Elite Dangerous Alpha 4 - Map Size + Hyperspace

#1 Edited by Wasdie (49745 posts) -

Ohhh myyy.

Looks excellent. Can't wait to sink my teeth into this one.

#2 Posted by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Can't wait for the full release.

@Wasdie Are you playing the Alpha?

#3 Edited by Byshop (11321 posts) -

I have chastized people for flipping out about overpriced early access because they're not under any obligation to spend the money, but I have to say that I'm tempted on this one. I've got my cockpit, my HOTAS, a trackIR and a three 27" monitor Eyefinity setup.

I have to admit, I'm chomping at the bit on this one. I doubt it'll be Star Citizen, but I love -any- game of this kind (with X Rebirth being the exception that proves the rule). Privateer was one of my all time favs, and even before that Space Rogue was so cool because you could even get out of your ship and walk around.

-Byshop

#4 Posted by remiks00 (1799 posts) -

"Better with Kinect" :P

Looks great!

#5 Edited by Byshop (11321 posts) -

@Wasdie: Okay, so I broke down and bought it. :P

-Byshop

#6 Posted by kraken2109 (13027 posts) -

No idea what this is but it looks pretty

#7 Edited by cyloninside (496 posts) -

looks better than the shit that is star citizen, that is for sure.

#8 Posted by Byshop (11321 posts) -

How exactly?

-Byshop

#9 Posted by cyloninside (496 posts) -

@Byshop said:

@cyloninside said:

How exactly?

-Byshop

dont really feel the need to explain myself on this forum *shrugs*.

there are only two kinds of people that post here anymore, fanboys and trolls. neither cares about what the other thinks so it doesnt really matter why anyone has an opinion about anything.

from the videos that i have seen (which is pretty much all of them) Elite Dangerous looks like it is developing into an awesome game, while Star Citizen looks like it is being developed by monkeys that have figured out how to con people into giving them money for a "promise". if people wanna buy into that then go nuts, its their money.... but i can still they they are mental for doing it.

#10 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19406 posts) -
#11 Posted by airshocker (29359 posts) -

@Byshop said:

@cyloninside said:

How exactly?

-Byshop

Better to not feed that troll.

#12 Edited by cyloninside (496 posts) -

@Byshop said:

@cyloninside said:

How exactly?

-Byshop

or the blind fanboy

#13 Posted by airshocker (29359 posts) -

@airshocker said:

@Byshop said:

@cyloninside said:

How exactly?

-Byshop

or the blind fanboy

Again, I'm not a fanboy. I simply don't critique something that doesn't deserve it. The same can't be said about you.

#14 Posted by cyloninside (496 posts) -
#15 Posted by Byshop (11321 posts) -

there are only two kinds of people that post here anymore, fanboys and trolls. neither cares about what the other thinks so it doesnt really matter why anyone has an opinion about anything.

from the videos that i have seen (which is pretty much all of them) Elite Dangerous looks like it is developing into an awesome game, while Star Citizen looks like it is being developed by monkeys that have figured out how to con people into giving them money for a "promise". if people wanna buy into that then go nuts, its their money.... but i can still they they are mental for doing it.

An opinion expressed without qualifiers is tantamount to trolling. I just shelled out $150 for this game in beta even though based on what I have seen and read to date I think Star Citizen will probably end up being the better game in the long run. Does that sound like something a Star Citizen fanboy would do? Privateer-style games is one of my all time favorite genres of PC game, and there is enough room in my library for as however many I can get my hands on.

@Gelugon_baat:

Yeah, I got that.

Regarding the game, it's interesting so far. One of the things that has gotten me down on the various indie space combat games that have come out lately is presentation. While I'm no graphics whore, it also depends on the type of game. Simulation games are all about immersion through senses, so graphics are far more important to me in a game like this than in most other genres. Strike Suit Zero ruined me on a lot of indie space combat sims because of it's terrific graphics and tight, fast paced action. After playing through that game twice, it's hard to go back to something like Evochron Mercenary (although the complexity of Evochron is awesome). Elite, even in it's current Alpha state, looks far more polished than a lot of indie titles that have been RTM for years.

I never played the original Elite. I was 8 when the first Elite was released and by the time I had heard about it, Space Rogue from Origin had been released. At the time, any game purchase was a major investment that involved weeks if not months of financial planning (since I was 13) and I opted for Space Rogue since it had a narrative and I was (and still am) big on story.

The ship controls like a fighter jet, almost. Yaw is slugging and turns you about as fast as a rudder on a plane would. Maneuvering is accomplished by rolling till your target is above you and then banking "up" to bring him/her into your reticle. Attitude adjustment speeds, from fastest to slowest go roll > pitch > yaw.

The alpha has no multiplayer and comes with like 10 mini missions that let you experiment with different elements of gameplay. They can all be finished off pretty quickly, so far (I'm about halfway through).

Eyefinity works, but there's no UI scaling. Running at 7680x1440 causes problems with the menu because it's not scaled, and the cockpit view looks like you chose to sit 10 feet behind where your pilot's seat would normally be. The result is the entire console is hard to read because unlike in some other games, the UI elements in the cockpit are part of the cockpit and hot exclusively HUD elements. Sitting back too far from teh console in teh ship results in the console being hard to read.

I had trouble getting TrackIR to work, but headtracking can work through mouse emulation. It just takes tweaking.

So, is the game worth $150 right now? Hell no, but what game is ever worth $150? The content is light, but I'm waiting for the first real beta content, which comes out around the same time as Star Citizen's DFM.

-Byshop

#16 Edited by cyloninside (496 posts) -

@Byshop said:

@cyloninside said:

An opinion expressed without qualifiers is tantamount to trolling. I just shelled out $150 for this game in beta even though based on what I have seen and read to date I think Star Citizen will probably end up being the better game in the long run. Does that sound like something a Star Citizen fanboy would do? Privateer-style games is one of my all time favorite genres of PC game, and there is enough room in my library for as however many I can get my hands on.

@Gelugon_baat:

Yeah, I got that.

Regarding the game, it's interesting so far. One of the things that has gotten me down on the various indie space combat games that have come out lately is presentation. While I'm no graphics whore, it also depends on the type of game. Simulation games are all about immersion through senses, so graphics are far more important to me in a game like this than in most other genres. Strike Suit Zero ruined me on a lot of indie space combat sims because of it's terrific graphics and tight, fast paced action. After playing through that game twice, it's hard to go back to something like Evochron Mercenary (although the complexity of Evochron is awesome). Elite, even in it's current Alpha state, looks far more polished than a lot of indie titles that have been RTM for years.

I never played the original Elite. I was 8 when the first Elite was released and by the time I had heard about it, Space Rogue from Origin had been released. At the time, any game purchase was a major investment that involved weeks if not months of financial planning (since I was 13) and I opted for Space Rogue since it had a narrative and I was (and still am) big on story.

The ship controls like a fighter jet, almost. Yaw is slugging and turns you about as fast as a rudder on a plane would. Maneuvering is accomplished by rolling till your target is above you and then banking "up" to bring him/her into your reticle. Attitude adjustment speeds, from fastest to slowest go roll > pitch > yaw.

The alpha has no multiplayer and comes with like 10 mini missions that let you experiment with different elements of gameplay. They can all be finished off pretty quickly, so far (I'm about halfway through).

Eyefinity works, but there's no UI scaling. Running at 7680x1440 causes problems with the menu because it's not scaled, and the cockpit view looks like you chose to sit 10 feet behind where your pilot's seat would normally be. The result is the entire console is hard to read because unlike in some other games, the UI elements in the cockpit are part of the cockpit and hot exclusively HUD elements. Sitting back too far from teh console in teh ship results in the console being hard to read.

I had trouble getting TrackIR to work, but headtracking can work through mouse emulation. It just takes tweaking.

So, is the game worth $150 right now? Hell no, but what game is ever worth $150? The content is light, but I'm waiting for the first real beta content, which comes out around the same time as Star Citizen's DFM.

-Byshop

what? lol whatever byshop. you think whatever you want to think, like i said, nobody gives a shit anyhow

Trolling: to make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

an opinion without a reason is none of those things. just because you dont like the opinion, does not mean it was posted with the intent to offend.

infact, an opinion without evidence is quite literally the definition of one possibility for forming an opinion:

Opinion- a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge

forum nerds these days... like i said before, nobody cares what anyone else thinks anyhow so who cares.

#17 Posted by cyloninside (496 posts) -

@cyloninside said:

@airshocker said:

@Byshop said:

@cyloninside said:

How exactly?

-Byshop

or the blind fanboy

Again, I'm not a fanboy. I simply don't critique something that IN MY OPINION doesn't deserve it. The same can't be said about you.

i fixed it for you. your opinion is not the only one that exists.

this whole concept of the world not revolving around you is a new one im sure, but you will get it eventually.

#18 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19406 posts) -

and gelugon is back to forum stalking. surprise surprise.

I am not sure what you hope to achieve by saying that yet again. If you haven't noticed already, nothing has been done about that. I suppose that you are still a paranoid person? ;)

#19 Posted by airshocker (29359 posts) -

i fixed it for you. your opinion is not the only one that exists.

this whole concept of the world not revolving around you is a new one im sure, but you will get it eventually.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has them.

Facts, however, aren't so wishy-washy.

Fact: You are criticizing something that is in its infancy. You have not seen the finished product, nor have you seen parts of the DFM that were on the floor at PAX which showed a much different experience than the DFM premier.

I was at both. I'm in a much better position to tell you you're wrong.

What else is there left to discuss? You're simply a troll.

#21 Posted by Wasdie (49745 posts) -

Why does every god damn thread about either Elite Dangerous or Star Citizen turn into a mud slinging contest?

Nobody here is competing to be the better game. So why the hell do you have to start talking ill about Star Citizen in an Elite Dangerous thread @cyloninside? Is it too difficult for you to just enjoy a game without having to speak ill of another or are you so damn cynical that you can't let another game go?

I would get into the whole argument that you and airshocker have been into but I'll refrain because it's a pointless waste of time.

I'll say this just once. Don't come into a thread about one game, bring up another game, talk shit about that other game, and then leave. This isn't System Wars. That type of behavior isn't just heavily discouraged, it's a punishable offense for disrupting the ability for other people to have a good discussion.

Don't do it again.

#22 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2938 posts) -

Wow , can't wait for full release of this game .

#23 Posted by osan0 (12691 posts) -

looks wonderful. i will be getting it at or soon after its launch.

any news on a linux build?

#24 Posted by Gladestone1 (5520 posts) -

@cyloninside:

Oh you again stop bashing star citizen jees..You sound like a broken record..

Wasdie ya im in alpha myself..Its a learning curve to go into systems isnt it..How ever once you get the hang of it its quit cool..The map an the pu is awesome..Super-cruise makes you act like your in the falcon in star wars )...

#25 Edited by airshocker (29359 posts) -

i fixed it for you again.

what else is there left to discuss? well, the fact that I THINK you are wrong and as much as you like to spout seudo truth and seem to champion hard evidence, IN MY OPINION you have posted nothing in your own defense. seeing the game at PAX does nothing to help your cause IN MY OPINION. i can watch someone playing the gameplay demo that was at PAX, just as well as you can stand there and play it. and i have.

what i just wrote was, admittedly, an extreme form of ensuring that i am just stating opinion but you dont even have a fundamental grasp of what an opinion is, so i felt it was warranted.

Opinion- a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge

there, im helping. as you can see, i dont need facts or knowledge to have an opinion.... i have both, because i have seen every bit of gameplay that you have seen, just in video form, but that doesnt matter now does it?

you just keep acting like your opinion is the only one that exists. as much as you would like to believe, you arent the beacon of truth on these forums. sorry.

Well I can see that I was right on all accounts, else why would you devolve into editing my post instead of countering my point?

#26 Posted by airshocker (29359 posts) -

@Byshop: I'd like to see video of your setup running the DFM, if you ever decide to make one.

#27 Posted by kweeni (10908 posts) -

Was that galaxy the whole map? O_o

Holy shit that looks huge.

Will we be able to walk around in our ships (and space stations) and will we be able to fly larger ships or is this one man ships only? Gotta do some more research on this game....

#28 Edited by naz99 (1296 posts) -

I cant believe people even have a reason to argue about either game....

We have 2 of the original space sim guys giving us new games and they are both doing something different from each other and we get to play the hell out of both and some asshats end up turning it into a Vs contest.. any space sim fans should be happy as F**k that we get to play both and anyone who isn't should just shut the hell up and stop talking opinions with no facts.

Is there a reason we cannot enjoy and play both games?

#29 Edited by Byshop (11321 posts) -

what? lol whatever byshop. you think whatever you want to think, like i said, nobody gives a shit anyhow

Trolling: to make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

an opinion without a reason is none of those things. just because you dont like the opinion, does not mean it was posted with the intent to offend.

infact, an opinion without evidence is quite literally the definition of one possibility for forming an opinion:

forum nerds these days... like i said before, nobody cares what anyone else thinks anyhow so who cares.

Seeing as how this thread wasn't even about Star Citizen and your post was intended just to take a dump on a game that we weren't even talking about and not provide any backup for that opinion, yeah, that's trolling.

Nobody said your opinion had to be backed up by facts, but it should be backed up by reasons. This is a DISCUSSION forum, and if you don't provide at least one reason for your opinion then there's nothing to -discuss-. This is why your post was beyond useless.

-Byshop

#30 Edited by Ballroompirate (22755 posts) -

I'll keep an eye on this game, good find Wasdie.

#31 Edited by Byshop (11321 posts) -

@airshocker: Sure, I'll throw something up for both games. I've also been meaning to do a Strike Suit Zero/Infinity vid to show off how well that game controls with a HOTAS. In the meantime, here's a quick photo of Elite running on the cockpit:

I have a video, but it's of my 2 year old son sitting in the cockpit trying to fly while I encourage/instruct him with no voice (getting over a head cold).

-Byshop

#32 Posted by Byshop (11321 posts) -

Oh, what the hell. :)

-Byshop

#33 Posted by kraken2109 (13027 posts) -

@Byshop said:

Oh, what the hell. :)

-Byshop

lol'd at 0:27

#34 Posted by Byshop (11321 posts) -
#35 Posted by Wasdie (49745 posts) -

@Byshop: Your setup is really slick. I have 3 monitors and an x52 myself but I only have 2x 570s so my vRAM is a massive bottleneck. I also don't have the cool setup you do for the joystick, chair, and monitors.

You're set for the coming games.

#36 Posted by Byshop (11321 posts) -

@Wasdie: Yeah, I've been chomping at the bit waiting for these games.

The Obutto Cockpits are pretty reasonably priced compared to the competition. The cheap ones start around $350.

-Byshop

#37 Edited by Maroxad (8209 posts) -

This game looks really slick. That map is huge, plenty of room to mess around with.

#38 Edited by GarGx1 (2603 posts) -

Elite Dangerous is looking sweet, I've not back it but will be getting it on release, that's guaranteed.

My only worry is that it's too big, with over a billion star systems you'll be able to go for weeks (months?) on end and never meet another real person, hell you may never even meet an NPC. From the father of procedural generations I wouldn't really expect anything less though ;)

#39 Posted by GarGx1 (2603 posts) -

@Byshop said:

@airshocker: Sure, I'll throw something up for both games. I've also been meaning to do a Strike Suit Zero/Infinity vid to show off how well that game controls with a HOTAS. In the meantime, here's a quick photo of Elite running on the cockpit:

I have a video, but it's of my 2 year old son sitting in the cockpit trying to fly while I encourage/instruct him with no voice (getting over a head cold).

-Byshop

Your mouse and keyboard look like they're reversed from the HOTAS setup, or you have 4 arms! ;)

No matter, you've got the weaponry now all you need is the ammunition, enjoy :)

#40 Edited by Jebus213 (8772 posts) -

@Byshop said:

@cyloninside said:

How exactly?

-Byshop

Haven't seen much actual gameplay form star citizen other then dogfighting...

#41 Posted by Byshop (11321 posts) -

@GarGx1: The Obutto R3volution comes with an articulated keyboard/mouse tray that I have installed on the left (you can see part of it to the immediate left of the throttle. That dark green thing on it is the hat that I have my TrackIR clip on). The throttle blocks the keyboard tray, so I move the wireless keyboard over to one of the two optional adjustable acrylic tables and the mouse on the other. The nice thing about this cockpit is how adjustable it is. I can move the throttle to either side, move the stick forward and back, add a shifter, wheel, etc. When I'm using the flightstick, I generally map all the controls to the HOTAS so I don't have to use the keyboard.

-Byshop