do you play games windowed or full screen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by drekula2 (1898 posts) -

windowing a game may break the immersion, but i find it easy to know i can access my other programs whenever i need to. that and i always like to watch something on youtube while im simultanouesly playing tf2.

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (29132 posts) -

That's why I have a 2nd screen.

#3 Posted by drekula2 (1898 posts) -

oeh snapz

#4 Edited by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

I tend to play fullscreen. I have played some smaller titles windowed like FTL, but that's more because I would play FTL to take a break from actual work stuff I had to do. If I'm playing for personal enjoyment I definitely go fullscreen.

#5 Posted by gameofthering (10075 posts) -

Always fullscreen.

#6 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5887 posts) -

Fullscreen unless the game is legit and has borderless window option :P

#7 Posted by guynamedbilly (12919 posts) -

Fullscreen 99% of the time.

#8 Posted by drekula2 (1898 posts) -

im a person who HAS TO multi task at all times. i get nervous when i dont lol

#9 Edited by General_X (9026 posts) -

Borderless Windowed Fullscreen + multiple monitors is my preferred set-up for games that support it.

#10 Posted by Wasdie (49507 posts) -

Borderless window whenever possible. I always have a 2nd monitor setup and it's nice to easily multitask while playing.

#11 Posted by lostrib (32942 posts) -

Fullscreen since I only have one monitor setup atm

#12 Posted by FelipeInside (25153 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

im a person who HAS TO multi task at all times. i get nervous when i dont lol

Why do you HAVE TO multi task at all time?

#13 Posted by Tokeism (2305 posts) -

Fullscreen for most games

#14 Posted by soolkiki (1727 posts) -

Fullscreen. If I need something, alt+tab works very well.

#15 Posted by Jd1680a (5913 posts) -

MMOs I like to play in windowed mode, all other games full screen.

#16 Edited by Byshop (11026 posts) -

I have four screens but some games tend to freeze/crash when you alt-tab out if you arent running in some sort of Windowed mode. I like to watch TV or Netflix, and running Windowed or Borderless lets me control the show and volume without quitting the game.

-Byshop

#17 Posted by FelipeInside (25153 posts) -

I hear all these people multi tasking and watching TV on one monitor etc etc.

Don't people enjoy one thing at a time any more?

#18 Posted by Byshop (11026 posts) -

It depends. For a complex, story driven or immersive game, I'll play in Eyefinity across three monitors or I'll play on my projector. However, for more "mindless fun" types games, most multiplayer, etc I like to have some background noise. Also, even in an engaging and complex game, there may be some "grind-ey" bits that are less engaging. For these parts, I certainly don't mind having TV on in the background while I play. I probably would not have gotten to 95% completion in Saints Row 4 or found nearly all the riddler trophies in Batman:AC if not for background noise.

-Byshop

#19 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15885 posts) -

I game windowed when I feel like keeping track of something else while gaming. When I have my PC hooked up to my old 720p TV, I game fullscreen and watch sports with the TV picture in picture mode.

#20 Edited by kweeni (10875 posts) -

Always fullscreen. Windowed just doesn't feel right to me.

#21 Posted by wis3boi (31003 posts) -

Always fullscreen, but I do most MMOs in windowed fullscreen, because there's often downtime, and i can check forums while something is going on ingame

#22 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (23409 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

adhd

I personally use boarderless so I can leave the game running in the bg. Great for games like TERA or w/e, only bad side it does like 80% gpu usage in the BG.

For fps games i don't run at native res, I run at 1437*1080 or 1280x960 if the former doesn't work and I have to run in full screen.

#23 Posted by Sweetbackhair (1926 posts) -

I have 2 monitors, but certain games for me (Terraria, Prisoner Architect) that don't use a lot of CPU power when switching from my game to what's on the other monitor are windowed. Otherwise I have the rest of the games fullscreen for me.

#24 Posted by roulettethedog (10942 posts) -

Full screen with a few exceptions.

#25 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6178 posts) -

Always fullscreen can't enjoy games otherwise it bothers me to much.

#26 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15885 posts) -

Another reason why I've gamed more in windowed mode is because I've played games with smaller screens such as the PSP and now Android tablet. I'm used to the tiny screen sizes. I've played windowed games dating back to the Amiga and Windows 3.1.

Playing my PC games in a smaller window also allows me to avoid having to upgrade my video card. Right now, I don't feel any urgency to upgrade my old GTX 560 Ti because it still handles games very well at sub-1080p resolutions. I could've moved up to a new video card. But, I decided to buy a laptop (yet another device with smaller screen) instead.

#27 Posted by Fire_Wa11 (424 posts) -

I like my game screens like I like my women: full-sized with re-configurable hotkeys.

#28 Edited by Gogoplexiorayo2 (146 posts) -

always fullscreen.

#29 Posted by smithypc (6 posts) -

got to be full 100%

#30 Edited by superclocked (5823 posts) -

Full screen.. Back in the day, windowed mode would kill performance. Now it's just a personal preference to use fullscreen...