Every RPG Fan Owes it to Themselves to Play The Witcher 2

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

I have never been so blow away by a game OR a movie or any sort of entertainment media. The Witcher 2 is BEAUTIFUL. Ive absolutely loved very few games and I am very pleased to add the Witcher 2 to my top picks. Not only do you get an amazing story you also get a game with great gameplay, great atmosphere, and wonderful pacing. Its as if the devs knew they needed to change the pace as the game progressed so as to keep a grip on the player.

You play the game as you like and make decisions that can completely change the story. I love it. Ive only played through once and cant go through again but let me tell you...just that ONE play through makes me desperate for the Witcher 3. It was like playing an entire grizzly sexy season of A Game of Thrones. You learned to care for the characters AND for the mystery surrounding the events in the game. The devs certainly set up the Witcher 3 but not without a satisfying and fulfilling ending that brings you some closure. Ive also never played such a mature game with nice humor.

/rant

Go @*#&ing buy it. lol. Its worth every damn penny and more.

CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

Agreed,it is a classic sir,and I played it in 3D last night and good lord! :)

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

I never beat it but got pretty far. I gotta go back and finish it.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

great gameplay

Gamesterpheonix

A crappy attempt to copy Demon's Souls doesn't count as great in my book. The combat is beyond awful.

The first game was much better.

dracolich55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 dracolich55
Member since 2010 • 2343 Posts
You sound like this is your first time playing a WRPG. Many RPGS can only hope to reach TW2 in terms of quality, but this choice and story thing has been done before and in rare instances, better.
id_mew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 id_mew
Member since 2007 • 608 Posts

I'am currently palying on PC. Tried the first Witcher and I couldn't get into it, but I'm loving the second one.

Very good story, and combat is pretty good but I think the game needed a lot more polish.

Probably give it an 8/10.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#7 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Witcher, Witcher 2, Baldurs Gate 2, Planescape Torment, and Fallout 2 should be played by everyone.

[QUOTE="Gamesterpheonix"]

great gameplay

Baranga

A crappy attempt to copy Demon's Souls doesn't count as great in my book. The combat is beyond awful.

I wouldn't say it's awful, not even bad, but it does need work. I also liked the combat in the first more.
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gamesterpheonix

great gameplay

Baranga

lol how it is "awful". Swordplay is pretty fun and satisfying in my book. Sure there are flow problems between magic and swordplay but otherwise I loved it. And Im not sure if its a copy of Dark Souls but dont most games borrow? lol. Also I wasnt aware Dark Souls was so spectacular in the gameplay department. From the gameplay videos Ive seen it always seemed sluggish.
Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

Narrative divergence through character interaction (that being dialogue in this case) is probably the least significant aspect to role-playing. Nor is it exclusive to role-playing.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

great gameplay

Baranga

I have the first! I'm playing it after I beat AC 2:D

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

If i just want to play to experience the world, combat and story then would this be a good game for me? I don't want to be bogged down in numbers and stats and mixing potions and having to follow a bunch of random rules that add nothing to what makes a game fun.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts
The major drawback was the combat.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

great gameplay

Baranga

Yeah, they should have kept the core combat from TW1 and improved it.
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gamesterpheonix

If i just want to play to experience the world, combat and story then would this be a good game for me? I don't want to be bogged down in numbers and stats and mixing potions and having to follow a bunch of random rules that add nothing to what makes a game fun.

hoola
Ya. You can set it to easy and not need to use potions and such. As for number - you dont really need to worry about any numbers. The skills are just a matter of allocating talent points in a skill tree. The alchemy is easy though. You generally collect everything you need as you explore. I would use gamepressures guide though if you want to make the progression a little simpler. If you havent played the Witcher 1 or dont remember how it plays you wont always know what to do. Otherwise its a great game.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

great gameplay

Baranga

Whattttttt? The first game was great but the gameplay was broken and awful in some parts. Click here and there with timing to do a combo?? The second one changed all that and made the combat fluid, just how Geralt moves with his swords (some camera angles were a bit off though). As for the game, a good RPG, but I found that some of the Map Design Decision were a bit off, and there was too much backtracking.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
It is one of the games on Steam waiting til I finish my PC.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Anyone else think CDPR's reveal next month is gonna be a TW2 expansion and not TW3?

great gameplay

Baranga

1330806760417.gif

GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GameFan1983
Member since 2004 • 2189 Posts

to each his own I guess. TW2 is a 6.5/10 in my book, I can see how it was able attract certain type of gamers, after all, you spend 70% of time watching emotionless NPC face and explore the dialog rather then give the freedom on players hand, QTE boss fight, awful inventory system. meaningless crafting etc. and don't make me start on the combat. (maybe because I played Demon's souls before I played TW2)

in any event, I wasn't expect this game te be even duller than the first Witcher, I bought the game because I was completely cheated by the well put out commercial trailers and music, which are the only good parts of TW2, visual presentation is much better than the first, but still a 7.5 for its time. for ti's gameplay I tortured myself to get to chapter 2, the only thought I had in my mind back then was to finish it quick and never touch it again, thanks got chapter 3 is only 2 hours long.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside

to each his own I guess. TW2 is a 6.5/10 in my book, I can see how it was able attracte certain type of gamers, afterall, you spend 70% of time watching emotionless NPC face and explore the dailog rather then give the freedom on players hand, QTE boss fight, awful inventory system. meaningless crafting etc. and don't make me start on the combat. (maybe because I played Demon's souls before I played TW2)

in any event, I wasn't expect this game te be even duller than the first Witcher, I was completely cheated by the well put out commerical trailers and music, which are the only good parts of TW2, visual presentation is much better than the first, but still a 7.5 for its time, I totured myself to get to charpter 2, the only thought I had in my mind back then was to finsh it quick and never touch it again, thanks got charpter 3 is only 2 hours long.

GameFan1983
Everybody raves about this Demons Souls game. I just installed Dark Souls yesterday. Only played a bit last night. Will have to wait and play more to see what all the fuss is about.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

CUDGEdave
What kind of system do you need to run stuff in 3D?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="CUDGEdave"]

chrisrooR

- A Strong PC

- A 120Mhz Monitor capable of running 3D

- A Video Card capable of running 3D

- 3D Glasses

- The "cheaper" way to do it is to buy a monitor that "simulates" 3D using it's own hardware, like the Samsung S27A950. That's going to be my new monitor on my new build. You won't get the same type of 3D as the above configuration, but it's not that bad either.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

[QUOTE="CUDGEdave"]

chrisrooR

I have a GTX 570 and Phenom 2 965 and it ran perfectly fine in 720p 3D on a Panasonic ST30. It's one of the few games that you must experience in 3D.

Also, shutter-glasses > polarized. all day every day.

Ameliahunter1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ameliahunter1
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Yeah, The Witcher 2 is one of the coolest games ever. I am replaying it at the moment... Wanted to choose Rouche's path, but couldn't, went with the elves again... :)))))
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

I tried to play it, but my laptop is absolutely incapable of running it, even though I meet/exceed the minimum requirements. That's the only game I've ever tried where the minimum specs are a straight up lie. My laptop exceeds the minimum requirements (just barely, but exceeding, nonetheless), and I get no more than 15-17 fps at minimum settings and 800x600 res. Completely unplayable.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
I did...bored me to death.
INF1DEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 INF1DEL
Member since 2006 • 2083 Posts
I'm fighting my way through the first game before I start the second. Awkward inventory system, awkward alchemy system, bad combat, bad voice acting. I've spent a whole lot of time running in circles not sure what I'm doing. I'm at the start of act 3 and hoping the story starts getting coherent soon.
ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

I think the game has a good ambience and visual art style but CD prjeckt forgot to inject some good gameplay into all of that. The real time combat mechanics they used don't work well, I didn't find alchemy or "signs" any better. I can't really remember there being any serious puzzles in the game which made me have to use my noggin. Just a lot of NPC talking and then sub-par combat followed by listening to more NPCs talk.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

im about 24 hours into my first play through .. toward the end of chapter 2. im loving TW2 so far

LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
How important is it to have completed TW1? I bought 2, but I'm in the middle of Chapter 2 in TW1 and....it's just not doing it for me. I'm on some stupid quest and even after reading online how to proceed, the blacksmith still doesn't let me forge the necessary item. So I kind of just want to ditch TW1 and move on to the sequel.
ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts
The Witcher 1 is the one that deserves to be played by every so called rpg fan. The Witcher 2 was a such a disappointment, it made me sad.
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

The Witcher 1 is the one that deserves to be played by every so called rpg fan. The Witcher 2 was a such a disappointment, it made me sad.ampiva

TW1 was a mediorce game that mostly consisted of fetch quests. TW2 had less of this, and significantly tighter pacing.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#32 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Wierd, everyone seems to divided on which witcher game they like more, for me its almost dead even.

Witcher1 did some stuff better (more missions, much longer game, had more rpg elements), while Witcher2 did some stuff better (Much better engine, better graphics, better controls and Starts off alot faster then Witcher1). For me I like some aspects of the combat better in witcher2, but then again I like some aspects of Wiicher1s also (part to is much more smooth combat, but witcher 1 had so much more depth with what you could do and level up,etc.. It just was not as tight so to speak)

Loved em both but for different reasons.

Cloud567kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cloud567kar
Member since 2007 • 2656 Posts

great gameplay

Baranga

I loved the combat. TW2 is one of my favourite games this gen.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

How important is it to have completed TW1? I bought 2, but I'm in the middle of Chapter 2 in TW1 and....it's just not doing it for me. I'm on some stupid quest and even after reading online how to proceed, the blacksmith still doesn't let me forge the necessary item. So I kind of just want to ditch TW1 and move on to the sequel.LongZhiZi
Not at all in the context of Witcher 2. They are very disconnected in that way. There's some people you meet in 1 that you will meet again in 2, but that's mostly it.

The story has some interesting, though pretty obvious if you're paying attention, twists though. It's worth playing through just for the story. Skip all the sidequests.

At the beginning of Witcher 1, Geralt has amnesia. At the beginning of Witcher 2, Geralt still has amnesia.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

great gameplay

Baranga

If true, I think I wasted $7.50. I hated TW1 and was bored to tears in the first 2 hours. I only bought the second as I told it was vastly superior to the first one. Maybe we just like different types of games.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

great gameplay

Cwagmire21

If true, I think I wasted $7.50. I hated TW1 and was bored to tears in the first 2 hours. I only bought the second as I told it was vastly superior to the first one. Maybe we just like different types of games.

TW1 had it's things, but I too just got too bored (mostly because of the click this icon to make a combo gameplay). Yet TW2 I loved all the way through. Even finished it which is something uncommon with me with RPGs these days (limited time to play them).
EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

great gameplay

Cwagmire21

It takes a while, but eventually TW1 does get good, you just have to hold out for a few hours. Especially since you can import your TW1 save into TW2 in which case some things will change based on your decisions in TW1.
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

That 'timing your clicks' combat of the Witcher 1 was pretty terrible. Haven't played 2 yet, but I heard it being ripped on alot for the over-reliance of rolling around on the ground during combat.

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

Completely agree. Its fantastic. Its the game for people who thought mass effect wasnt a deep enough experience. it out classes basically every modern story driven rpg in every way. Its smart, funny, challenging, thoughtful and beautiful.

I have been replaying it with one of my buddies (forth time for me, first time for him) and man, seeing that game again and experiencing a fresh perspective on the witcher 2 vicariously though him has only solidified that game to me as one of the best this generation. Its has one of the most believable worlds in a game, right up there with the Half life universe and and bioshock. The first encounter we had with the endrega (it was the first time we entered the forest outside flotsam) was incredible and terrifying. My friend andrew say the endrega, and then looked flotsam's walls behind us and was like "oh my god, that is why those walls are so tall and have spikes on them..." to which i replied "lol yeah." Everything in the witcher 2 fits together so well. Im not saying its perfect, im just saying its the best at almost everything it does.

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jettpack

Yeah, The Witcher 2 is one of the coolest games ever. I am replaying it at the moment... Wanted to choose Rouche's path, but couldn't, went with the elves again... :)))))Ameliahunter1
dude! that entire game changes if you choose roches path! Its like a completely new set of quests and areas. man, looks like you are going to have to play it again. haha.

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jettpack

That 'timing your clicks' combat of the Witcher 1 was pretty terrible. Haven't played 2 yet, but I heard it being ripped on alot for the over-reliance of rolling around on the ground during combat.

bussinrounds

you do have to roll a lot at first, but that can be avoided if you use all your tools. bombs, all five sign powers, traps, throwing knives, blocking, rolling. potions. oils. They give you a huge amount of tools to use. once you learn to combine all of them in an effective way, that combat really sings.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#42 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Its one of the most over-hyped games, mostly because it was a PC exclusive. It was full of bugs when it came out and the combat/difficult was broken. I found the first game to be a much more interesting journey and generally a lot more charming. I liked the details in the towns and such.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FelipeInside
Its one of the most over-hyped games, mostly because it was a PC exclusive. It was full of bugs when it came out and the combat/difficult was broken. I found the first game to be a much more interesting journey and generally a lot more charming. I liked the details in the towns and such. biggest_loser
First one was full of bugs too at launch. CD Projeckt is known for this. The good thing is they fixed them rather quickly. Hopefully Cyberpunk won't be as bad. Don't know about the difficulty broken? I had no issues and thought it was a good balance.
omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 omenodebander
Member since 2004 • 1401 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Its one of the most over-hyped games, mostly because it was a PC exclusive. It was full of bugs when it came out and the combat/difficult was broken. I found the first game to be a much more interesting journey and generally a lot more charming. I liked the details in the towns and such. FelipeInside
First one was full of bugs too at launch. CD Projeckt is known for this. The good thing is they fixed them rather quickly. Hopefully Cyberpunk won't be as bad. Don't know about the difficulty broken? I had no issues and thought it was a good balance.

Every game has bugs. some are really bad, some aren't. From fallout 2 to baldur's gate, Obsidian games---- to pretty much the best of the best on pc.

Alex_Baratheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Alex_Baratheon
Member since 2013 • 33 Posts
I agree. The Witcher is one of the best RPG games I've ever played, and Assassins of Kings improves on it in almost every aspect. The thing that attracted me the most in this series is the world. It feels very fleshed out, with a fleshed out history, every event has it's own backstory. The characters are also very unique. None of them fall into the " good guys " or " bad guys " category, but all of them are grey characters, just like Geralt. But, there was also a major drawback - the combat system. The Witcher's system was flawed, but the system of Assassins of Kings was worse. I'd have prefered if they kept the combat from the original. It felt unfinished, and it could have been very good if they focused on it for a bit longer.
Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts
Honestly the witcher 2 is one of my fav games of all time, I love it to death
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
Its one of the most over-hyped games, mostly because it was a PC exclusive. It was full of bugs when it came out and the combat/difficult was broken. I found the first game to be a much more interesting journey and generally a lot more charming. I liked the details in the towns and such. biggest_loser
I didn't encounter any bugs, but I definitely agree the difficulty is broken. The game isn't all that difficult but some of the boss fights on normal are brutal. I also liked the first Witcher's world better, but TW2 seemed to have better dialogue and personalities (although difficult to compare) I'd say both games have their strength's and weaknesses and I wouldn't rate one higher than the other. Both are excellent games I believe every PC gamer should play.
GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GameFan1983
Member since 2004 • 2189 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Its one of the most over-hyped games, mostly because it was a PC exclusive. It was full of bugs when it came out and the combat/difficult was broken. I found the first game to be a much more interesting journey and generally a lot more charming. I liked the details in the towns and such. FelipeInside

I think he meant prologue being the hardest, where you have to fight alot plate armor knights while yourself output little dmg with the default weapon you had at time, and all enemies felt like sheeps after pologue, also the armor rating is also broken from beinging to end.

ciorlandenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 ciorlandenis
Member since 2012 • 322 Posts

it felt boring to me :|

gonna install it again and give it another shot.

anyone know some good mods for it?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Its one of the most over-hyped games, mostly because it was a PC exclusive. It was full of bugs when it came out and the combat/difficult was broken. I found the first game to be a much more interesting journey and generally a lot more charming. I liked the details in the towns and such. Toxic-Seahorse
I didn't encounter any bugs, but I definitely agree the difficulty is broken. The game isn't all that difficult but some of the boss fights on normal are brutal. I also liked the first Witcher's world better, but TW2 seemed to have better dialogue and personalities (although difficult to compare) I'd say both games have their strength's and weaknesses and I wouldn't rate one higher than the other. Both are excellent games I believe every PC gamer should play.

I disagree. The difficulty wasn't broken. It was challenging for some parts and boss fights. I wouldn't know why people wanted it to be easy, and then call the difficulty broken. And then turn around and say Dark Souls is awesome because it's hard. TW1 was too easy so I'm glad they kicked it up a notch.