Don't Know What Game To Buy - PC - Steam

#1 Posted by MasterChief150 (75 posts) -

Hey Everyone,

I have $30 bucks in my steam wallet funds that is currently burning a whole in my virtual pocket. I have combed through Steam's search engine looking for a great game to add to my collection, but I just can't find one. I don't know if anyone else feels as if their is a video game drought on Steam right now, but I sure do.

I was thinking of purchasing Mass Effect 1 and 2 but I figure I would wait until it goes on a spotlight sale and get it bundled for $8 bucks. I also thought about getting Kerbal Space Program but after trying out the demo, I found that it was a tad too buggy on my PC, since it still is in early access.

Right now I am completely lost.

If anyone could do some shopping for me, looking for a game that is 30 bucks or less, that fits in either the RPG, Strategy, or Action genre that would be great! Personally, I am thinking about just saving up my cash and waiting for the Steam Winter Sale, since new titles will hopefully be released during that time.

Games I Already Own( No Particular Order).

Bioshock 1
Bioshock 2
Bioshock Infinite - ALL DLC'S
Borderlands - ALL DLC's
Borderlands 2 - ALL DLC'S
Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition
Command and Conquer: Generals
Command and Conquer 3
Command and Conquer: Kane's Wraith
Red Alert 3
Civilization IV
Civilization V - ALL DLC'S
Dragon Age Origins - ALL DLC's
Dishonored - ALL DLC's
Europa Universalis IV
Empire: Total War
Far Cry 2
Fallout 3 - All DLC"S
Fallout New Vegas - ALL DLC'S
Guild Wars 2
Hearthstone
Skyrim - ALL DLC's
Magic 2015
R.U.S.E
Portal 1
Portal 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Sangfroid: Tales of Werewolves
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
XCOM: Enemy Within
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Sins of a Solar Empire
The Saboteur

I am pretty sure that's everything... Let me know what you guys come up with!

Thanks!

#2 Posted by 7MDMA (291 posts) -

How much is Divinity Original Sin? It's brilliant and fits into both the RPG and strategy category. It's not instantly accesible though and will need a bit of attention and thought put in so probably not the choice if you're looking for some mindless fun.

#3 Posted by Coseniath (652 posts) -

I see that you like RTS.

Try Supreme Commander and/or its Expansion. I think atm it costs $2,49...

#4 Posted by CuddlyOwlBear (10 posts) -

Can't go wrong with the XCOM games ;)

#5 Edited by SaintSatan (596 posts) -
#6 Posted by illmatic87 (15160 posts) -

Start with a short game: Portal

Playing it will likely prod you to start Portal 2

#7 Posted by groowagon (2761 posts) -

you could trade some dota keys for Witcher 3 pre-order. you'll have to wait for it, though, but nice value. less than $20.

#8 Edited by tonylogan007 (16 posts) -

Yea, for sure, preorder Witcher 3 or wait for some daily deal on steam like the Quakecon bundle ;)

U can always try to take on some Early Access games

#9 Posted by HandsomeTrot (8 posts) -

Ill be waiting for a good daily deal for upcoming August games

#11 Posted by zanelli (769 posts) -

If you're looking for an RTS, the Dawn of War games are currently on deal. The original game and expansions have base building, large scale combat; and the sequel and it's expansions have more face paced, squad based combat. There's also a good number of mods available for both of them.

#12 Posted by Soethi6 (53 posts) -

Far Cry 3 or Just Cause 2 come to my mind. Great games and a lot of fun.

#14 Posted by GoutSmasherLive (16 posts) -

@zanelli said:

If you're looking for an RTS, the Dawn of War games are currently on deal. The original game and expansions have base building, large scale combat; and the sequel and it's expansions have more face paced, squad based combat. There's also a good number of mods available for both of them.

Aw, yeah, I recommend getting all the DoW games, and if you're really into it, the cheap DLC's are worth having, too. The discounts on these games are so worth it!

#15 Posted by GoutSmasherLive (16 posts) -

Anyway, also would like to add, seeing that there are some posts regarding FireFall...yes, it is worth a shot (sorry couldn't resist), it runs smoothly on my laptop at high settings and I do love the quirky elements in-game like Melding and the Battleframes. It's fun, try it out.

#21 Posted by AylChico (6 posts) -

@reygatdula11: You mean reviews? There's a lot of detailed playthroughs in some sites like Massively, got hooked from there actually to play Firefall.

#22 Posted by Jimmy_Russell (566 posts) -

On Steam, I recommend Dota 2 and it's completely free. Origin has BF Hardline and Sims 4 up for preorder.

#23 Edited by yhailey52 (8 posts) -

@ethelmatthews: I'm curious about this too. Been seeing a number of people interested in Firefall. Now I'm curious.

#25 Edited by KHAndAnime (13462 posts) -

On Steam, I recommend Dota 2 and it's completely free. Origin has BF Hardline and Sims 4 up for preorder.

I recommend Dota 2 also. One of the better multiplayer games out at the moment. I know people who've invested hundreds of hours into the damn game.

#26 Edited by Doozie78 (169 posts) -

If you'd like a fantastic strategy/RPG game I would also recommend Divinity: Original Sin, it's just about as good as they come. Plus you can get into some coop with it if you so choose!

#27 Posted by Arthas045 (5100 posts) -

Max Payne series its on sale right now....

#28 Posted by airshocker (29051 posts) -

Crusader Kings 2 if you like grand-strategy games. Shogun 2 for RTS/grand-strategy hybrid.

#29 Edited by soolkiki (1746 posts) -

Crusader Kings 2 if you like grand-strategy games. Shogun 2 for RTS/grand-strategy hybrid.

I've been trying to learn Crusader Kings 2 and wow is it different than anything I've ever played. Quite challenging.

#30 Posted by silversix_ (14085 posts) -

Buy Divinity: OS. Best game in a long long time and im not even into d&d genre.

#31 Edited by insane_metalist (5982 posts) -

Metro 2033
Metro Last Light
Crysis
Resident Evil 4
Counter Strike GO
Mafia II
Sleeping Dogs
Saints Row The Third
Max Payne, Max Payne 2, Max Payne 3
Rise of Nations
Team Fortress 2 (free)
War Thunder (free)

#32 Posted by devnon06 (17 posts) -

I am curious to what the OP ended up getting..

#33 Posted by Danzaduro (6 posts) -

Firefall I would recommend. TF2 also. Hearthstone, but not Steam, sooo...

#34 Posted by Gelatinous345 (8 posts) -
#35 Posted by Blutfahne (269 posts) -

Are there any games in that list that you have not yet played or what to play again? I always go back to the backlog when I have these spending urges. Even during summer sale I only spent $3 on Papers Please and sold $5 in cards haha.

#36 Posted by MickMayhem121 (9 posts) -

@blutfahne: Wish there was an option in Steam to sell games, needing to let go of finished / unplayed. I want to upgrade my Library and just pick out from Early Access titles.

#37 Posted by Blutfahne (269 posts) -
#38 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6248 posts) -

Pre-Order/Early Access is usually not worth it. I've always suffered when I did that.

My advice is to only buy things on sale.

Far Cry 3 was excellent, also Max Payne, Secret World is also one of my favorites

Just wait for sales and pick up games cheap.

#39 Posted by jesslee099 (13 posts) -

Team Fortress and DOTA 2! then there's Firefall. I hate it though when people bash each other in DoTA 2. Firefall seems peaceful except for the pew pew.

#40 Posted by 3v3ntWh0r1z0n (10 posts) -

@blutfahne: Ditto on fuckin' Early Access.

There's a full catalogue on what's on sale, and that, IMO is the best list to go through.

#41 Edited by mdtaylor407 (8 posts) -

@jimmy_russell: yep, there's a lot F2P at Steam. Got Firefall and checking the Wakfu thingy. Sorry not a fan of RTS.

#42 Edited by pelvist (4634 posts) -

You can get quite a few good games for that. Although its a mind fuck, puzzle game Antichamber was really good, Legend of Grimrock was great too. Or wait for Alien Isolation, Ethan Carter or Beyond Earth and put some more in your steam wallet toward the cost of one of those.

#43 Edited by Rattlesnake_8 (18364 posts) -

Get Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.

If you want another good RTS to play check out Company of Heroes 1 or 2.

#44 Posted by evildead6789 (7514 posts) -
#45 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (3697 posts) -

Torchlight 2... I have put in 53 hours into Torchlight 2(basically played through it 3 times with different classes). Its a must have for anyone that likes RPG's, I love it more than Diablo 3 and Path of Exile.