EverQuest Next: 3 New classes announced

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Those 3 classes are the Cleric, Elementalist and Tempest.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/952/feature/8804/EverQuest-Next-Say-Hello-to-the-Cleric-Elementalist-and-Tempest.html

Cleric: Oh my goodness, you finally got a support character in an mmo again. Setting up opportunitites for other players, getting them out of a bind and buffing them helping them doing their job better. This makes me extremely excited for this class, seeing as support is by far my favorite role in RPGs as well as MMORPGs. While he has access to healing too, but I am far more excited about his support capabilities.Of all the classes shown so far, this one is the one that interests me the most.

Elementalist: Man it is nice to see dedicated crowd control characters again ever since WoW decided to make crowd control a fire and which keeps an out of combat without fail during its 50 minute duration. Furthermore, using some of the skills seem to have an impact on the environment too. Using the ice skill can turn the environment into ice which makes terraforming a lot easier. Finally it will be interesting to see how other characters can interact with the affects the ele puts on his or her foes. How will others be able to interact with burning or frozen. Overall seems like a very interesting class and one I will definately play assuming I get the game.

Tempest: Meh... looks like a highly mobile dps but with lightning. Not really my style and I couldn't care less about this class. Everyone else seemed very enthusiastic however.

What do you guys think of these classes, do you share my opinion, do you disagree? Which class interests you the most of these, or perhaps none interest you.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

This is the only MMO I've been interested in trying.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

If they try pull the same shit as Elder Scrolls (£49.99 + all the other shit) wont even try this.

Otherwise, it looks interesting. FF: RR is starting to get abit boring.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Maroxad

@blangenakker said:

This is the only MMO I've been interested in trying.

This and The Repopulation for me. At first I was a bit pessimisitic, as the game reminded me a bit too much of an mmo I consider to be really bad, but now it is looking better and better.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

@Maroxad: oh, what is The Repopulation?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Maroxad

@blangenakker A spiritual successor to Star Wars Galaxies. Whether it is good or not yet, remains to be seen, but I am impressed with how open they are with the community and I like the footage shown.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Ya same being from everquest the old days veeshan server..I miss them days of challenging mmorpgs..Maybe they will bring back the challenge..Not the hell lvls though..I miss grouping with friends..Every one wants a solo mmorpg now ..

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

If they try pull the same shit as Elder Scrolls (£49.99 + all the other shit) wont even try this.

Already confirmed F2P I believe

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Maroxad said:

We all know that this game will be released and you will finish up not liking it cause it will be a modern themepark MMO and not difficult enough :P

I'm personally looking forward to it. I never got to play the old Everquests and this one looks like fun. Someone said it's confirmed F2P though which really has me worried.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Maroxad

@FelipeInside said:

We all know that this game will be released and you will finish up not liking it cause it will be a modern themepark MMO and not difficult enough :P

I'm personally looking forward to it. I never got to play the old Everquests and this one looks like fun. Someone said it's confirmed F2P though which really has me worried.

Contrary to popular belief, I actually don't hate themepark mmos. Just these ultra linear, no fun allowed types that are all about linear questing questing up to level cap then do raids with that employ extremely outdated mechanics. Afterall, I did like City of Heroes, EQ1, EQ2, The first 30 levels as an imperial agent in SWTOR (surprised?) and The Secret World. ;)

It being f2p is worrying though, but on the bright side, it means that persuading my brother to come along shouldnt be as needlessly complicated as it usually is.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FelipeInside

@Maroxad said:

@FelipeInside said:

Contrary to popular belief, I actually don't hate themepark mmos. Just these ultra linear, no fun allowed types that are all about linear questing questing up to level cap then do raids with that employ extremely outdated mechanics. Afterall, I did like City of Heroes, EQ1, EQ2, The first 30 levels as an imperial agent in SWTOR (surprised?) and The Secret World. ;)

It being f2p is worrying though, but on the bright side, it means that persuading my brother to come along shouldnt be as needlessly complicated as it usually is.

Ah yes, TSW, what an underrated MMO. I wish I had the time to invest in it because the little I played I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

@Maroxad:

Here you bro unfortunately there will never be another city of heroes..That company went belly up, they did city of heroes 2 at first than changed the name to some thing else..Unfortunately..Neither will there be another challenging non linear mmorpg..Every kid today wants there hands held an a easy game..Sad but true..Except for dark souls 2 that i cant understand why its so popular..People normally hate hard games..

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

@Gladestone1 said:

@Maroxad:

Here you bro unfortunately there will never be another city of heroes...

I wouldn't be so sure about that: City of Titans.

I'm not saying it will be good or that it will even get finished, but there is a glimmer of hope.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

more i see of this game... the more im thinking it is going to be a pass.

the real problem with SOE F2P games is that even though you can sub to get rid of a lot of the pay walls.... they still have a lot of grind build into them due to their free to play nature. so even subbed people end up having to grind a shit ton to get anything done.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

damn this game looks as ugly as Crapstar.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FelipeInside

@silversix_ said:

Someone doesn't understand the term "visual style"

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 silversix_

@FelipeInside said:

@silversix_ said:

Its visual style is ugly. Its engine is also garbage. Look at these textures... ps2 quality in a 2015 game. Same engine as planet side 2 and manages to look worst even tho its released 2+ years after.

gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I'll never understand people like you. You just want everything to be free and handed to you. god this generation is so pathetic when it comes to games "oh it's not f2p **** this game". You guys are terrible and then you wonder why companies do things like micro transactions, they spend a lot of money to make these games and need some way to pay for it. Shit isn't free you know.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

The more I see about this game, the more I like it. Can't remember the last time I even remotely cared about an MMORPG. Terraforming? Parkour? F2P? The graphics in that particular video don't look great, but I've seen other footage where the game looks spectacular. I'm keeping my eye on it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

@gunmaster55555 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

I'll never understand people like you. You just want everything to be free and handed to you. god this generation is so pathetic when it comes to games "oh it's not f2p **** this game". You guys are terrible and then you wonder why companies do things like micro transactions, they spend a lot of money to make these games and need some way to pay for it. Shit isn't free you know.

No. I just don't want overcharged like a twat. That's different and very easy to comprehend.

Also, I dono if you actually read the post or done some research, Final Fantasy: Realm Reborn isn't free2play.

£15 it cost me + £8 a month.

Elder Scrolls £49.99 + locked class +mounts = £20 + £9

Total £79.99 VS £23

Yea, yea I'm terrible, at least I can fucking read. The consumer comes first, always. Not the other way around as modern gamers (such as yourself) seem to think. It costs alot? So fucking what. My bills cost a lot. They service us and as such, I demand the best, always.

You guys (as in apologist modern gamers) seem to be under the impression these billionaire companies are some third world African country seeking aid from Oxfam. What fucking reality are you in? No wonder they trample over people. Like fucking shooting fish in a barrel.

Also, ****.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FelipeInside

@silversix_ said:

@FelipeInside said:

@silversix_ said:

Its visual style is ugly. Its engine is also garbage. Look at these textures... ps2 quality in a 2015 game. Same engine as planet side 2 and manages to look worst even tho its released 2+ years after.

*look at these textures

*same engine

Like I said, you don't understand the term "visual style"

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 silversix_

@FelipeInside said:

@silversix_ said:

@FelipeInside said:

@silversix_ said:

*look at these textures

*same engine

Its visuals style looks like a Disney movie from the 80's. That's your visual style of this game...

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FelipeInside

@silversix_ said:

@FelipeInside said:

@silversix_ said:

@FelipeInside said:

@silversix_ said:

*look at these textures

*same engine

Its visuals style looks like a Disney movie from the 80's. That's your visual style of this game...

80s Disney movies are still being watched today :P

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Maroxad

@silversix_ said:

If that was the case, I would see nothing wrong with that... nothing at all. My biggest concern with the visuals and presentation of that video was the animations, which looked terrible. Enemies did not react to getting hit, which causes attacks to feel a lot less powerful.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 silversix_

@Maroxad said:

@silversix_ said:

If that was the case, I would see nothing wrong with that... nothing at all. My biggest concern with the visuals and presentation of that video was the animations, which looked terrible. Enemies did not react to getting hit, which causes attacks to feel a lot less powerful.

that's another problem but im sure they'll get better by release. Graphics/art direction won't and i hate what i see. Absolutely FUUUUUUUGLY. I find WoW art as bad as it gets and this one isn't far behind...

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

I definitely enjoyed watching SOE's presentation of the 3 new classes. However, I'm still disappointed at the lack of focus on Next verses Landmark. I know the game is still early in development, but I want it so bad.

If it's a MMORPG I like playing and it has a monthly fee then I'll be find with the payment model. I haven't seen any F2P game that deliveries a free experience. Not only that but also provides content and the ability to give players more ways to progress after launch for free. The free-to-play model is away to make more money off people who wouldn't originally play. Currently it's not for gamers who enjoy playing MMORPGs. Guild Wars 2 maybe F2P but it still doesn't provide enough content[in my opinion] for traditional fans of the genre who are looking for progression pass the level cap.

I guarantee you EverQuest Next will also have a "catch" for F2P. The upcoming Archeage does as well. It's suppose to provide a sandbox experience, however if you're not a subscriber the ability to create certain things(like houses) isn't available to you. Also, every crafting skill uses the labor point system. You get a certain amount of labor points, and while crafting certain task will consume a certain amount of points. Subscribers of Archeage will not only have more labor points to spend, but also they will regenerate faster then a free-to-play member. Plus if you're a Founder, you get an additional increase in labor point regeneration.

For my gaming habits F2P doesn't seem like the logical thing to do when playing MMORPGs. When and if ESO goes free to play, I can understand stand the traditional TES fan trying the game out at no cost to them. If they like it there's a better chance that Zenimax Online Studios has a potential new subscriber. If not, just nickel and dime your customer. After all it is a business.