Does Steam have some competition?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

creaturemagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 creaturemagic
Member since 2010 • 641 Posts
For awhile now Steam has been dominating the Market. With all it's sales, games that require steam and ease of use, Steam has become the most popular Digital PC Game store among, not only Gamers, but Developers too (Indies in particular.) And although I love Steam and I have very few complaints about it, having a dominant Platform means less innovation because companies can't compete (Exceptions are Onlive and GreenManGaming, they both have a new 'idea' that is innovative) An example of this would be WoW or CoD. There are so many WoW/CoD clones because that's what everyone is buying and Developers are afraid to innovate because they are scared it won't sell, so they stick to the CoD/WoW formula (Yes there are exceptions but you get my point) So, although I love Steam and Valve, I wouldn't mind other Digital services to get a bigger Fanbase. My Question is this, do you think Steam may get some more competition in the coming years? My reason for asking is not only because I would like some more innovation, but because I've seen so many new games (Kingdoms of Amalur) that are 20% off on GreenManGaming on the first day of release (You do have to enter a code to get the 20% off, but it's a readily available code, infact his is the KoA one:RECKN-GMGLO-VESYA) Anyway, my point being that GMG and many other Digital download sites are getting more and more special offers/ extra content that Steam is not. So, does Steam have competition/Will it have some in the future? Also, do you think Developers are pushing for some competition? Obviously GMG etc. Make deals to get special content/extra DLC but do you think the developers also like spreading the popularity around?
toddx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 toddx77
Member since 2008 • 3395 Posts

You could say Origin is Steams biggest competitor. Theres also D2D but I don't know how well they do. I kind of like the idea because as much as I love valve steam could be better at times. When it comes to support valve does not have a number to call and the only way to get help is by submitting a ticket. EA actually has a number you can call and talk to a live person so hopefully valve will add something like that in the future.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
In a word: No. Origin does come close though...
Rhys2SkilleD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Rhys2SkilleD
Member since 2012 • 149 Posts

origin

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Origin but it's still a lightweight compared to Steam who's been here some time.
DethSkematik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#6 DethSkematik
Member since 2008 • 3900 Posts
I don't know the stats on D2D, but Steam's been around for a long time, so it has a pretty loyal fanbase. I'd like to say Origin would be a competitor simply because it has its share of exclusive games (Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3, etc.) while Steam's been selling mostly third-party games for a long time.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Origin for anything EA (which is most of the important games of every year since EA is that big), remains to be seen for other publishers since EA just started adding some, as you said GMG, but GamersGate seems to be the biggest competitor when it comes to offering any game (even more than Steam).
Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#8 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Origin, but it sucks compare to Steam.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#9 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
I don't know the stats on D2D, but Steam's been around for a long time, so it has a pretty loyal fanbase. I'd like to say Origin would be a competitor simply because it has its share of exclusive games (Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3, etc.) while Steam's been selling mostly third-party games for a long time. DethSkematik
Talking about exclusives, do you believe each download service will have exclusive games for attract players like consoles?
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

I would say that easily Steam is the big dog of the digital sales world but Green man Gaming is picking up steam (sorry for the bad pun) and Gamersgate's revenue has been going up by 100% every year for the last few years so I would say there are other viable options out there. I only buy from Steam when they have a sale or when I have to because I like how Gamersgate allows me to download the game and save the install on another hardd rive. That way if they ever bite the dust I don't get shafted out of my games.

K4ss3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 K4ss3r
Member since 2004 • 8697 Posts
Origin is not competitive; the only reason people are using it is because it comes as a requirement to play a number of games.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Origin is not competitive; the only reason people are using it is because it comes as a requirement to play a number of games.K4ss3r
Newsflash a lot of people used Origin {EADM) before EA games started requiring Origin, what you want to say is "your only reason for using it is because of games requiring it".
LazySloth718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LazySloth718
Member since 2011 • 2345 Posts

In my view all these "services" are f*cking up PC gaming.

You have to remember 3-4 different logins, Steam, Origin, GFWL, Gog, D2D etc etc.

D2D recently got sold to Gamefly and I can't access my games.

This is exactly what I feared when I started gaming more on consoles, that these businesses would go under and my purchases would go with them.

I have zero confidence that Steam will still be alive 10 years from now. None.

If I don't have it in my hands, then I didn't buy anything. Period.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

The more EA exclusives that appear only on Origin, the more powerful it will become. And if it get's 3rd party games to boot... huh.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I've been buying most of my digital games on amazon lately. A lot of them will register on steam/origin too.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Heck, GOG is a huge competitor to Steam when it comes to my wallet. Their policies on DRM and regional pricing as well as the look and the layout of the website along with what they offer make me one happy gamer.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
I like GoG.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

TC's wall of text deals a criical hit! entire thread roll to save vs /facepalm

hostX9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 hostX9
Member since 2009 • 163 Posts

I like Steam it's a great place too check if there is something new and innovating mostly because I love indie games. And as you said it is a great place for developers etc. Well because I'm an indie game lover my second best place for them is Desura.com it looks like it's a bit more competitive and attractive for developers then Steam since they have a huger variety of indie games which is normal to expect since they are focusing only on them. Talking about popularity, in my opinion, Desura is quite more popular then Steam among indie gamers.

On the other hand I also like GOG.com but to my knowledge they are focusing mostly on older games especially those which are incompatible with newer OS or hardware configurations (the last applies to very old games). Because of their marketing strategy I don't think it's heading in the same way as Steam but who knows what is behind their "master plan" ;)

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

Why are you saying Origin? Gamersgate is a bigger threat.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Hexagon_777

On the other hand I also like GOG.com but to my knowledge they are focusing mostly on older games especially those which are incompatible with newer OS or hardware configurations (the last applies to very old games). Because of their marketing strategy I don't think it's heading in the same way as Steam but who knows what is behind their "master plan" ;)hostX9
Unless I misunderstood, GOG makes sure that all of the games in their catalogue are compatible with the newest Windows operating system. That, plus they are going to release more modern titles (ones as new as three years ago) and when they get the DRM-free, fair-pricing-for-everybody treatment, I hope GOG succeed!

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

You can count Origin as competition but only because they make their games exclusive to their service. (Can't blame them though, VALVE did the same)

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
There are competitors, Steam just handily crushes all of them in overall numbers. I don't know how much more innovating there is to do on the store side of things - at the end of the day each service is beholden to the publishers to WANT to put stuff on the service (which kind of killed Stardock Central and their awesome 'tokens,' eventually forcing them to rebrand to Impulse and go $-only to get more support). Most publishers aren't going to want to add in something like the ability to exchange/trade-in games, so I think we're more or less stuck in the current paradigm that Steam/Origin/etc. live in. On the social/community side, maybe...
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Hexagon_777

You can count Origin as competition but only because they make their games exclusive to their service. (Can't blame them though, VALVE did the same)

tjricardo089

I wish Crytek would ditch EA as their publishers. I haven't heard good things about Origin, both online and from my friends. At least CD Projekt RED released their games on multiple digital distribution websites despite their sister company company GOG ebing perfectly adequate for the job.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

Hexagon_777

I wish Crytek would ditch EA as their publishers. I haven't heard good things about Origin, both online and from my friends. At least CD Projekt RED released their games on multiple digital distribution websites despite their sister company company GOG ebing perfectly adequate for the job.

People generally like EA Partners because they're the one 'publisher' that pretty much lets the dev choose/do whatever they want - you may have noticed that even Valve works with EAP as their retail distributor on everything from HL2 EP1 in 2006 to Portal 2 in 2011. They did have Crysis 2 available on pretty much every major DD platform out there, but it was yanked from Steam in particular because of something about their DLC.
slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
gamestop
SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SinfulPotato
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts

Steam has over 50% of the digital distribution market. The next highest compeditor is AMAZON at ~10%.

KylePC-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KylePC-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I use Steam quite often but I still use other things like D2D/Gamefly, Greenmangaming, GoG, Origin, and some others.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Hexagon_777
[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

Makari

People generally like EA Partners because they're the one 'publisher' that pretty much lets the dev choose/do whatever they want - you may have noticed that even Valve works with EAP as their retail distributor on everything from HL2 EP1 in 2006 to Portal 2 in 2011. They did have Crysis 2 available on pretty much every major DD platform out there, but it was yanked from Steam in particular because of something about their DLC.

Wasn't that an EA policy and not a Crytek policy? Other EA games were yanked as well.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Hexagon_777

Steam has over 50% of the digital distribution market. The next highest compeditor is AMAZON at ~10%.SinfulPotato
Amazon? I don't think Amazon even sells games digitally outside of the US.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

You have to remember 3-4 different logins, Steam, Origin, GFWL, Gog, D2D etc etc.

This is exactly what I feared when I started gaming more on consoles, that these businesses would go under and my purchases would go with them.

LazySloth718

Another one of these responses.

1. D2D sent out emails months in advance telling its users to download the games they had as when they migrate to Gamefly, not every game would transfer over immediately, but games that still run on modern hardware will be transferred over time.
  2. Steam is the most successful DD distributor on the market, a market in which will continue to grow. Have you been to your local Walmart lately? See how few PC games there are for sale there? DD is the future and Steam is leading the pack.
SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SinfulPotato

[QUOTE="SinfulPotato"]Steam has over 50% of the digital distribution market. The next highest compeditor is AMAZON at ~10%.Hexagon_777

Yeah, they had a huge sale a few days back. I believe the order from smallest to biggest is Steam (~51%), Amazon(~11%), Gamestop(~9%), Origin (~9%)

SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SinfulPotato

LazySloth718

Valve has a FAQ about if the service would happen to go under what customers will do to preserve the games they own.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="SinfulPotato"]Steam has over 50% of the digital distribution market. The next highest compeditor is AMAZON at ~10%.SinfulPotato

Yeah, they had a huge sale a few days back. I believe the order from smallest to biggest is Steam (~51%), Amazon(~11%), Gamestop(~9%), Origin (~9%)

That must be just the US then.