Dynamic super resolution

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts

OK as we all know Maxwell has just released and I'm trying REALLY hard to determine if I want to upgrade my current rigs GPU "EVGA GTX 560 TI" and I realize that the main sell point of the new Maxwell GPUs are the Dynamic super resolution. Well personally I don't know what the big deal is about this technology is because I have gotten to see it first hand earlier on today and noticed little to no difference with a huge FPS loss.

My buddies rig had Dark Souls 2 loaded up on it and he just got his hands on the GTX 980 and we tested this so called technology with FPS comparisons and here were out results. As you all may know the game is frame locked at 30 FPS and with the GPU he replaced "GTX 780 TI" it NEVER dipped below 30 but with dynamic super resolution it seemed to play around the 27-29 FPS rate never truly hitting 30 and thats kinda upsetting seeing that with DSR on vs DSR off seemed to have absolutely no effect in visual detail besides making it seemed like it has anti aliasing on at 1080P on his BenQ XL2720Z. It seems like it would be better to just turn on anti aliasing then using DSR but maybe there is something were missing or not seeing here, does anyone else have any more input on this?

Im thinking about skipping Maxwell and waiting for Volta.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

You dont need to use DSR, its just basically super sampling, so then you get your performance back, And you can use the MFAA over MSAA and get a performance boost. Going from a 560ti to a 970 is over 3x the performance at 1080.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@TrooperManaic said:

OK as we all know Maxwell has just released and I'm trying REALLY hard to determine if I want to upgrade my current rigs GPU "EVGA GTX 560 TI" and I realize that the main sell point of the new Maxwell GPUs are the Dynamic super resolution. Well personally I don't know what the big deal is about this technology is because I have gotten to see it first hand earlier on today and noticed little to no difference with a huge FPS loss.

My buddies rig had Dark Souls 2 loaded up on it and he just got his hands on the GTX 980 and we tested this so called technology with FPS comparisons and here were out results. As you all may know the game is frame locked at 30 FPS and with the GPU he replaced "GTX 780 TI" it NEVER dipped below 30 but with dynamic super resolution it seemed to play around the 27-29 FPS rate never truly hitting 30 and thats kinda upsetting seeing that with DSR on vs DSR off seemed to have absolutely no effect in visual detail besides making it seemed like it has anti aliasing on at 1080P on his BenQ XL2720Z. It seems like it would be better to just turn on anti aliasing then using DSR but maybe there is something were missing or not seeing here, does anyone else have any more input on this?

Im thinking about skipping Maxwell and waiting for Volta.

So god help me, stop testing bad ports.

GTX980 is able to reach almost 200fps on modern games.

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

You dont need to use DSR, its just basically super sampling, so then you get your performance back, And you can use the MFAA over MSAA and get a performance boost. Going from a 560ti to a 970 is over 3x the performance at 1080.

I would imagine so. For some reason it just feels like after reading benchmarks of the 900 series it doesn't warrant me purchasing a replacement GPU because of the lack of increased performance over the endgame 700 series. Perhaps new versions of the same card will change my view on it. Im very much interested in learning more of this DSR though its an interesting concept and wanna see other peoples results in gaming.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@TrooperManaic said:

@04dcarraher said:

I would imagine so. For some reason it just feels like after reading benchmarks of the 900 series it doesn't warrant me purchasing a replacement GPU because of the lack of increased performance over the endgame 700 series. Perhaps new versions of the same card will change my view on it. Im very much interested in learning more of this DSR though its an interesting concept and wanna see other peoples results in gaming.

The performance is increased over the 780ti though...hell even the 970 GTX overclocked comes close.

The drivers still have a ways to go, some marketed features (such as MFAA with supposedly optimizes AA giving same results for much less FPS hit) still haven't been put out either, and we haven't seen any DX12 games yet (DX12 mainly deals in optimization). Give it a few months, and I'd say the 980GTX will be known as a rather significant improvement (particularly when overclocked) over the 780ti. Not saying you should upgrade from 780ti's though, I have a GTX 670 and barely have much of a reason to upgrade, it's more about future proofing while I'm in a upgrade happy mood.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@TrooperManaic said:

@04dcarraher said:

The performance is increased over the 780ti though...hell even the 970 GTX overclocked comes close.

The drivers still have a ways to go, some marketed features (such as MFAA with supposedly optimizes AA giving same results for much less FPS hit) still haven't been put out either, and we haven't seen any DX12 games yet (DX12 mainly deals in optimization). Give it a few months, and I'd say the 980GTX will be known as a rather significant improvement (particularly when overclocked) over the 780ti. Not saying you should upgrade from 780ti's though, I have a GTX 670 and barely have much of a reason to upgrade, it's more about future proofing while I'm in a upgrade happy mood.

Actually a well OCed GTX 970 will perform similar to a stock GTX 980 which is around 10-15% better than the GTX 780ti stock.

And the GTX 970 is half the price the GTX 780ti originally released for.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@RyviusARC said:

Actually a well OCed GTX 970 will perform similar to a stock GTX 980 which is around 10-15% better than the GTX 780ti stock.

Not exactly, a well OCed GTX 970 will surpass a stock 980, some cards already have a 1.3Ghz boost clock (eVga SC and MSI cards are 2 I know of), and that's out of the factory, so OC'ing these cards will surpass a 980.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Dark Souls 2 was'nt locked at 30 fps last I checked... My GTX770 did'nt seem to have trouble running at 60 either.

Edit:

That being said, the game itself though has several mechanical issues with running at 60: Invincibility frames, jumping, weapon degradation, enemy attack speed.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RyviusARC

@GTR12 said:

@RyviusARC said:

Not exactly, a well OCed GTX 970 will surpass a stock 980, some cards already have a 1.3Ghz boost clock (eVga SC and MSI cards are 2 I know of), and that's out of the factory, so OC'ing these cards will surpass a 980.

From what I saw a gtx 970 at 1516mhz boost was barely matching a GTX 980.

And that's the highest clock I saw for reviews.

Although Someone did get one to 1600mhz but that could of been a golden card.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@RyviusARC said:

My friend got 1530 with the eVga SC card with the ACX cooler, but I didn't ask him what volts or anything, so I'm sure higher is attainable with a better cooler, lets just wait until a Windforce or better cooler.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RyviusARC

@GTR12 said:

@RyviusARC said:

My friend got 1530 with the eVga SC card with the ACX cooler, but I didn't ask him what volts or anything, so I'm sure higher is attainable with a better cooler, lets just wait until a Windforce or better cooler.

Well I will get one of my Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970s on Thursday (it's already been shipped) so I will tell you how good of an OC I get.

My second GTX 970 is taking longer to ship though.....

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

#12 digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

Was looking at the GTX980 but Australians have been shafted again. The pricing is averaging $800. I cannot see how the currency conversion from $549US to this equates. It should be approx $650AUS. So this means our govt is stealing $150-$200 worth of taxes for this. And if I import there is no warranty :(

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I've been using DSR. It's great.