Dumbest Reasons Ever for Not Trading? (Hearthstone)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

trijity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 trijity
Member since 2008 • 813 Posts

Just saw an article on IGN with a Blizzard gentlemen working on Hearthstone describing why the game will not allow players to trade cards. This post is not so much being mad at not allowing card trading, although I do think it would be a very good thing, but mainly his reasoning. I'm really not trying to be asinine but can anyone give me logical thoughts as to Blizzard's excuses for not allowing it?

Short version before quoting him (tl:dr version)

1. Players may willingly trade off their good cards for crap cards (um...really? That's your reason?)

2. ???? I seriously don't understand it. Digital cards are not infinite? Wtf?

(Article quote on subject)

“What it comes down to is our guiding principles and our philosophy for Hearthstone. We want to make Hearthstone a game for everyone, and part of that is that it needs to be very accessible. Another way to say that is that we want it to be very safe for all types of players to come in and have a great experience playing the game,” he said. “Trading is a good way to build out your collection, but it comes with some down sides. One of those down sides is that as a new player, I don’t always know what my cards are worth. Maybe I got a legendary and it looks really cool, but I’m not really interested in playing this particular legendary because I’m not playing priest. Somebody comes along and says, ‘hey, I got these two rare cards, I’ll trade them for your one.’ ‘Two for one, that’s a great deal!’ There’s a chance there that I’m not really getting the best deal in terms of the trade I’m making. So that’s one down side to trading that we want to protect our players from.”

“Another reason we went down that path is because, with a secondary market through trading, you’re not always guaranteed an infinite supply,” he continued. “You can try to get a particular card that you’re really excited about – say you finally accumulated enough cards to trade for Onyxia – but it’s sold out. There are no more Onyxias. Our crafting system allows you, once you’ve accumulated enough dust, you can craft that Onyxia. Obviously, because you’re getting it through the game, you’ll always have a chance to get that. So those are two of the reasons why we went down that path. It just aligned a little bit better with our philosophies for the game.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/09/whats-next-for-blizzards-hearthstone

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2  Edited By True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

An unmentioned yet obvious reason is that they don't want to have a secondary market for cards; they want to capture as much of the pie as possible via booster pack selling, or however you can get them via microtransactions.

trijity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By trijity

@True_Sounds: That logic of "We want to make more money in sacrifice of the player experience" makes much more sense than the reasons they gave....spose that's the blizzard way. Guess it hurts PR to outright say that though. As said I don't care if it is in or isn't but my god those reasons they gave literally came out of their ass.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@trijity said:

@True_Sounds: That logic of "We want to make more money in sacrifice of the player experience" makes much more sense than the reasons they gave....spose that's the blizzard way. Guess it hurts PR to outright say that though. As said I don't care if it is in or isn't but my god those reasons they gave literally came out of their ass.

Maybe they just don't want a market and instead want players to craft their own cards or use booster packs?

I don't want a marketplace to ruin the game like the AH did with Diablo3.

trijity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 trijity

@FelipeInside: It wouldn't be an AH like D3 though, I'd hope you arn't farming gold to acquire new cards. I mean, this is a card game. It can't be called a TCG without the trading which...adds a lot to the community and social environment in this kind of realm. I feel the single factor of not allowing it is so the player base are forced to buy your booster packs. After my experience in the beta they basically force you to purchase booster packs for any progression as the "quests" to get new packs is *VERY* grindy.

It's beta though, I hope things get better.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FelipeInside

@trijity said:

@FelipeInside: It wouldn't be an AH like D3 though, I'd hope you arn't farming gold to acquire new cards. I mean, this is a card game. It can't be called a TCG without the trading which...adds a lot to the community and social environment in this kind of realm. I feel the single factor of not allowing it is so the player base are forced to buy your booster packs. After my experience in the beta they basically force you to purchase booster packs for any progression as the "quests" to get new packs is *VERY* grindy.

It's beta though, I hope things get better.

It was never called a TCG though.

I do agree that they need to fix the rewarding system. It is not rewarding enough and if they release like this people are going to stop playing (like I did). Although Blizz fans don't mind spending real money, sigh...

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By True_Sounds

@FelipeInside: Well the 'primary market' is that you can buy booster packs from blizzard, so yeah what you are saying is in my opinion the main reason.

I don't know if you can say the AH ruined Diablo 3, cause if you are casual you can just ignore that side of it. There are forums like d2jsp which did exactly the same thing and every single hardcore Diablo 2 player would use those markets to buy or trade items so it really is no different except the search features on the AH are way more convenient and you get taxed. IMO the lack of arenas and no pvp hurt Diablo 3 way more than the AH did...

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside

@True_Sounds said:

@FelipeInside: Well the 'primary market' is that you can buy booster packs from blizzard, so yeah what you are saying is in my opinion the main reason.

I don't know if you can say the AH ruined Diablo 3, cause if you are casual you can just ignore that side of it. There are forums like d2jsp which did exactly the same thing and every single hardcore Diablo 2 player would use those markets to buy or trade items so it really is no different except the search features on the AH are way more convenient and you get taxed. IMO the lack of arenas and no pvp hurt Diablo 3 way more than the AH did...

I had a great time with Diablo3, finished the game and was starting the next stage of difficulty. I then lost interest when I saw a friend buy armour in 2 seconds with real money, which would have probably taken me months to achieve. It defeated the purpose of loot hunting imo.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 True_Sounds

I had a good time with Diablo 3 as well but eventually just lost interest because its a mindless and quite frustrating grind after you get through it a couple times. The mobs start to get these ridiculous combos that are a pain to kite, and it's just not a rewarding style of game play to me. Felt I got my moneys worth before I got sick of it just like everybody else did.