Elite Dangerous Time!

#1 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

So I bought into the beta of Elite Dangerous a few days ago right before the standard beta released and I have to say, even though the price was a bit steeper than I wanted to pay this game is amazingly solid and is a hell of a lot of fun to play already.

I know a couple other forum users have got in it but I was curious if many others happened to get into the beta?

I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality of this game, AAA be damned. If you haven't heard of Elite check out this little beta trailer they dropped yesterday, it's damn good stuff.

I have to say right now that Elite is exactly what I am hoping Star Citizen to play like. I have high hopes for them both! Safe travels commanders!

#2 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

Here's a random Let's Play'er

#3 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (4040 posts) -

Ooooh I feel all feint!

#4 Edited by Gladestone1 (5550 posts) -

Picked it up myself..Fly near a sun an watch the flares of the sun truly remarkable..What a great job they are doing so far..The rings of a planet like saturn look incredible..

#5 Edited by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

Gonna be slightly mind-blowing once the entirety of 400 BILLION star systems is implemented. The scale is pretty damn insane already at 55.

#6 Posted by cyloninside (616 posts) -

elite is going to be the better game between it and star citizen.

way too much ambition with star citizen.... never going to accomplish even half of what they are saying.

#7 Edited by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

Cylon, I'm still holding onto hope for Star Citizen, thankfully they still have a lot of time to get it right. They have bitten off something that might not even be possible to chew so I hope they do get at least half of what they promise, lol. xD

I updated SC tonight with their latest alpha and I can see quite a few improvements to the handling, rubberbanding, and the graphics. What gets me is that they've missed some really base elements that should have been in there from the beginning (strafe/slip movements without being "decoupled" for instance).

They're really going to have to address these kinds of small but damn important things for the space flight to feel right in SC, at this point ED is just far ahead of them.

Here's another sweet clip I just saw, the combat in Elite Dangerous feels so nice at this point, good times had by all!

#8 Posted by cyloninside (616 posts) -

@jer_1 said:

Cylon, I really hope you're wrong and I'm still holding out a lot of hope for SC and they still have a lot of time to get it right. They have bitten off something that might not even be possible to chew. I hope they do get at least half of what they promise, lol. xD

I updated SC tonight with their latest beta and I can see quite a few improvements to the handling, rubberbanding, and the graphics. What gets me is that they've missed some really base elements that should have been in there from the beginning (strafe/slip movements without being "decoupled" for instance). They're really going to have to address these kinds of small but damn important things for the space flight to feel right in SC, at this point ED is just far ahead of them.

Here's another sweet combat clip, the combat in Elite Dangerous feels so good at this point, good times!

wait.... are there voice commands in the game? PLEASE SAY YES... BECAUSE FUCK YEAH.

#9 Edited by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

There's a little addon you can get for it called Voice Attack, it's not included in the game though and it does cost mooney. A few people have been saying it's fun to use though.

#10 Posted by skipper847 (3362 posts) -

Will wait for full boxed release. But does look good. Cant wait to use my track IR 5 again hehe.

#11 Edited by naz99 (1408 posts) -

@jer_1 said:

There's a little addon you can get for it called Voice Attack, it's not included in the game though and it does cost mooney. A few people have been saying it's fun to use though.

I have VoiceAttck set up for Star Citizen i have yet to do it with elite but it is a lot of fun to operate your ships systems using just your voice leaving you to fully concentrate on just flying,it is definetly worth the $10 or so i paid for it.

#12 Posted by adamosmaki (9657 posts) -

I'm definitely picking up the game ( after all the gameplay videos of Beta and having play it a couple of hours on a friends house i'm sold ) but after release since 75euros for beta is a bit to much

Btw how is performance when lots of stuff are on screen ?

#13 Edited by pelvist (4877 posts) -

@jer_1 said:

There's a little addon you can get for it called Voice Attack, it's not included in the game though and it does cost mooney. A few people have been saying it's fun to use though.

You can use Pilfius too and its free.

#14 Edited by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

@adamosmaki said:

I'm definitely picking up the game ( after all the gameplay videos of Beta and having play it a couple of hours on a friends house i'm sold ) but after release since 75euros for beta is a bit to much

Btw how is performance when lots of stuff are on screen ?

Admittedly I don't have the average card and I'm unsure of your setup but I generally see no visible slowdown with staggering amounts of objects on screen. I am running an i5-4670 and a R9 280x on 16gb of Ram. The game runs stunningly well and looks awesome to boot.

When I speak of a lot of objects on screen I mean in the middle of a planetary ring amongst millions/billions of rocks/debris. You get an idea of how many in that 3rd vid I linked when he was flying in the middle of it. They manage to get ungodly amounts of objects on the screen and run it buttery smooth, it's very impressive. When you fly out far from that same planet you can literally see billions of those rocks just chilling out there creating the "ring"...

@pelvist said:

You can use Pilfius too and its free.

Thanks for the heads up on this one, I'll check it out tonight! :D

#15 Edited by Byshop (11670 posts) -

@cyloninside said:

elite is going to be the better game between it and star citizen.

way too much ambition with star citizen.... never going to accomplish even half of what they are saying.

It's adorable how you feel compelled to bash Star Citizen in every Elite thread and praise Elite in every Star Citizen thread, even when nobody in those threads was talking about the other game.

@jer_1 I've been digging it since the update. In the Premium Beta I had a hell of a time ever actually making any money, which was annoying. No missions, plus only four cargo units in the default ship made for very slow trade and the game doesn't really give you a lot of direction on how to trade and actually turn a profit. The increased scale is great, but actually having more stuff to do now is better.

-Byshop

#16 Posted by cyloninside (616 posts) -

@Byshop said:

@cyloninside said:

elite is going to be the better game between it and star citizen.

way too much ambition with star citizen.... never going to accomplish even half of what they are saying.

It's adorable how you feel compelled to bash Star Citizen in every Elite thread and praise Elite in every Star Citizen thread, even when nobody in those threads was talking about the other game.

@jer_1 I've been digging it since the update. In the Premium Beta I had a hell of a time ever actually making any money, which was annoying. No missions, plus only four cargo units in the default ship made for very slow trade and the game doesn't really give you a lot of direction on how to trade and actually turn a profit. The increased scale is great, but actually having more stuff to do now is better.

-Byshop

star citizen was mentioned before i even posted in this thread, BY THE OP.

byshop... proving reading is hard for internet mads. rage intensifies.

#17 Posted by lawlessx (46781 posts) -

@cyloninside said:

@Byshop said:

@cyloninside said:

elite is going to be the better game between it and star citizen.

way too much ambition with star citizen.... never going to accomplish even half of what they are saying.

It's adorable how you feel compelled to bash Star Citizen in every Elite thread and praise Elite in every Star Citizen thread, even when nobody in those threads was talking about the other game.

@jer_1 I've been digging it since the update. In the Premium Beta I had a hell of a time ever actually making any money, which was annoying. No missions, plus only four cargo units in the default ship made for very slow trade and the game doesn't really give you a lot of direction on how to trade and actually turn a profit. The increased scale is great, but actually having more stuff to do now is better.

-Byshop

star citizen was mentioned before i even posted in this thread, BY THE OP.

byshop... proving reading is hard for internet mads. rage intensifies.

You might wanna reread his post before you explode

#18 Edited by Tigarian (213 posts) -

Definitely looking forward to E:D, but I'm still going to wait for the full release. The idea of spending extra for early access is so wrong.

#19 Edited by Doozie78 (351 posts) -

@Tigarian said:

Definitely looking forward to E:D, but I'm still going to wait for the full release. The idea of spending extra for early access is so wrong.

I agree with you on the pricing structure but I can understand why they did it. They really need as many highly dedicated alpha/beta testers in there as possible and as little "chaf" as possible. It makes sense why they did it, but I'm not a fan of the tactic.

From the hours I've got out of it so far it seems to be worth the price of entry. Now they just really need to get some more interesting/complex missions and some of the other up-and-coming features (BRING ME MINING!) and I'll be ever so pleased. :D

Good times!

#20 Posted by skipper847 (3362 posts) -

Don't forget to buy the patch pass as well. :P

#21 Posted by Gladestone1 (5550 posts) -

Lets see mining is next..Graphics improvement is coming..Been a alpha tester for a few months now..This game was fun back than an its improved over the last year..The missions are fun they just added..Grouping with friends was just added as well..50 planets now an they all look incredible..The map system has been reworked an loving it so far..The reason u went the full 300 bucks was for the free life time expansions..Plus the life time credit if my ship blows up half off..You get to also try the new zones out in beta before every one else..My whole clan is playing the game..Well most of them..All having a blast..Most of us are star citizen fans..Where playing this till sc is finished..We loving this already though..

#22 Posted by Byshop (11670 posts) -

@jer_1: It's hard to compare ED and SC fairly because they are obviously at such different stages of their development. I like the graphics and flight control style better in SC so far, but to be fair to ED I've only flown the Sidewinder which sucks. Space combat is much more methodical and strategic in ED, and of course it's the game that holds attention longer at this point because there's so much more to do. It's nice to actually be able to make some money, finally. I'll put more time into it this weekend, but I also just today got my muliplayer alpha invite for Star Citizen so I'll have to put some time in on that as well.

-Byshop

#23 Edited by Gladestone1 (5550 posts) -

Byshop if you dont have a group let me know more than welcome to chill with us..In elite..