Does Steam automatically patch games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Dahaka-UK (6915 posts) -
Like say I bought GTA3 from the steam store, would it download & install any patches for it? After It's installed.
#2 Posted by raymastereo (52 posts) -

I don't know about GTA3, but I know that Steam does automatically patch your games.

#3 Posted by Doom_HellKnight (12193 posts) -
As the user above said, I'm not sure about GTA3, however every game I have on steam patches automatically.
#4 Posted by Noldorin2646 (641 posts) -

Like say I bought GTA3 from the steam store, would it download & install any patches for it? After It's installed.Dahaka-UK

They should, in fact, Steam usually offer the updated version of the game anyway. When I bought Max Payne, the version I downloaded was 1.05 already. Same thing happened with Deus Ex.

#5 Posted by error11 (7163 posts) -

[QUOTE="Dahaka-UK"]Like say I bought GTA3 from the steam store, would it download & install any patches for it? After It's installed.Noldorin2646

They should, in fact, Steam usually offer the updated version of the game anyway. When I bought Max Payne, the version I downloaded was 1.05 already. Same thing happened with Deus Ex.

Deus Ex pwns. AMIRITE!

#6 Posted by PwningStick (453 posts) -
Every game I've bought from steam was patched with the latest version. Not sure about GTA3 but I doubt they would slip up on that one.
#7 Posted by Dahaka-UK (6915 posts) -
Thanks very much. And on that note I will be buying Deus Ex aswell cause I really never got to play the game. Have a nice day.
#8 Posted by nutcrackr (12494 posts) -

GTA 3 would have the latest version up there afaik, so it would just download that version.

They keep the game updated on the server, clients download to match that. So yes it does patch all your games.

#9 Posted by Fenrir_DarkWolf (525 posts) -
Yeah they automatically patch... usually without even the users permission, lol.
#10 Posted by The_PC_Gamer (2910 posts) -
As far as I know, steam only automatically patches their own games. Not third-party.
#11 Posted by Demokk (303 posts) -
As far as I know, steam only automatically patches their own games. Not third-party.The_PC_Gamer
I believe it does patch third-party. Every game in my steam list is up to date and I have not downloaded any patch manually at all. It even has some warning for games like CoH that read "Do not patch game manually".
#12 Posted by Robertoey (1996 posts) -
Everything except for mods.
#13 Posted by squallzxyz (29 posts) -
yes steam patches games you buy off of its service or ones developed by Valve.