Elite: Dangerous+Oculus Rift = Ultra-hype

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Reaper4278 (338 posts) -

Below is an excerpt from this article at PC Gamer, yes I am hyped up for this experience.

------------------------------------------------------------

.....and this is just when you’re playing normally. Elite: Dangerous has full Oculus Rift support, and strapping on the VR headset elevates it to a whole new level. I’ve played a lot of Rift games, but this is easily the best in terms of feeling like you’re actually in the game.

The cockpit is a fully realised 3D space. Functional holographic HUDs project from your dashboard, you can see your body if you look down and, beyond the top and side windows, the blackness of space. It’s a remarkable sensation. The feeling of pushing on the stick and your heavy ship lurching forward as its thrusters fire is totally convincing, which makes weaving through an asteroid field and watching the huge rocks hurtle past an exhilarating experience.

Then you run into an enemy ship. After a long, hard dogfight, I feel exhausted. I take the Rift off, slump back in my chair and announce to the office: “That... was amazing.” As the music blares, your lasers sizzle and enemy ships whizz over your head, it evokes that same feeling you get while watching the Death Star assault in A New Hope, except you’re there.

#2 Posted by Branmuffin316 (1200 posts) -

The link you posted is the gs homepage

#3 Posted by Reaper4278 (338 posts) -
@Branmuffin316 said:

The link you posted is the gs homepage

What the...? lol. Not sure how that happened.

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/elite-dangerous-hands-on/

#4 Posted by airshocker (29876 posts) -

It's definitely going to be a solid game but I'm far more excited for Star Citizen.

#5 Posted by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

@airshocker said:

It's definitely going to be a solid game but I'm far more excited for Star Citizen.

Me too, but Elite was made with Oculus in mind to make you feel like you are in the cockpit. I wonder if SC is going to have the same immersion.

#6 Posted by Cloud_imperium (3654 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

@airshocker said:

Me too, but Elite was made with Oculus in mind to make you feel like you are in the cockpit. I wonder if SC is going to have the same immersion.

Star Citizen also supports both Oculus Rift and Track IR . Rift support is now available in Hangar Module as well , after recent update .

I am more excited about Star Citizen but also patiently looking forward to full release of Elite Dangerous .

#7 Posted by Gladestone1 (5550 posts) -

Same im more looking forward to star citizen..How ever i did pledge elite dangerous also..Yes or is also available on star citizen

#8 Posted by rogueace127 (668 posts) -

Star Citizen will probably be the bigger game in terms of size, content, and scope, but as far as immersion goes, it's got a pretty high bar to clear on the heels of Elite Dangerous. Plus they haven't even shown any gameplay for SC either.