Downsampling messes up brightness

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by byge (930 posts) -

In every game i downsample it gets darker, I have to tinker in the settings and even then the brightness doesn't look as good as it was in 1080 resolution. Any fix for this? Thanks.

#2 Posted by XaosII (16691 posts) -

What do you mean downsampling? Lowering the resolution?

You will almost always want to play at the highest resolution and then lower other settings to get acceptable performance.

#3 Posted by byge (930 posts) -
No downsampling is a method to render the game at a higher resolution and scale it down to fix your screen. I'm running the game in 2560 x 1440 and scaling it down to fit my 1080p monitor.
#5 Posted by C_Rule (9812 posts) -
No downsampling is a method to render the game at a higher resolution and scale it down to fix your screen. I'm running the game in 2560 x 1440 and scaling it down to fit my 1080p monitor.byge
Isn't the idea to double the horizontal and vertical resolution? I don't see how squashing 2560x1440 onto a 1920x1080 display is going to give you a better picture.
#6 Posted by mitu123 (154589 posts) -

[QUOTE="byge"]No downsampling is a method to render the game at a higher resolution and scale it down to fix your screen. I'm running the game in 2560 x 1440 and scaling it down to fit my 1080p monitor.C_Rule
Isn't the idea to double the horizontal and vertical resolution? I don't see how squashing 2560x1440 onto a 1920x1080 display is going to give you a better picture.

It'll reduce jaggies and is great for pixel density.

#7 Posted by z3zim4 (41 posts) -

Make sure you don't have anti aliasing on

Or just play in 1080p with AA

#8 Posted by mitu123 (154589 posts) -

Make sure you don't have anti aliasing onz3zim4

What's wrong with that?

#9 Posted by Plagueless (2569 posts) -
Term for that is supersampling, not downsampling.
#10 Posted by Plagueless (2569 posts) -
[QUOTE="z3zim4"]

Make sure you don't have anti aliasing onmitu123

What's wrong with that?

no point with the higher pixel density running at a higher res gives you. Anti-Aliasing is a waste because you can't see the jaggies to begin with.
#11 Posted by kraken2109 (13201 posts) -
[QUOTE="mitu123"][QUOTE="z3zim4"]

Make sure you don't have anti aliasing onPlagueless

What's wrong with that?

no point with the higher pixel density running at a higher res gives you. Anti-Aliasing is a waste because you can't see the jaggies to begin with.

Mitu has to do something to justify his addiction to vram
#12 Posted by byge (930 posts) -

So is there actually a fix for the brightness issue or not?

#13 Posted by mitu123 (154589 posts) -

[QUOTE="Plagueless"][QUOTE="mitu123"] What's wrong with that?

kraken2109

Mitu has to do something to justify his addiction to vram

Just showing how far games can go with VRAM and I'm glad quite a bit of games go over 2 some even 3GB VRAM.

#14 Posted by Ben-Buja (2767 posts) -

byge

Try setting your digital color format to YCbCr 444, If it's set to RGB it might change the RGB ratio to 0-255 which not all TVs support.

#15 Posted by byge (930 posts) -

[QUOTE="byge"]

Ben-Buja

Try setting your digital color format to YCbCr 444, If it's set to RGB it might change the RGB ratio to 0-255 which not all TVs support.

That seems to have worked, Thanks!