Dynamic Super Resolution Technology

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jr14
Member since 2004 • 2148 Posts

I get the idea behind it. You have a 1080p monitor and the graphics card upscales it to 4k then downscales it back to 1080p. Wouldn't that pretty much be the same thing as scaling it to 1080p to begin with and is it even possible to get a better resolution that what the max is the monitor is supposed to be able to produce?

OmegaTau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 OmegaTau
Member since 2007 • 908 Posts

in a nutshell it's a clever way to smooth out jaggies

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jr14
Member since 2004 • 2148 Posts

@OmegaTau: better than aa?

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@Jr14 said:

@OmegaTau: better than aa?

Yes it is similar to super sampling which takes an image renders it at a higher resolution it takes multiple color reading from each pixel rather than a single one as normal then down scales it back to native resolution and uses the extra pixel information to accurately apply AA but that is very costly performance wise, With DSR it simply renders at a higher resolution then shrinks the image to fit on a 1080p screen it does not downscale it again DSR should offer better picture quality from AA as it does not have to worry about common anti aliasing artifacts or engine compatibility problems with AA for example GTA 4 and Unreal engine 3 games.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#5 BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

There is no substitute for rendering at native 1440p or 2160p. DSR does not add more detail to the image, but it does cut down on aliasing. However, it has motion blur/ghosting issues and adds input lag. DSR is garbage and you should avoid it.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

It doesn't upscale it to 4k. It's rendered 4k natively and "down scaled" (down sampled) to 1080p

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@BassMan said:

There is no substitute for rendering at native 1440p or 2160p. DSR does not add more detail to the image, but it does cut down on aliasing. However, it has motion blur/ghosting issues and adds input lag. DSR is garbage and you should avoid it.

Been using DSR for the majority of games and have observed absolutely no motion blur, ghosting, or input lag. In fact, it's one of my favorite feature that NVIDIA recently added. Playing games at 2x resolution using DSR with 4x MSAA looks beautiful. I've read comments from tons of people who use the feature for most of their games as well and haven't observed any issues.

To the OP, it basically just eliminates jaggies and shimmering, which is basically the same thing as playing games at a higher resolution. It's not the same, but the effect is.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

I have used dsr on quite a few games, and YES, it DOES add details and eliminate jaggies.

If you have the horsepower to use it, you should be. If you don't, then you shouldn't. But don't let the naysayers persuade you. DSR is a really cool tech in some instances.

I have 2 970's in sli, and was on a 1080/60 monitor (I just recently upgraded to a Rog Swift! Yay for me!). While I had so much more power than 1080/60 needs, I ran dsr on quite a few games and I can tell you that you DO get a MUCH better picture quality on it. Textures/details/aliasing are all effected.

Don't trust me? Tom's Hardware did an in depth article and claim the same as I am in this post. It makes a great difference if you have the horsepower to smash in your monitor's current res. It's not for everbody (A higher resolution monitor would look better, of course) but in some scenarios its a great addition.

Especially with older games where you can run 4k easy @60hz (L4D for example), the difference is quite large. If I had to describe it it one sentence...it's the cleanest picture you can get.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KHAndAnime

@demi0227_basic said:

I have used dsr on quite a few games, and YES, it DOES add details and eliminate jaggies.

If you have the horsepower to use it, you should be. If you don't, then you shouldn't. But don't let the naysayers persuade you. DSR is a really cool tech in some instances.

I have 2 970's in sli, and was on a 1080/60 monitor (I just recently upgraded to a Rog Swift! Yay for me!). While I had so much more power than 1080/60 needs, I ran dsr on quite a few games and I can tell you that you DO get a MUCH better picture quality on it. Textures/details/aliasing are all effected.

Don't trust me? Tom's Hardware did an in depth article and claim the same as I am in this post. It makes a great difference if you have the horsepower to smash in your monitor's current res. It's not for everbody (A higher resolution monitor would look better, of course) but in some scenarios its a great addition.

Especially with older games where you can run 4k easy @60hz (L4D for example), the difference is quite large. If I had to describe it it one sentence...it's the cleanest picture you can get.

Indeed. And I'm going to go ahead and say a higher resolution monitor looking better would be debatable in many circumstances. Picking a monitor or display device based on resolution doesn't automatically make it better. For example, I'd take a 1080P Plasma with DSR over any 1440P TN any day of the week. A boost in sharpness is negligible compared to color accuracy, vibrancy, contrast, black levels, viewing angles, etc. People are so hung up on resolution these days, they forget there are other elements of picture quality that are more important if you're seeking a life-like picture.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@demi0227_basic said:

Indeed. And I'm going to go ahead and say a higher resolution monitor looking better would be debatable in many circumstances. Picking a monitor or display device based on resolution doesn't automatically make it better. For example, I'd take a 1080P Plasma with DSR over any 1440P TN any day of the week. A boost in sharpness is negligible compared to color accuracy, vibrancy, contrast, black levels, viewing angles, etc. People are so hung up on resolution these days, they forget there are other elements of picture quality that are more important if you're seeking a life-like picture.

I agree with just about everything you said. Save for TN...it's really up to the monitor. My Swift Rog is tn, but the color is much better than my previous ips. Viewing angles on a monitor on my desk don't matter because it's right in my face anyway, but yes, I agree that resolution is not the biggest factor in image quality. That's for sure. I'd take 120hz of any resolution over 4k at this point.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

I wonder if they'll ever fix it for SLI...

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KHAndAnime

@klunt_bumskrint said:

I wonder if they'll ever fix it for SLI...

I heard it supports SLI, just not SLI+G-Sync.

@demi0227_basic said:

I agree with just about everything you said. Save for TN...it's really up to the monitor. My Swift Rog is tn, but the color is much better than my previous ips. Viewing angles on a monitor on my desk don't matter because it's right in my face anyway, but yes, I agree that resolution is not the biggest factor in image quality. That's for sure. I'd take 120hz of any resolution over 4k at this point.

Swift ROG is a good TN panel, no doubt, much better than most. But still, in the grand scheme of things, while Tftcentral shows it has pretty good stats out of the box, it has not as good as stats as a 1200p Dell IPS monitor for 1/3 the price except for when refresh rate is concerned. That's why I can make that generalization about TN panels. And the Dell IPS monitor is a far cry from the IQ presented from a good Plasma TV set. If I spent the majority of my time gaming on my PC at 100+ FPS, I'd personally pick up the Swift. But for me, I spend the majority of my time on my PC browsing the internet, watching TV+movies, and playing games at ~60 FPS (because prefer better graphics to really high refresh rates). So that's basically why I'd rather pick an IPS or 1080P Plasma over 1440P TN.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that for someone who's concerned about how good the picture looks more than the resolution, smoothness of motion, or other stats, DSR essentially eliminates the advantage 1440P monitors offer for games in terms of IQ. Unless of course the PPI on your 1080P is so low and you sit so close that you can actually see each individual pixel. All the extra resolution does is add definition, and if your image isn't lacking in definition, it's not really adding anything.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f768591970d3
deactivated-5f768591970d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5f768591970d3
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts

As the above said. It works for SLI, just not SLI+Gsync. This happens to be my setup unfortunately!

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

Yah issues with AV Recvers as well. Need to roll back a couple of drivers for DSR to work connected from receiver to TV

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@KHAndAnime: Turned off G-Sync and still no option :(

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#17  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

DSR is a nice tool to have around incase you can't get results with AA, but my 970gtx struggles in most games doing 4k upscaling so its kinda a thing i expect i'll use more in the future when more powerful gpu cards come out.

AA is still the best thing to use i find since it has the least peformance hit. Also the image is crisper i find just running at native res, its somewhat blurred a bit when you use 4k then scaling all the way down to 1080p.

i think DSR is a brute force way to get a full supersampling look if you can't force SS in a game. Even SS seems to have less performance hit for me then DSR. Also nice for screenshots since they are all in 4k res.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KHAndAnime

@Old_Gooseberry said:

DSR is a nice tool to have around incase you can't get results with AA, but my 970gtx struggles in most games doing 4k upscaling so its kinda a thing i expect i'll use more in the future when more powerful gpu cards come out.

AA is still the best thing to use i find since it has the least peformance hit. Also the image is crisper i find just running at native res, its somewhat blurred a bit when you use 4k then scaling all the way down to 1080p.

i think DSR is a brute force way to get a full supersampling look if you can't force SS in a game. Even SS seems to have less performance hit for me then DSR. Also nice for screenshots since they are all in 4k res.

You don't have to have it turned up all the way to 4k to get a very clean image with DSR. The performance hit for slightly older games isn't that bad if you just set it to 2x or 1.5x. I use it in DayZ for example and it actually runs and looks better than 8x AA in that game.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

I can get this feature on my monitor with DSR off. My monitor already has the option for 3820x2160, haven't tried it yet. But I figure its the same as it was when I tried DSR on my 1080p monitor.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

I need a better monitor

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

So I finally tried this last night on Bad Company 2, and I wasn't at all impressed. 2560x1440 looked blurry because it isn't an integer multiple of 1920x1080. 4k didn't look blurry but to be honest didn't look any better than 1080p and the performance was down a good 60%.

Shatilov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 Shatilov
Member since 2005 • 4150 Posts

Ive been reading about this alot recently, but how do u use it ?

id_mew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 id_mew
Member since 2007 • 608 Posts

If I have a 1440p monitor, is there any advantage of using DSR?

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

@Shatilov:

Open Nvidia control panel.

Go to Manage 3D settings.

In Global settings there are two options:

"DSR Factors" and "DSR Smoothness".

Change DSR Factors to 4x native for 1080p monitors in order to unlock 4K DSR.

Go to a game and in the video settings change the resolution to the new 3840x2160.

:)

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

@id_mew said:

If I have a 1440p monitor, is there any advantage of using DSR?

If i get time soon, I'll try it out. I know I don't need DSR as I mentioned to get the 4k thing to happen. But I've yet to test it. Still been drooling over 1440p lol.
I went from a 3 monitor set up (5760x1080) to this.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

VSR is better, not as blurry. AMD as usual, enabling today, inspiring tomorrow.

No driver release in 2+ months tho.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KHAndAnime

@Coseniath said:

@Shatilov:

Go to a game and in the video settings change the resolution to the new 3840x2160.

DSR looks best with smoothness at 25% or less, gets rid of the blur effect ;)

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts
@KHAndAnime said:

@Coseniath said:

@Shatilov:

DSR looks best with smoothness at 25% or less, gets rid of the blur effect ;)

Yeap, other reviewers even suggest 15%...