annoying. Then you have broken ui that went 500 steps back from TW1. A good story and a interesting choice that you can make there. Overall like i said both games did something good but both games also did some bad things. We will see how TW3 improve (or make it worse) in some areas. *Better combat system *Better ui *More choices / consequences. *More gameplay without padding it out with to much filler content.
#53 Posted by BattleSpectre (6542 posts) -

Couldn't max out this game, but was able to punch out some decent settings whilst playing and it did look pretty darn impressive i must say. I could only imagine how it'd look maxed out with everything turned to the highest.

#54 Posted by biggest_loser (24105 posts) -
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Its one of the most over-hyped games, mostly because it was a PC exclusive. It was full of bugs when it came out and the combat/difficult was broken. I found the first game to be a much more interesting journey and generally a lot more charming. I liked the details in the towns and such. FelipeInside
First one was full of bugs too at launch. CD Projeckt is known for this. The good thing is they fixed them rather quickly. Hopefully Cyberpunk won't be as bad. Don't know about the difficulty broken? I had no issues and thought it was a good balance.

I just think its unacceptable that they could release a sequel that hyped with bugs like broken menus. Press Esc and it takes 5 minutes to open the menu. Sure they fixed some stuff but didn't they learn from the first game? Also, the problem with the difficulty was that for me I found the normal difficulty too hard, so I put it back on the easiest and the game makes enemies almost totally passive. Some larger ones won't even fight back. So you either have it very hard or too easy and nothing in between. It spoilt it for me.
#55 Posted by BattleSpectre (6542 posts) -

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Its one of the most over-hyped games, mostly because it was a PC exclusive. It was full of bugs when it came out and the combat/difficult was broken. I found the first game to be a much more interesting journey and generally a lot more charming. I liked the details in the towns and such. biggest_loser
First one was full of bugs too at launch. CD Projeckt is known for this. The good thing is they fixed them rather quickly. Hopefully Cyberpunk won't be as bad. Don't know about the difficulty broken? I had no issues and thought it was a good balance.

I just think its unacceptable that they could release a sequel that hyped with bugs like broken menus. Press Esc and it takes 5 minutes to open the menu. Sure they fixed some stuff but didn't they learn from the first game? Also, the problem with the difficulty was that for me I found the normal difficulty too hard, so I put it back on the easiest and the game makes enemies almost totally passive. Some larger ones won't even fight back. So you either have it very hard or too easy and nothing in between. It spoilt it for me.

I can vouch for this and agree. Normal Difficulty felt so damn hard and i also had to turn down the difficulty at some sections.

#56 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4184 posts) -

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Its one of the most over-hyped games, mostly because it was a PC exclusive. It was full of bugs when it came out and the combat/difficult was broken. I found the first game to be a much more interesting journey and generally a lot more charming. I liked the details in the towns and such. Elann2008
I didn't encounter any bugs, but I definitely agree the difficulty is broken. The game isn't all that difficult but some of the boss fights on normal are brutal. I also liked the first Witcher's world better, but TW2 seemed to have better dialogue and personalities (although difficult to compare) I'd say both games have their strength's and weaknesses and I wouldn't rate one higher than the other. Both are excellent games I believe every PC gamer should play.

I disagree. The difficulty wasn't broken. It was challenging for some parts and boss fights. I wouldn't know why people wanted it to be easy, and then call the difficulty broken. And then turn around and say Dark Souls is awesome because it's hard. TW1 was too easy so I'm glad they kicked it up a notch.

No, TW2 was easy pretty much the entire games EXCEPT for the boss fights that were unnecessarily hard, especially the last boss fight. The jump in difficulty is astounding and can't be considered anything but broken. I know boss fights should be more difficult but TW2 was just ridiculous with it. The difficulty isn't the problem, the random jumps in difficulty is. It's still a fantastic game though.

#57 Posted by kraken2109 (13160 posts) -

Is it open world or linear?

I played the first few hours (which were linear) and couldn't really get into it.

#58 Posted by EliteM0nk3y (3382 posts) -

Is it open world or linear?

I played the first few hours (which were linear) and couldn't really get into it.

kraken2109
It's hub based. So you do have some freedom during the chapters. The story is mostly linear, however at point you have a major decision that will affect the next couple chapters.
#59 Posted by FelipeInside (25968 posts) -
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Its one of the most over-hyped games, mostly because it was a PC exclusive. It was full of bugs when it came out and the combat/difficult was broken. I found the first game to be a much more interesting journey and generally a lot more charming. I liked the details in the towns and such. biggest_loser

They are a brand new company considering, and they are doing pretty well. Look at Obsidian, they have been around for decades and still bring out games full of bugs. I don't remember my menu taking 5min to open though.
#60 Posted by mdofresh (12 posts) -
I have the game on GOG and have not yet played it. :(
#61 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22157 posts) -

still need to finish it(playing dragon age atm),but havent eat the first boss yet. dont get why you cant use potions during battle.

#62 Posted by FelipeInside (25968 posts) -

still need to finish it(playing dragon age atm),but havent eat the first boss yet. dont get why you cant use potions during battle.

TheShadowLord07
It's to do with the Lore and the Book I believe. The Witchers use like a pre-battle ritual where they prepare themselves with potions for battle.
#63 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] I didn't encounter any bugs, but I definitely agree the difficulty is broken. The game isn't all that difficult but some of the boss fights on normal are brutal. I also liked the first Witcher's world better, but TW2 seemed to have better dialogue and personalities (although difficult to compare) I'd say both games have their strength's and weaknesses and I wouldn't rate one higher than the other. Both are excellent games I believe every PC gamer should play.Toxic-Seahorse

I disagree. The difficulty wasn't broken. It was challenging for some parts and boss fights. I wouldn't know why people wanted it to be easy, and then call the difficulty broken. And then turn around and say Dark Souls is awesome because it's hard. TW1 was too easy so I'm glad they kicked it up a notch.

No, TW2 was easy pretty much the entire games EXCEPT for the boss fights that were unnecessarily hard, especially the last boss fight. The jump in difficulty is astounding and can't be considered anything but broken. I know boss fights should be more difficult but TW2 was just ridiculous with it. The difficulty isn't the problem, the random jumps in difficulty is. It's still a fantastic game though.

Ahh ok gotcha. Like how Dragon Age Origins difficulty spiked up at times but overall, the game was easy.
#64 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16964 posts) -

I liked the Witcher 2, but that game is flawed in many ways...especially when it first released. There are a lot more RPGs this generation that deserve to be played.

#65 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16964 posts) -

Haven't played 2 yet, but I heard it being ripped on alot for the over-reliance of rolling around on the ground during combat.

bussinrounds

Yes, that part of the game is ridiculous. It's also funny in an unintentional way.

#66 Posted by FelipeInside (25968 posts) -

[QUOTE="bussinrounds"]

Haven't played 2 yet, but I heard it being ripped on alot for the over-reliance of rolling around on the ground during combat.

JangoWuzHere

Yes, that part of the game is ridiculous. It's also funny in an unintentional way.

You don't HAVE to roll around every 2 seconds. I finished the game and only rolled when I had to.
#67 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16964 posts) -

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

[QUOTE="bussinrounds"]

FelipeInside

You don't HAVE to roll around every 2 seconds. I finished the game and only rolled when I had to.

It's not like there is a disadvantage to rolling. There isn't any sort of stamina meter or whatever to stop you from doing it. You are far more likely to dodge attacks and stay alive by rolling constantly.

#68 Posted by FelipeInside (25968 posts) -

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

JangoWuzHere

It's not like there is a disadvantage to rolling. There isn't any sort of stamina meter or whatever to stop you from doing it. You are far more likely to dodge attacks and stay alive by rolling constantly.

Ahh I see what you guys meant. So a Stamina Rolling Meter would of been better to stop you from rolling too much.
#69 Posted by October_Tide (5396 posts) -

Agreed,it is a classic sir,and I played it in 3D last night and good lord! :)

CUDGEdave

My jelly levels are over 9000!!!!! I really need to replay it again. I played through it three times when it came out but couldn't really play through it again when the dark mode came out.