does internet speed effect gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WiLsOn1106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WiLsOn1106
Member since 2003 • 52 Posts
So before I was using the cheap dsl, I downloaded at 150kbps ( I don't know how to convert that to 1.2mbps or whatever it is). I was playing BF2142 and I averaged about 50-70 FPS with a 64 people server, but it seems a bit laggier than 50-70FPS should be. 50-70FPS should be very smooth for gaming because when I play WoW or GuildWars or CS. I'm not saying my battlefield is laggy due to my ping because I get about 20 but I dunno, I just think 50-70FPS should be a bit smoother. I thought it could have been my internet speed not being able to load all the information fast enough, not my computer?
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
I don't get what you're trying to say... :?

Yes, Internet speed DOES affect online gaming. It's called lag. You can get lag because your connection is horrible or because the server's connection is horrible.

A person with a dial-up connection wont be doing any online gaming because it's way too slow for games. That's why a lot of games will say "Broadband Connection Required" for the multiplayer portion.
BeavermanA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BeavermanA
Member since 2003 • 2652 Posts
What isn't smooth? BF is a ram hog so if you're experiencing little pauses or stuttering, you may want to get some more memory. Your ping can seem to affect your fps if it's high but at 20ms it isn't you. Servers with a lot of laggers, 150ms or more can really slowdown a server and they'll jump all over your screen sometimes. Also some servers just have retarded net settings that give poor performance for everyone. Hell I even once joined this server in Enemy Territory that required you to set your max_fps at 20 or you'd get kicked by punkbuster. Supposedly they wanted to make it equal for everyone that has a crappy pc, I said I liked playing games not watching slide shows and /quit.
muppet1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 muppet1010
Member since 2006 • 5812 Posts
once you reach a certain level with your internet connection then you dont need to worry about lagging(because of ping) on your half. And I would say that if you have downlad speeds of 150kbs then you are fine. But unfortunately other people will have slow connections and in some cases the servers are just really crappy aswell and there is nothing you can do about it... it annoys me when a load of laggers join servers on css
halopower67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 halopower67
Member since 2005 • 1110 Posts
yeah i mean probably its your ram since BF 2142 is a RAM hog as beaverman said above. if you can download FRAPS which is a program that tells you your framereate you will teall iif your framerate is really falling and its not just some. connection speed only makes you lag but does not lower yur framerate although it may seem like it. so, for example you have the most kick-ass pc there is but you have a crappy connnection there will be lag but not framerate slowdown.
BeavermanA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BeavermanA
Oh yeah forgot to mention that drive indexing can cause problems exactly like that, especially in online FPS games. Go to My Computer and right click on your hdd(s) and select properties. Uncheck the Allow Indexing box and apply to all folders and subfolders when it asks. Do this for all your hdds if you have more than one.
9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 9mmSpliff
Member since 2005 • 21751 Posts
internet connection means lots with online gaming. If you are on DSL and Im on Cable, Im gonna be pinging better and have less or no choke/loss compared to you
BeavermanA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BeavermanA
internet connection means lots with online gaming. If you are on DSL and Im on Cable, Im gonna be pinging better and have less or no choke/loss compared to you9mmSpliff
Location, location, location. Also crappy routing comes into play, glad I don't really play online FPS anymore as Charter Pipeline sucks lately. Ping 80ms to a server less than an hour drive from my house. So many hops....
9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 9mmSpliff
[QUOTE="9mmSpliff"]internet connection means lots with online gaming. If you are on DSL and Im on Cable, Im gonna be pinging better and have less or no choke/loss compared to youBeavermanA
Location, location, location. Also crappy routing comes into play, glad I don't really play online FPS anymore as Charter Pipeline sucks lately. Ping 80ms to a server less than an hour drive from my house. So many hops....

yes server location too.  Yeah I hop alot when going to a lower Cali server.  From my house to the Seattle server, I ping 20-30.  My worst ping in North America is Florida and I ping in the 90s there.  For Europe I ping around 150
matinog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 matinog
Member since 2004 • 794 Posts
it could be the ram or the bandwith who knows.
yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 yoyo462001
Member since 2005 • 7535 Posts
[QUOTE="BeavermanA"][QUOTE="9mmSpliff"]internet connection means lots with online gaming. If you are on DSL and Im on Cable, Im gonna be pinging better and have less or no choke/loss compared to you9mmSpliff

yes server location too.  Yeah I hop alot when going to a lower Cali server.  From my house to the Seattle server, I ping 20-30.  My worst ping in North America is Florida and I ping in the 90s there.  For Europe I ping around 150

yea server location is also alot, but on my 360 and my comp anywhere is the world i usually dont lag unless the server itself is laggy this is because i have a 10Meg connection. no matter how amazing or expensive your PC is if your connection is bad, you are going to lag.
9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 9mmSpliff
[QUOTE="9mmSpliff"][QUOTE="BeavermanA"][QUOTE="9mmSpliff"]internet connection means lots with online gaming. If you are on DSL and Im on Cable, Im gonna be pinging better and have less or no choke/loss compared to youyoyo462001

yea server location is also alot, but on my 360 and my comp anywhere is the world i usually dont lag unless the server itself is laggy this is because i have a 10Meg connection. no matter how amazing or expensive your PC is if your connection is bad, you are going to lag.

yep exactly. Thtas a nice line you got there...10meg. My buddy from my old CSS clan had our server running on a 20mb download and 10mb upload fibre optics. It was nutty, I only pinged around 40 to Sacremento from Kelowna, which is 6 hours north of Seattle driving.
yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 yoyo462001
Member since 2005 • 7535 Posts
[QUOTE="yoyo462001"][QUOTE="9mmSpliff"][QUOTE="BeavermanA"][QUOTE="9mmSpliff"]internet connection means lots with online gaming. If you are on DSL and Im on Cable, Im gonna be pinging better and have less or no choke/loss compared to you9mmSpliff

yep exactly. Thtas a nice line you got there...10meg. My buddy from my old CSS clan had our server running on a 20mb download and 10mb upload fibre optics. It was nutty, I only pinged around 40 to Sacremento from Kelowna, which is 6 hours north of Seattle driving.

yea on css on my laptop i was hitting pings like 20-30 (eurpeans servers of course), but i my fps was like 15 so my 10meg didn't really help me that much.