Does anyone play car combat games anymore on PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by zratchet-gs (7 posts) -

Does anyone play car combat games anymore on PC? I am an indie game developer, just wondering if anyone plays these sorts of games anymore.

#2 Posted by kraken2109 (12950 posts) -

I'm sure if somebody made a good one people would play it

#3 Edited by ZombieKiller7 (6194 posts) -

Anybody remember Carmageddon?

#4 Posted by blangenakker (2059 posts) -

We would if there were any, only one I can think of that has come out recently is Gas Guzzlers

#5 Posted by touchscreenpad (220 posts) -

Car Combat Games? Like Twisted Metal?

#6 Posted by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

GTA IV Masterrace LOL

#7 Edited by groowagon (2739 posts) -

i would play them, if they would exist.

@ZombieKiller7 said:

ooooh yeah. we used to play the crap out of it (or them. Carmageddon 2 mostly in LAN) back in the days. sweet times.

#8 Edited by mirautaj (312 posts) -
#9 Edited by Twisted14 (3497 posts) -

I haven't played much of them before I don't think. If a good one was to be released, I'd probably check it out.

#10 Posted by groowagon (2739 posts) -

@mirautaj said:

@groowagon said:

i would play them, if they would exist.

@ZombieKiller7 said:

ooooh yeah. we used to play the crap out of it (or them. Carmageddon 2 mostly in LAN) back in the days. sweet times.

http://www.carmageddon.com/reincarnation

AWESOME! although the fact that they use in-house engine gets me a little worried. those work-in-progress screens ain't so convincing... they should've licensed some modern engine for optimal destruction. MOAR PHYSICS

#11 Posted by Byshop (10966 posts) -

Does anyone play car combat games anymore on PC? I am an indie game developer, just wondering if anyone plays these sorts of games anymore.

What type/kind of game? How familiar are you with the history of car combat games on PC?

-Byshop

#12 Posted by alan_carter (1404 posts) -

Last one i remember is Blur.

Also Sonic All Star Racing transformed looks appealing, probably will get it on autumn sales

#13 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15753 posts) -

I didn't know there were other car combat games on the PC besides Interstate 76.

#14 Posted by Byshop (10966 posts) -

I didn't know there were other car combat games on the PC besides Interstate 76.

It's not a huge genre compared to FPS titles, but there have been quite a few over the lifespan of PC gaming going all the way back to the 8088 days.

-Byshop

#15 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (8591 posts) -

Split Second Velocity was fun in split screen, back in my PC Gaming days.

#16 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6028 posts) -

road rash was fun, but that was with bikes mostly

#17 Posted by Byshop (10966 posts) -

Interstate 82, Vigilante 8, Full Auto, Blur, the entire Twisted Metal series, Carmaggedon 1 and 2, Spy Hunter, and Death Track Ressurection just to name a few off the top of my head.

There are a -lot- more, especially if you look at non-driving sim genre games like the original car combat RPGs such as AutoDuel or isometric or top-down perspective games where you control cars such as Wasteland Angel. That's also leaving out racing games where destruction of other cars is encouraged or rewarded, but in which you don't have any offensive weapons. Games like these include the Burnout series, the later Need for Speed games, etc. That's also excluding games where the primary focus is non-car based like the Road Rash series (motorcycles) and excluding games that include vehicular combat, but the primary focus of the game is something else (Halo series, Borderlands series, almost every first and third person shooter ever made, etc).

So yeah, there are a lot. :)

-Byshop

#18 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

I'm sure if somebody made a good one people would play it

This. Emphasis on good.