ESO fanatic playing Wildstar

#1 Edited by NeoGen85 (4192 posts) -

Okay. So if you look at my previous post I enjoy The Elder Scrolls Online despite some of the questionable game design decisions. And even though I'm a big TES fan, I love MMORPGs more than any other genre. I currently have a VR 2 Templar that I absolutely enjoy playing with in ESO.

I met a great group of players in my guild who were taking a break from it, and they all had a friend who was really enthusiastic about Wildstar. I only spent 10 minutes with the game prior to the early access, but since I enjoyed playing with these people so much, I bought into the hype. My initial reaction wasn't horrible but I really wasn't too impressed at first.

I wasn't really enjoying the Engineer class and navigating quest(plus the backtracking) was getting on my !*&^% nerves. Rolling a Warrior my perspective started to change. I'm at level 15 and I just like to say Carbine Studios really has something here if you're looking for a MMORPG fix. Not to mention some of the flaws in ESO are even more noticeable when I do play Wildstar. Like I said before, I was playing The Elder Scrolls Online with friends and our #1 complaint was not being able to really quest with each other. Wildstar not only allows us to do that but it's just as fast pace, flashier, presents more of a challenge, and you can play with your $%^&ing friends!

I haven't reached the first dungeon, but from the chatter I here in Vent it sounds very engaging. Can't wait!

EDIT: I just like to add a note that the game's engine does need some optimization especially for AMD systems like mine.

#2 Posted by vfibsux (4217 posts) -

I am enjoying it as well, and I did not get into the beta much.

#3 Edited by FelipeInside (25969 posts) -

I was really looking forward to this MMO, but two things mostly put me off (from beta):

1) the quest system is just so confusing. You have different types of quests, and then different layers and whatever. I felt lost most of the time, and I'm pretty good with that stuff.

2) Why did they make the UI SO HUGE? I know you can make it smaller, but it takes up so much space that you can barely see your character.

What I DID like was the comedy, the colourful graphics and the action combat which is pretty fun.

#4 Posted by NeoGen85 (4192 posts) -

Actually, I agree with you on #1. The structure of the questing is so confusing! I actually had to download a add-on to help me manage things better. I'm currently at level 20. I don't want anyone to take my word for it, since I did recommend The Elder Scrolls Online to people who eventually tried and hated the game. But.......if you can bare to not laugh at me...I recommend anyone to at least play a character until they finish the first dungeon. Then make your judgment. By that time the game will already have thrown enough at you to really make a valid assessment on your investment. I played through the first dungeon last night and my party was so impressed by the design that we were still talking about it an hour later.

#5 Posted by vfibsux (4217 posts) -

I can say one thing...this is the Dark Souls of MMO's. I have never died so damn much before.

#6 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23717 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

I can say one thing...this is the Dark Souls of MMO's. I have never died so damn much before.

I think Tera's/Vindictus combat is more similar to Dark Souls.

#7 Posted by BSC14 (4016 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

I can say one thing...this is the Dark Souls of MMO's. I have never died so damn much before.

Yeah, it's pretty tough at time. Elites are......elite again.

#8 Posted by Arthas045 (5399 posts) -

Game looks pretty fun I will keep my eye on it for sure.

#9 Posted by JohnF111 (14105 posts) -

@BSC14: yeah that was my first thought, even the "red" mobs are pretty damn tough and they're not exactly elite I don't think, they're just ranked "very strong". I've died countless times hitting a red mob now but then again I'm not that great a player.

#10 Posted by vfibsux (4217 posts) -

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@vfibsux said:

I can say one thing...this is the Dark Souls of MMO's. I have never died so damn much before.

I think Tera's/Vindictus combat is more similar to Dark Souls.

You do know I am only comparing the dieing a lot part right? I don't recall dieing once in 30 levels in Tera....never played Vindictus.

#11 Posted by Wasdie (50392 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

I was really looking forward to this MMO, but two things mostly put me off (from beta):

1) the quest system is just so confusing. You have different types of quests, and then different layers and whatever. I felt lost most of the time, and I'm pretty good with that stuff.

2) Why did they make the UI SO HUGE? I know you can make it smaller, but it takes up so much space that you can barely see your character.

What I DID like was the comedy, the colourful graphics and the action combat which is pretty fun.

1) Questing system is a bit confusing right away because of the crazy amount of variety. I got the hang of it pretty quickly but your mileage may vary

2) They redid the UI a long time ago, it's the best MMO UI I've ever seen. What resolution are you playing at? At 1080p it looks great. I play at 1440p and it's even better.

#12 Posted by FelipeInside (25969 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

@FelipeInside said:

I was really looking forward to this MMO, but two things mostly put me off (from beta):

1) the quest system is just so confusing. You have different types of quests, and then different layers and whatever. I felt lost most of the time, and I'm pretty good with that stuff.

2) Why did they make the UI SO HUGE? I know you can make it smaller, but it takes up so much space that you can barely see your character.

What I DID like was the comedy, the colourful graphics and the action combat which is pretty fun.

1) Questing system is a bit confusing right away because of the crazy amount of variety. I got the hang of it pretty quickly but your mileage may vary

2) They redid the UI a long time ago, it's the best MMO UI I've ever seen. What resolution are you playing at? At 1080p it looks great. I play at 1440p and it's even better.

To be honest I didn't play too much of the beta to make an informed review, but I tried the final beta again last month and lost interest in it quickly (maybe I'm burned out on MMOs, or it's just cause I don't have the time to play them?).

I'm playing at 1920x1080. The UI is pretty good, and laid out well...just too big.