Do you guys think that Japanese devs will support PC next gen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by sleepingzzz (2263 posts) -

They are barely keeping up with console games.  Most of their games make little money overseas except for the well known franchises.  Very few Japanese gaming companies can even afford to try and make games for the PC.

There was a time when the Japanese push out great games constantly.  Unfortunately, that was over a decade ago.  That generation of devs either no longer work in the field or retired.  Their current devs are just flat out terrible.  They try to make their games into EMO virtualized worlds.  Every game looks like anime.  All of them add pedophile elements because that's what the Japanese market wants.  Just about all them have a terrible story that doesn't make a lick of sense.

There are only a few exceptions to this.  I can basically count on one hand the number of Japanese games I liked on the PS3.  I already plan to skip buying a new console.

#2 Posted by Alx1231 (527 posts) -

I have almost completely left console gaming behind but there is only one problem. Japanese devs don't make many PC ports of their games. This is the only reason for me to own a PS3 and will be the reason I buy a PS4 if it does not change this gen. The only Japanese game I know of with a PC port is Dark Souls. I haven't done much research so if there's more do tell. I really hope that Japanese devs learn that there is a market for their games on PC. 

#3 Posted by XaosII (16691 posts) -

It seems like most Japanese games dont even hit english translations. Very few people in Japan have gaming PCs due to the high cost of computer hardware.

Except for small indie games and visual novels, theres not much interest in Japanese game development for the PC for the Japanese market. So unless they intend to specifically develop for the western market, theres not much of a chance to see it on PC.

#4 Posted by BSC14 (4047 posts) -

Don't care for 99% of most Japanese games.

Hate the art style and hate the grind in their mmos.

But that's just me.

#5 Posted by lunar1122 (687 posts) -

japanese games in general reek of low quality, bad visuals, big eyes and tons of monotonous fetch quests.   Consider yourself lucky japanese games dont hit the pc, the very rare slightly above medicore ones do come however,      Almost every capcom game has been coming for pc lately.  Though i hate them all

Resident evil 6 was daylight robbery.  Street Fighter X tekken also suckedddd.    Capcom so bad nowww

#6 Posted by BSC14 (4047 posts) -

japanese games in general reek of low quality, bad visuals, big eyes and tons of monotonous fetch quests.

lunar1122

Don't forget borderline cartoon child nudity...

#7 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4318 posts) -

Yeah, I would have to say the real question is "does anyone care if they support the PC next gen?" IMO Japanese/Korean games stop being relevant in the west when the PS2 was replaced. Save for a very few exception their design has failed to evolve at all since the last console gen, their MMOs are not appealing to western audiences nor are most of their console games. Truthfully I couldn't care less wether they support the PC or not as I'm not at all interested in what they have to offer.

SerOlmy

Japanese games are no longer relevent?

Resident Evil is Japanese (RE6 might have been bad but Revelations is an excellent game)

Metal Gear Solid is Japanese

Legend of Zelda is Japanese

Mario is Japanese

Monster Hunter is Japanese

Most fighting games are Japanese (street fighter, tekken, soul calibur)

Japanese games are definitely still relevant.

#8 Posted by Alx1231 (527 posts) -

japanese games in general reek of low quality, bad visuals, big eyes and tons of monotonous fetch quests.   Consider yourself lucky japanese games dont hit the pc, the very rare slightly above medicore ones do come however,      Almost every capcom game has been coming for pc lately.  Though i hate them all

Resident evil 6 was daylight robbery.  Street Fighter X tekken also suckedddd.    Capcom so bad nowww

lunar1122
I was hoping for Dragon's Dogma to come to PC and I ended up having to buy it on PS3 :/ I understand people's hate for Japanese games, and most of them are garbage, but I wish that the really good ones would come over to PC. I was hoping that since the next gen is more like a PC that they would make a port quick and just spit it out for the west.
#9 Posted by Baranga (14217 posts) -

A couple of days ago the creator of Resident Evil announced an id Tech 5 horror game for PC and next-gen consoles.

Despite GFWL and DLC, Capcpom was actually a PC friendly company this generation.

#10 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

A couple of days ago the creator of Resident Evil announced an id Tech 5 horror game for PC and next-gen consoles.

Despite GFWL and DLC, Capcpom was actually a PC friendly company this generation.

Baranga

That's The Evil Within right?  Game looks dope if its the one you're talking about.

#11 Posted by Code135 (842 posts) -

Japanese devs are barely able to develop decent games for PC ... they can't even port their console versions for PC ... And even if a miracle occurs and a good game rises, the publishers will simply shower it with their crap and ruin the product ...

#12 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17265 posts) -

Don't care for 99% of most Japanese games.

Hate the art style and hate the grind in their mmos.

But that's just me.

BSC14

Not just you. Same here.

#13 Posted by SerOlmy (1801 posts) -

Japanese games are no longer relevent?

Resident Evil is Japanese (RE6 might have been bad but Revelations is an excellent game)

Mario is Japanese

Toxic-Seahorse

Japanese games are no longer relevant in the PC marketplace. For that matter Monster Hunter and fighting games are very much niche titles in the West (Soulcaliber has failed to sell well in the States for 2 straight games). Nintendo is milking all it's 1st party properties like there is no tomorrow (when was the last time they produced a new IP?), and with the exception of RE series NONE of those games have been on the PC. Japanese devs abandoned the PC nearly a decade ago, hence my general apathy as to whether they release any new games on the PC. To reitterate I could not care less.

#14 Posted by Whiteblade999 (5570 posts) -

Falcolm seems to be getting more PC friendly, and From promised a PC version of Dark Souls 2 day 1. Still nowhere near what you will get on a handheld in terms of support though.

#15 Posted by SerOlmy (1801 posts) -
Yeah, I would have to say the real question is "does anyone care if they support the PC next gen?" IMO Japanese/Korean games stop being relevant in the west when the PS2 was replaced. Save for a very few exception their design has failed to evolve at all since the last console gen, their MMOs are not appealing to western audiences nor are most of their console games. Truthfully I couldn't care less wether they support the PC or not as I'm not at all interested in what they have to offer.
#16 Posted by gameofthering (10454 posts) -

Baranga

Capcom have learned and stopped using GFWL and are now using STEAMworks.

#17 Posted by Iantheone (8242 posts) -

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

gameofthering

They have come pretty far with their PC development imo. They are getting much better at it than they used to be.
#18 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
[QUOTE="gameofthering"]

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

Iantheone

They have come pretty far with their PC development imo. They are getting much better at it than they used to be.

Yup. Capcom's games might not all be that good but they are at least porting some games to PC and they run well. But then again, Resident Evil 5 and 6 both suck (yeah, I played them both), and they run well but the graphics are dated. I just stick to the Metal Gear Solid games. Those are my favorites.
#19 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4318 posts) -

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] Japanese games are no longer relevent?

Mario is Japanese

SerOlmy

Japanese games are no longer relevant in the PC marketplace.

Well there you go. You didn't say on the PC in your original post. You said "Japanese/Korean games stopped being relevant after the PS2." Which is flat out wrong. Your tastes != what's relevent.

Nintendo is milking all it's 1st party properties like there is no tomorrow (when was the last time they produced a new IP?)SerOlmy

How is 1 Zelda game every generation milking? There's also only 1-2 3D mario games per generation and only 1 SSB game per generation. You can't count 3D and 2D Mario as the same franchise because they are completely different styles of games that happen to share common characters. There were only 2 Metroid games (which were vastly different from each other) last gen, and 0 star Fox and F-Zero games. How exactly is that milking any worse than what other devs do? It's not. People always hop aboard the Nintendo hate train and never actually think about the crap they're speweing. Also, new IPs don't mean sh*t if they can keep their old IP's fresh and fun. Gaming is about fun, not shiny new IPs. 

#21 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4318 posts) -

I assumed since the title of the OP had PC gaming in it that would be assumed in my post. Also, my problem isn't with Nintendo milking their properties (it makes them plenty of money), but the fact that they haven't come up with an original IP in the better part of a decade. I stand by my original point that since the PS2 cycle Japanese games have become increasingly irrelevant due to lack of appeal to and I would argue lack of understanding of western audiences. Several devs have said as much in the last few years. You can defend them all you want and pick and chose examples, but the point remains they are losing market share with no end in sight.SerOlmy
It's funny because you say I can "pick and choose examples." yet you have yet to provide any evidence to support your case that Japanese games are irrelevant. Hell, 2 of the 3 games last gen that scored 10/10 here on GS were Japanese (MGS 4 and SMG2).

:lol: You deleted the post.

#22 Posted by SerOlmy (1801 posts) -

They can make them but I probably wouldn't buy them.  I can't think of many/any Japanese games that I want to play.  If I really wanted to play them I'd have bought a console by now and I haven't.  With very few exceptions, the last Japanese games I actually liked were on the SNES.

-wildflower-
I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the N64 and never owned a Sony console. With very few exceptions Japanese games just don't appeal to me. The last one I played was Eternal Sonata and it wasn't very good. It suffered from many of the problems most other ports do - poor translation, confusing story, derivative combat, etc. Since then I have had no desire to play any other Japanese ports, there is plenty of better options I can pend my time/money on and devs that do more than just recycle the same old material year after year with next to no innovation. @toxic-seahorse I've been humoring you for a couple posts now because I'm bored and have nothing better to do. I have now lost interest in pointing out the obvious and since I dislike arguing with a wall I will go find a better use of my time.
#23 Posted by SerOlmy (1801 posts) -
Actually I deleted my previous post because of the old special Olympics adage to tell you the truth. It is a pointless argument when the drop in sales and market share really tell you all you need to know. Individual examples are meaningless when you look at the big picture. And the big pictures is pretty clear.
#24 Posted by Alx1231 (527 posts) -

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] Japanese games are no longer relevent?

Mario is Japanese

SerOlmy

Japanese games are no longer relevant in the PC marketplace. For that matter Monster Hunter and fighting games are very much niche titles in the West (Soulcaliber has failed to sell well in the States for 2 straight games). Nintendo is milking all it's 1st party properties like there is no tomorrow (when was the last time they produced a new IP?), and with the exception of RE series NONE of those games have been on the PC. Japanese devs abandoned the PC nearly a decade ago, hence my general apathy as to whether they release any new games on the PC. To reitterate I could not care less.

I don't mind Nintendo doing that as long as the 3D Mario games and mainline Legend of Zelda games keep their amazing quality. I personally still enjoy Japanese games to an extend but to be honest, I made this thread without thinking. Japanese devs are so weird, most of the games that I'll want will either be released two years from now or will be on the PS3. I think I'll be alright waiting for the PS4's price to drop
#25 Posted by -wildflower- (2937 posts) -

They can make them but I probably wouldn't buy them.  I can't think of many/any Japanese games that I want to play.  If I really wanted to play them I'd have bought a console by now and I haven't.  With very few exceptions, the last Japanese games I actually liked were on the SNES.

#26 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4318 posts) -
[QUOTE="SerOlmy"] @toxic-seahorse I've been humoring you for a couple posts now because I'm bored and have nothing better to do. I have now lost interest in pointing out the obvious and since I dislike arguing with a wall I will go find a better use of my time.

It became obvious after you deleted your post that you didn't have any evidence to back up what you were saying and you knew it. If anyone is acting like a wall, it's you. I've brought in examples to support my point multiple times and yet you have provided nothing other that your biased dislike for Japanese games. :lol:
#27 Posted by whiskeystrike (12096 posts) -

I'm hoping with the PS4 x86 architecture (easy ports) we see some more Japanese games, though I can only expect the ones that are already popular in the west here as it is. It would be great to see more XSeed, Atlus, Square Enix, Namco Bandai, etc games on the PC.

#28 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4318 posts) -
Actually I deleted my previous post because of the old special Olympics adage to tell you the truth. It is a pointless argument when the drop in sales and market share really tell you all you need to know. Individual examples are meaningless when you look at the big picture. And the big pictures is pretty clear.SerOlmy
You keep coming up with these vague statements that mean nothing without evidence. Really? Japan, which is a very small country and has a small population, doesn't have a huge market share? NO Way! There's a difference between market share and relevance which you don't seem to understand. Metal Gear Solid sells million, Mario sells millions, Zelda sells millions, how the hell are they not relevant? Because of your biased tastes? You're blindly ignoring facts; it's ridiculous.
#29 Posted by RyviusARC (4759 posts) -

They are barely keeping up with console games.  Most of their games make little money overseas except for the well known franchises.  Very few Japanese gaming companies can even afford to try and make games for the PC.

There was a time when the Japanese push out great games constantly.  Unfortunately, that was over a decade ago.  That generation of devs either no longer work in the field or retired.  Their current devs are just flat out terrible.  They try to make their games into EMO virtualized worlds.  Every game looks like anime.  All of them add pedophile elements because that's what the Japanese market wants.  Just about all them have a terrible story that doesn't make a lick of sense.

There are only a few exceptions to this.  I can basically count on one hand the number of Japanese games I liked on the PS3.  I already plan to skip buying a new console.

sleepingzzz

I just don't like it when people try to paint all anime and Japanese games with the same brush.

It true that the anime and game industry has fallen quite low in Japan but there was a time when they had quality stuff.

And a lot people might make a disgusted face when I mention visual novels (their preconcieved notions) but the best story I have seen in a game was from a visual novel.

I really do wish they would start putting out more quality products but they are just catering to their own market.....blame the people purchasing and supporting such products.

#30 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23818 posts) -

I hope Konami and Namco port more often. They seem to be following that trend.

#31 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
More Japanese games then ever are getting ported. Considering how middleware there is becoming normalised and the PS3 will have X86 architecture, yeah plenty more games will be appearing I'd say.
#32 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -

I really do wish they would start putting out more quality products but they are just catering to their own market.....blame the people purchasing and supporting such products.

RyviusARC
From what I understand it's self defeating most of the time - fanservice works, fans buy, products become increasingly made for that set niche. Which well, is fine. The bigger problem is those niche games and development communities not considering putting their stuff out there to a western audience interested in it. That's not just in regard to VNs, but games on a whole little stuff like the Cave Stories and La Mulanas or triple A like, Tokyo Jungle, Catherine,Persona 4, Nino Kuni. Japanese developers just seem often neglect capitalising on their own unique creativity and cultural identity then you know, making **** Gears of War clones and so on. (Binary Domain is totally an exception though). That and fixing up their development pipelines, reusing engines and so on, which plenty of developers have been or are going to do (Capcom's own, Konami's fox engine etc.)
#33 Posted by SKaREO (3161 posts) -
Hideo Kojima mentioned somewhere that he doesn't want the new Metal Gear games to be Playstation exclusive. Aside from that, Virtual Reality gaming is about to explode and the PC is going to be in a class of it's own.
#34 Posted by kriggy (943 posts) -

no they won't. Japan will always love thier consoles.