EA F*cks up again; MODDING SIMCITY AND OFFLINE PLAY ARE POSSIBLE

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -

So with a little bit of package editing within SimCity thanks to the modding guide posted to Reddit earlier, and a little playing about in the code, it's possible to enable debug mode. I linked the activation to the "Help Center" button in the main menu for ease. Most developer debug features are disabled without having an actual developer's build (they have terraforming tools etc. available in the full developer build!), but a few things do still work - including editing the main highways.

Not only that - but you can edit the highways ANYWHERE - even outside of your city boundary... and even if you quit the game and log back in later, it's all saved safely on the server.

This shows that highway editing will be easily possible, AND that editing outside of the artificially small city boundaries should be very viable too, potentially (since you can place roads and rails that snap anywhere on-screen).

Edit: And yes I also modded out the disconnect timer (can now play "offline" indefinitely - but no saves/syncs or region related stuff, not yet anyway... but the simulation can carry on with no connection indefinitely). And I modded out the "fluffed population count", just shows the real population count now. Both very minor/easy tweaks.

http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/1a9n5j/you_can_edit_highways_outside_of_city_boundaries/

http://kotaku.com/5990498/rumor-a-new-video-shows-simcitys-debug-mode-which-allegedly-has-almost-unlimited-offline-play

#2 Posted by MythPro1 (2746 posts) -
Yep, can even set it to allow you to build outside the boundaries. Only roads though I think.
#3 Posted by MBirdy88 (8229 posts) -
Did you and the bandwagon ever stop to think that "Not possible" meant "not possible for our business model"? anyone with any damn knowledge whatsoever knew it was possible from a development stand point. A bandwagon stop and think? :lol: I guess I'm not thinking too there. silly me.
#4 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -
[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Did you and the bandwagon ever stop to think that "Not possible" meant "not possible for our business model"? anyone with any damn knowledge whatsoever knew it was possible from a development stand point. A bandwagon stop and think? :lol: I guess I'm not thinking too there. silly me.

Well you definitely don't seem like a condescending douchebag, and I'm sure you're a real great guy to hang out with. It wasn't obvious, considering them repeatedly telling the community that "we're moving lots of stuff server side, so it won't be possible at all to make it playable offline". Did you ever stop and think that maybe nobody gives a sh*t about what you believe was an obvious truth? Oh, silly me. I suppose you never considered that. :lol:
#5 Posted by MythPro1 (2746 posts) -

Did you and the bandwagon ever stop to think that "Not possible" meant "not possible for our business model"? anyone with any damn knowledge whatsoever knew it was possible from a development stand point. A bandwagon stop and think? :lol: I guess I'm not thinking too there. silly me.MBirdy88

This speaks more to the point of what Maxis studio head, Lucy Bradshaw, has said repeatedly, that the game "offload(s) a significant amount of the calculations to our servers," and that it would take "a significant amount of engineering work from our team to rewrite the game" for single player.

Did you stop and think?

#6 Posted by Flubbbs (3093 posts) -

ive never pirated a game but EA deserves everything coming their way

#7 Posted by Travis_Odell (1701 posts) -
EA is the antichrist let them burn baby burn in hell!
#8 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2581 posts) -

This is great news. once made fully offline i will purchase. big smile on my face. simcity here i (might) come

#9 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -

Should had offline play in the 1st place...

#10 Posted by Elann2008 (32988 posts) -

This is great news. once made fully offline i will purchase. big smile on my face. simcity here i (might) come

_SKatEDiRt_

Should had offline play in the 1st place...

mitu123
Yup. Until that day, and it will be on a very big sale.
#11 Posted by FelipeInside (25584 posts) -
I'm gonna be the Devil's Advocate for a second here. What is the big issue everyone has with the Online thing? Most gamers here use Steam, so they need the Internet anyway don't they? I understand frustration about the actual way the game works and what they promised, and hopefully they will fix that. But unless u want to play this on a laptop on a train, I don't see why everyone makes a big fuss since obviously everyone here has the net.
#12 Posted by Twisted14 (3497 posts) -

Because the fact that it requires a constant internet connection has broken the game for heaps of people. If it simply had an offline mode, none of this would be a problem. Heaps of people going days without being able to play a game that they just paid full price for because EA's servers couldn't handle it. There is no option to play the game in any other way.

This is something that didn't need to be an issue. It's a single player game, it doesn't need to be connected to the internet at all times.

Also it has nothing to do with portability. What about people who don't always have an internet connection or have a crappy internet connection that drops out a lot? What about when EA's servers go down? Like they did.

#13 Posted by FelipeInside (25584 posts) -

Because the fact that it requires a constant internet connection has broken the game for heaps of people. If it simply had an offline mode, none of this would be a problem. Heaps of people going days without being able to play a game that they just paid full price for because EA's servers couldn't handle it. There is no option to play the game in any other way. This is something that didn't need to be an issue. It's a single player game, it doesn't need to be connected to the internet at all times.Twisted14

Fair enough about the launch week, but once the bugs are ironed out what's the issue? Same thing happened to Diablo3, then after a week or so everyone could log in and play. It's not a SP either if ur playing in a region with other player's cities.

Don't get me wrong, I've said before they should have separated each section into SP (offline) and MP (online).

EDIT:  if ur internet is unstable it allows u to save in sections. If the servers go down for mainteance is the same case as an MMO.

#14 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

I'm gonna be the Devil's Advocate for a second here. What is the big issue everyone has with the Online thing? Most gamers here use Steam, so they need the Internet anyway don't they? I understand frustration about the actual way the game works and what they promised, and hopefully they will fix that. But unless u want to play this on a laptop on a train, I don't see why everyone makes a big fuss since obviously everyone here has the net.FelipeInside

Well for one, you don't need constant internet for Steam. Offline mode works perfectly fine, and there's nothing stopping you from playing any games that don't have their own online requirement.

And as for Sim City, the big deal is that the game clearly doesn't need the servers. With Diablo 3, the game actually is streaming essential computations which are being done server-side (what EA had claimed Sim City was doing). So, even if you don't agree that Diablo 3 should be an always online, social experience (I certainly don't), the fact remains that the game is actually built for the servers. That's why no has been able mod it to have an offline mode, and the handful of "cracked" copies on torrent sites are built from the beta/demo, and are missing about 80-85% of the game. As suggested by an "anonymous source" to RPG, and confirmed by the existence of these mods, Sim City isn't like that. The servers handle nothing but social aspects, and the entire game, complete and functioning, is actually installed on the system, and doesn't need to be connected for you to play by yourself. This proves that EA was straight up lying through their teeth about it, trying to cover the fact that it's just an arbitrary DRM, forced onto everyone. 

#15 Posted by FelipeInside (25584 posts) -

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I'm gonna be the Devil's Advocate for a second here. What is the big issue everyone has with the Online thing? Most gamers here use Steam, so they need the Internet anyway don't they? I understand frustration about the actual way the game works and what they promised, and hopefully they will fix that. But unless u want to play this on a laptop on a train, I don't see why everyone makes a big fuss since obviously everyone here has the net.the_bi99man

Well for one, you don't need constant internet for Steam. Offline mode works perfectly fine, and there's nothing stopping you from playing any games that don't have their own online requirement.

And as for Sim City, the big deal is that the game clearly doesn't need the servers. With Diablo 3, the game actually is streaming essential computations which are being done server-side (what EA had claimed Sim City was doing). So, even if you don't agree that Diablo 3 should be an always online, social experience (I certainly don't), the fact remains that the game is actually built for the servers. That's why no has been able mod it to have an offline mode, and the handful of "cracked" copies on torrent sites are built from the beta/demo, and are missing about 80-85% of the game. As suggested by an "anonymous source" to RPG, and confirmed by the existence of these mods, Sim City isn't like that. The servers handle nothing but social aspects, and the entire game, complete and functioning, is actually installed on the system, and doesn't need to be connected for you to play by yourself. This proves that EA was straight up lying through their teeth about it, trying to cover the fact that it's just an arbitrary DRM, forced onto everyone. 

Ok. So basically everyone is more mad/frustrated about Maxis lying rather than have to be connected to the Internet??? That's fair enough I guess. Now, even if Sim City DOES/CAN work offline (as the simulation), surely the social aspect (creating a city alongside friends) CAN'T work offline, correct? Which basically is what Sim City 2013 is more about. That's why each city has a border limit and is smaller compared to older versions.
#16 Posted by biggest_loser (24054 posts) -
People are getting very excited about this. But aren't we forgetting that the game was designed around multiplayer? Like they built the game for social, online stuff meaning that cities share resources. Now you'd have to manage multiple ones and stuff since the cities individually are a lot smaller.
#17 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I'm gonna be the Devil's Advocate for a second here. What is the big issue everyone has with the Online thing? Most gamers here use Steam, so they need the Internet anyway don't they? I understand frustration about the actual way the game works and what they promised, and hopefully they will fix that. But unless u want to play this on a laptop on a train, I don't see why everyone makes a big fuss since obviously everyone here has the net.FelipeInside

Ok. So basically everyone is more mad/frustrated about Maxis lying rather than have to be connected to the Internet??? That's fair enough I guess. Now, even if Sim City DOES/CAN work offline (as the simulation), surely the social aspect (creating a city alongside friends) CAN'T work offline, correct? Which basically is what Sim City 2013 is more about. That's why each city has a border limit and is smaller compared to older versions.

Yeah, obviously the MP aspect don't work offline. And yeah, they deliberately hobbled the size and abilities of any single city, to try to force people to work with their neighbors (another aspect that's been ridiculed by reviewers, because it can completely ruin the game if your neighbors are trolls). But either way, that same modder who figured out how to make it work offline also found that editing outside the tiny city boundaries is also possible, and he even found terraforming tools (which all previous sim city games have had) hidden away somewhere. I wouldn't be at all surprised if EA plans to unlock the terraforming tools, for an extra fee, and call it some kind of DLC. Regardless, this means that before too long it will likely be possible to mod the game to allow you to play offline, terraform the areas, and make your city as big as you want (the way the game should have been in the first place).

#18 Posted by FelipeInside (25584 posts) -

^^ Oh, of course.

It's mostly Maxis remember more than EA. The same guys that do The Sims so expect lots of DLC to come along. There is already two available, one called "French Connection" or something which lets you create French Buildings.

My point all along was that Sim City 2013 was built for MP, or more so Social Play (a la Cityville). I've heard it's great fun with friends when it works properly. Hopefully in a month's time Maxis has fixed the issues and the game becomes what it was meant to be.

IMAGINE if Sim City would have looked like THIS

#19 Posted by Elann2008 (32988 posts) -

People are getting very excited about this. But aren't we forgetting that the game was designed around multiplayer? Like they built the game for social, online stuff meaning that cities share resources. Now you'd have to manage multiple ones and stuff since the cities individually are a lot smaller. biggest_loser
That's true. The reason it's not offline is because the game's design. So maybe what people here are asking is for another SimCity game not designed for online only.

#20 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2581 posts) -

[QUOTE="Twisted14"]Because the fact that it requires a constant internet connection has broken the game for heaps of people. If it simply had an offline mode, none of this would be a problem. Heaps of people going days without being able to play a game that they just paid full price for because EA's servers couldn't handle it. There is no option to play the game in any other way. This is something that didn't need to be an issue. It's a single player game, it doesn't need to be connected to the internet at all times.FelipeInside

Fair enough about the launch week, but once the bugs are ironed out what's the issue? Same thing happened to Diablo3, then after a week or so everyone could log in and play. It's not a SP either if ur playing in a region with other player's cities.

Don't get me wrong, I've said before they should have separated each section into SP (offline) and MP (online).

EDIT:  if ur internet is unstable it allows u to save in sections. If the servers go down for mainteance is the same case as an MMO.

its like getting my mom to try and play thru crysis. simcity people arent here to play mmo we are here to play simcity single player OFFLINE. if we wanted an mmo wed go play a mmo. which i guess is what its turned into. but seriously think. what if roller coaster tycoon required a constant internet connection. you see what im getting at?

#21 Posted by -wildflower- (2863 posts) -

I'm gonna be the Devil's Advocate for a second here. What is the big issue everyone has with the Online thing? Most gamers here use Steam, so they need the Internet anyway don't they? I understand frustration about the actual way the game works and what they promised, and hopefully they will fix that. But unless u want to play this on a laptop on a train, I don't see why everyone makes a big fuss since obviously everyone here has the net.FelipeInside

This article from Rock, Paper, Shotgun pretty much sums up my feelings regarding always on-line DRM and why I don't/won't buy games infected with it.

#22 Posted by FelipeInside (25584 posts) -

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="Twisted14"]Because the fact that it requires a constant internet connection has broken the game for heaps of people. If it simply had an offline mode, none of this would be a problem. Heaps of people going days without being able to play a game that they just paid full price for because EA's servers couldn't handle it. There is no option to play the game in any other way. This is something that didn't need to be an issue. It's a single player game, it doesn't need to be connected to the internet at all times._SKatEDiRt_

its like getting my mom to try and play thru crysis. simcity people arent here to play mmo we are here to play simcity single player OFFLINE. if we wanted an mmo wed go play a mmo. which i guess is what its turned into. but seriously think. what if roller coaster tycoon required a constant internet connection. you see what im getting at?

I think you are mistaken on the SimCity Community and player base. Yes, there are people like you who want to play SimCity by themselves, which is totally fine, but there are a LOT of ex-Sim City players that went to Cityville and the likes and experienced playing a City Sim "SOCIALLY". That's why Maxis decided to go MP with this version. Like I said, they maybe should have done it better or differently, but that's the way they decided to create the game. Roller Coaster could also play MP. You create a park and then ur friends get to test it out.
#23 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -
[QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

FelipeInside

I think you are mistaken on the SimCity Community and player base. Yes, there are people like you who want to play SimCity by themselves, which is totally fine, but there are a LOT of ex-Sim City players that went to Cityville and the likes and experienced playing a City Sim "SOCIALLY". That's why Maxis decided to go MP with this version. Like I said, they maybe should have done it better or differently, but that's the way they decided to create the game. Roller Coaster could also play MP. You create a park and then ur friends get to test it out.

Look, I have no problem with online. But they ELIMINATED the option of even having an offline mode, which to me was a huge mistake. They've also sacrificed a huge amount of what made Simcity, simcity...the large map sizes are a perfect example of that. Give me a few hours and I can't make or zone ANY more room...because there just isn't any. Just a mistake with the game design, again, in my opinion.
#24 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

People are getting very excited about this. But aren't we forgetting that the game was designed around multiplayer? Like they built the game for social, online stuff meaning that cities share resources. Now you'd have to manage multiple ones and stuff since the cities individually are a lot smaller. biggest_loser

Exactly, and that's where it falls flat on its face.

People who defend the game seem to keep forgetting that aspect due to all the hate towards the Day 1 server crisis. This game was built around multiplayer and social cooperation with other players and it REALLY shows in the design which will kill it pretty hard for those who are single player heavy gamers and considering Sim City was never really big on multiplayer to begin with...?

Yeah...

#25 Posted by wis3boi (31379 posts) -

The game underneath the servers and DRM is still shallow, boring, and broken

#26 Posted by FelipeInside (25584 posts) -
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

chrisrooR

Look, I have no problem with online. But they ELIMINATED the option of even having an offline mode, which to me was a huge mistake. They've also sacrificed a huge amount of what made Simcity, simcity...the large map sizes are a perfect example of that. Give me a few hours and I can't make or zone ANY more room...because there just isn't any. Just a mistake with the game design, again, in my opinion.

Yes, apart from the online thing there seems to be a few issues with the game. The Map should be a bit bigger, but gamers playing it tell me it's more about unlocking bigger buildings than expanding the land size???
#27 Posted by wis3boi (31379 posts) -

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I think you are mistaken on the SimCity Community and player base. Yes, there are people like you who want to play SimCity by themselves, which is totally fine, but there are a LOT of ex-Sim City players that went to Cityville and the likes and experienced playing a City Sim "SOCIALLY". That's why Maxis decided to go MP with this version. Like I said, they maybe should have done it better or differently, but that's the way they decided to create the game. Roller Coaster could also play MP. You create a park and then ur friends get to test it out.FelipeInside

Yes, apart from the online thing there seems to be a few issues with the game. The Map should be a bit bigger, but gamers playing it tell me it's more about unlocking bigger buildings than expanding the land size???

It has far more than "a few issues"

- sims will just drive or walk in circles until they find jobs/homes. The path finding is garbage

Got a fire? Too bad, must obey traffic laws to burn the rest of the city

BlhzuRTh.jpg

vqRVJpgh.jpg

- industry and commercial zoning is useless.  You can look up time lapse videos of cities that are nothing but housing and they grow to dense urban cities and make $15k+ an hour.

- playing online with other people mneas others can destroy/troll your city.

among other things.  I leave you with the de-evolution of sim city after SC4

KIvE25T.jpg

#28 Posted by FelipeInside (25584 posts) -
^^ Don't worry. Sim City 2013 will look just like that after a few DLCs... ;)
#29 Posted by monstersarehere (2 posts) -
The problem is that no matter what they claim, a lot of people cannot shake off the feeling that always-online was done purely for the DRM and the rest are just excuses to use it. In other words, first came the decision for always online and then what they could use it for. I really hope gaming will not go down that path.
#30 Posted by crippledmachine (264 posts) -

EA deserve anything coming their way. People pirating and modding the game is probably good for the health of the industry; we don't want to see games with always-on DRM again.

#31 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5896 posts) -

Online-only DRM is pretty poor currently as it shows that many companies cannot handle launches. Diablo 3 wasn't playable for the first day or two and now Sim City wasn't playable for the whole first week and I hear there are still features that are still inactive due to server constraints.

I think what makes Sim City's online DRM worse is that Sim City was never founded on a multiplayer component. There are many great single player games that developers have forcibly injected derivative multiplayer modes. Sim City is another example of this and really I think GS's Feedbackula summed it up there in the last few minutes of the video.