Dual 6GB video card setups

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JyePhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 JyePhye
Member since 2004 • 6173 Posts

Has anyone tested a config with dual 6GB video cards? I realize this is a super expensive setup, and I admit I've been holding out on building (or buying built) a PC until I see the next significant step forward in gaming rigs. Is this that next big step? None of the big custom system builders -- Alienware, Doghouse Systems -- are optioning this kind of build. Anyone personally tried it? Thoughts? Is this even gonna be useful in the near future?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@JyePhye said:

Has anyone tested a config with dual 6GB video cards? I realize this is a super expensive setup, and I admit I've been holding out on building (or buying built) a PC until I see the next significant step forward in gaming rigs. Is this that next big step? None of the big custom system builders -- Alienware, Doghouse Systems -- are optioning this kind of build. Anyone personally tried it? Thoughts? Is this even gonna be useful in the near future?

You mean 2x Titan Black? 2x 295X2? 2x 280X 6Gb edition? 2x 780 6Gb edition?

Don't know about Alienware but they're far from being big custom system builders, if you mean big by popular - perhaps but you won't see anything extreme in their system rigs - they sell you junk for overpriced money, just like Apple =)

Aside that you might see it coming handy when 4K or 8K will become more popular.

JyePhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By JyePhye
Member since 2004 • 6173 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@JyePhye said:

Don't know about Alienware but they're far from being big custom system builders, if you mean big by popular - perhaps but you won't see anything extreme in their system rigs - they sell you junk for overpriced money, just like Apple =)

Aside that you might see it coming handy when 4K or 8K will become more popular.

Honestly any of them -- I have yet to meet a single person who has ANY 2x 6GB config.

I toss Alienware in for popularity's sake. Overpriced garbage indeed. Maybe even worse than Apple -- but let's not get carried away.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@JyePhye said:

@PredatorRules said:

@JyePhye said:

Honestly any of them -- I have yet to meet a single person who has ANY 2x 6GB config.

Because there's no need in such amount of VRAM, as I said when the 4K and 8K will become more popular...

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

What's the point? I've never used more then 3GB VRAM in any games so far. 4GB is plenty for my 1440P.
But if you're gonna go with 6GB then go for GTX 780 6GB.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

vram doesn't add up in xfire/sli anyways, so what's the point

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

Eyefinity/Nvidia surround with 4k, 1600p/1440p displays? When I had 1080p Eyefinity I couldn't play alot of games with 2gb vram, Considering 1600p is actually 2x the res thats ~4gb ram at least. You always want a little bit of headroom with all computer parts imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

There are a few people here with sli 6gb cards. I have 2 Titan Blacks and play at 1440p with few to no problems. None of them relating to VRAM. The 4 GB cards should be more than enough for gaming at the moment. Then again I feel that every time people come out and say that, the standard changes. People swore up and down 2GB was enough when I bought a GTX690. After that backfired on me I stopped listening to people and started getting what I wanted to get. Overkill or not.