Dual monitors- not sure which inputs to use

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dcno07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 dcno07
Member since 2002 • 2858 Posts

Hey guys,

I am running two monitors with my computer and was just wondering what inputs i should be using. My graphics card has 2 dvi ports and 1 hdmi port. My monitors only have hdmi ports.. right now I am using the hdmi port on my gfx card and ONE of the dvi ports on the card with a hdmi -> dvi cable. Just wondering if I should be using the 2 dvi ports with hdmi -> dvi cables or is it ok to use one hdmi and one dvi port on the card? Thanks!

Weird_Jerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Weird_Jerk
Member since 2010 • 646 Posts

@dcno07: The way you have it set up currently is fine. DVI->HDMI is still working with a digital signal; it's just that HDMI has the ability to carry an audio signal (though I've had DVI->HDMI carry sound before as well). Otherwise, there's no difference unless you want to run 4K @60Hz, in which case you'd need a dual-link DVI cable.

fatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 fatee
Member since 2004 • 371 Posts
Loading Video...

This will help you.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Your current setup is fine. There will be 0 difference if you change it. With passive adapters there will be no change in quality.

Also that video is inaccurate regarding vga. He even mentioned the resolution it supports, 2048x1536 at 85hz. DVI single link can only do 1920x1080 at 60hz. Analogue signals are not inherently worse, it's just that the ADCs on a lot of lcds are piss poor. If you use a crt monitor, then vga is the only way to go.

In that video he says: "digital is digital", except there's different modulations for the encoding and signal clock rates... but linus is a moron.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Your current setup is fine. There will be 0 difference if you change it. With passive adapters there will be no change in quality.

Also that video is inaccurate regarding vga. He even mentioned the resolution it supports, 2048x1536 at 85hz. DVI single link can only do 1920x1080 at 60hz. Analogue signals are not inherently worse, it's just that the ADCs on a lot of lcds are piss poor. If you use a crt monitor, then vga is the only way to go.

In that video he says: "digital is digital", except there's different modulations for the encoding and signal clock rates... but linus is a moron.

Got a better source? I'm not afraid of written articles.

Linus is more about layman terms than accuracy I guess, but I'd actually like to know the specific differences and having it served on a plate is always great ;)

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@MlauTheDaft said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Linus is more about layman terms than accuracy I guess, but I'd actually like to know the specific differences and having it served on a plate is always great ;)

Linus is a salesman, half the length of his videos are advertisements. There's a few good youtubers like hardwarecanucks, who give good(correct) information without whining or throwing adverts everywhere.

Better source of what specifically?

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Linus is a salesman, half the length of his videos are advertisements. There's a few good youtubers like hardwarecanucks, who give good(correct) information without whining or throwing adverts everywhere.

Better source of what specifically?

A good overview of the ports and their specifications, like Linus was supposed to provide. I could look it up myself but thought you might know a good write-up.

Edit: i don't bother with Linus, partly because of what you stated although I never really thought about it much before.