Dragon Age Origins

This topic is locked from further discussion.

egger7577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By egger7577
Member since 2004 • 721 Posts

I'm looking to pick up a new game for my PC and Dragon Age looks great. The only problem is I'm unfamiliar with the back story. Would I have to go back and play the first 2 or can this game be played without it?

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#2 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

From what I have read of a few reviews, you will be pretty lost without knowing the back story from the previous games. You can get caught up reading the plot synopses online or you can play through the first 2.

egger7577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 egger7577

@SerOlmy: Damn, that's not the type of news I was hoping for. Maybe I'll do that then but I don't know if it's worth it.

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

@SerOlmy said:

From what I have read of a few reviews, you will be pretty lost without knowing the back story from the previous games. You can get caught up reading the plot synopses online or you can play through the first 2.

I have only played Origins.. hopefully it wont affect me too much.

egger7577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 egger7577

I actually meant to say Inquisition in my title. Shows how much I know about the series. Maybe I should skip this one then.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@egger7577 said:

I actually meant to say Inquisition in my title. Shows how much I know about the series. Maybe I should skip this one then.

Well, the first game (Origins) is really fantastic so you should play it anyway, then later you can pick up Inquisition. Ignore DA2, it's awful.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

@egger7577:

Egger like many third games in a series you really dont need to play 1 2 an 3..It will tell you the story as you move along in the quests..Enjoy if its as good as dragon age origins it will be great..Hey if you havent picked up a cop of dao do so when you get a chance...Its a 100 hours of dnd and its a great game..Also never winter nights 2..

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts

@CWEBB04z said:

@SerOlmy said:

Same, I attempted Dragon Age 2. But it was soooo boring, so I thought I'd just rush through it with a trainer, just for the story. But even that was dull. So I skipped it and roughly read what happens.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SerOlmy

@mep69:

Actually I couldn't make it through DA:O. I got 2/3 of the way through it before I was bored outa my skull. I hated the companions and the grimdark setting personally. I found DA2 more enjoyable. The narrative was more defined, the companions were way better (especially Isabela and Varric), and the combat was more... energetic I guess. Plus you get the option to shank Anders' obnoxious emo ass, how can you not like that? I just wish I could have done it earlier (my hatred for him burns with the heat of a thousands stars).

I'm probably not buying DA3 and I don't really even remember the story from DA:O to tell you the truth. I was considering downloading DA2 and finishing my second playthrough. I believe I made it to just before the adventure into the deeps.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@CWEBB04z said:

@SerOlmy said:

it actually sounds like playing dragon age 2 is more important. Hawke actually shows up as a character in inquisition...

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Enchantment!

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

Enchantment?

@Arthas045 said:

Enchantment!

haha!

Anyway, you are really unlucky, Dragon Age Origins was free about a month ago from origin store...

Did I mention that DAO is one of the best games I ever played and in my top5 for the last 5 years?

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

Perhaps watch the storyline segments on youtube? If you are in rush to play Inquisition, that is the only option I see besides playing the two games. First game is pretty good so you should at least try that one out first. Would most likely go on sale next month.You did missed out when EA was giving the first game for free. Don't know much about the second game really.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Play it . It's an amazing PC Game .

EDIT :

If you meant Inquisition then that looks great too but you should play Origins , not just because of the background story but also because the game itself is great as well . DA 2 is shit though .

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cyloninside

@Cloud_imperium said:

EDIT :

If you meant Inquisition then that looks great too but you should play Origins , not just because of the background story but also because the game itself is great as well . DA 2 is shit though .

DA2 is not shit... jesus.. people really need to get over themselves. yes there were a lot of reused environments...no the game was not grand is scope... BUT the central story and characters were excellent.

aside from that, it appears DA2 is the more essential game to play out of the first two leading into DA:I. apparently there are a significant number of tie ins. specifically it is basically a continuation of the templar vs mages conflict that errupts during DA2, and Hawke even makes an appearance.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#16 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@cyloninside said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

EDIT :

DA2 is not shit... jesus.. people really need to get over themselves. yes there were a lot of reused environments...no the game was not grand is scope... BUT the central story and characters were excellent.

aside from that, it appears DA2 is the more essential game to play out of the first two leading into DA:I. apparently there are a significant number of tie ins. specifically it is basically a continuation of the templar vs mages conflict that errupts during DA2, and Hawke even makes an appearance.

Gameplay > Characters . More than half of the features weren't in the game . It was repetitive and dumbed down game , targeted for "wider audience" . I love good stories in video games but gameplay is still the most important element . Origins' characters were also amazing but it was fresh with tactical gameplay and lot of customization . It was one of the crowning achievements of last gen where game used old school style of gameplay and built upon that , and successfully made both old school gamers as well as new comers , satisfied . DA 2 focused way too much on new comers and fans of action RPGs/Action Games with characters "that make them cry" .

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SerOlmy

@Cloud_imperium said:

Gameplay > Characters .

I wholeheartedly and adamantly disagree. It may be the case for YOU, but not everyone. For me narrative/characters > gameplay in an RPG. I can get past a mediocre combat system if there is a narrative payoff, but I cannot get past a sh**** narrative no matter how good the gameplay is. That why I couldn't get into Dragon's Dogma and Divinity: OS, and why I never finished DA:O. From a purely narrative/character standpoint DA2 was a better game, it had a story to tell, which it did well and the companions were leaps and bounds better than DA:O. To this day I still consider Varric one of the best written companion characters in an RPG. Was it perfect? Certainly not, the skill trees were dumbed down and forced you into spells/abilites you didn't want, the recycled environments were annoying, and the wave based enemy spawns sucked. But I enjoyed the story much more so than I did DA:O.

RandoJarfat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RandoJarfat
Member since 2014 • 63 Posts

I tried playing DAO twice and got so bored of it couldnt get past a couple of hours each time. I hated the chunky bright art style as well. In fact that was probably the main thing i hated of it.

Gimme baldurs gate'esque hand drawn isometric views over this chubby babyish artstyle any day.

Looking forward to pillars of eternity.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cyloninside

@SerOlmy said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Gameplay > Characters .

I wholeheartedly and adamantly disagree. It may be the case for YOU, but not everyone. For me narrative/characters > gameplay in an RPG. I can get past a mediocre combat system if there is a narrative payoff, but I cannot get past a sh**** narrative no matter how good the gameplay is. That why I couldn't get into Dragon's Dogma and Divinity: OS, and why I never finished DA:O. From a purely narrative/character standpoint DA2 was a better game, it had a story to tell, which it did well and the companions were leaps and bounds better than DA:O. To this day I still consider Varric one of the best written companion characters in an RPG. Was it perfect? Certainly not, the skill trees were dumbed down and forced you into spells/abilites you didn't want, the recycled environments were annoying, and the wave based enemy spawns sucked. But I enjoyed the story much more so than I did DA:O.

exactly. gameplay does not always trump story. especially in an RPG. if an RPG has a bad story, i wont even consider it. that is like saying a shooter has bad shooting mechanics. it is central to the genre.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Btw the first game is 100 percent better than 2..Number 2 was a dumbed down version of one in every step of the way..Rehashed even, sure the fighting was fixed a tad not much for consoles..How ever the loot was gone along with every thing else..Ive played dao at least a dozen times over the years its a fun game..

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

Loved the first, the second blew goats and shortly after I stopped buying EA games. *shrugs*

You surely would be alright just watching a couple youtubers on the past lore. None of it is that incredible so I'd assume just starting with #3 would be fine.

egger7577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 egger7577

I actually have an original DVD copy of the first game. I may just load it up then and give it a shot. FYI this game was purchased a long time ago in a brick and mortar store far far away. I couldn't even imagine doing that anymore on PC.