Do you consider AVP 2000 one of the best FPS ever?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58858 Posts

On the table of "best pc FPS" how would you scale this? For me it's one the best use of license games and one of the best fps of all time.

The levels themselves, rather than a mainstream designed simplistic A to B are maze like, tight, dark and Incredibly easy to get lost in. When you couple all of the mentioned above with a vulnerable human player who can die within 1-2 hits You get a game that successfully understands and implements what made the movies great. Not only does the game successfully capture the aspects of the aliens, it amazingly manages to capture the predator movies. With humans aimlessly wondering around having the player stalk and butcher them using very fun toys used exactly as they are in the movie franchise. Regardless of the crap Rebellion has done or how face down in the ground the aliens franchise of games have become, this is a classic. I haven't even mentioned the multiplayer, which is also for many a classic

tl dr: Play it at least once every 2 years. Never liked 2. The consolized one or any of the other games. Due to console lead design, doubt we will ever get a game like it again.

Opinions.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

On the table of "best pc FPS" how would you scale this? For me it's one the best use of license games and one of the best fps of all time.

The levels themselves, rather than a mainstream designed simplistic A to B are maze like, tight, dark and Incredibly easy to get lost in. When you couple all of the mentioned above with a vulnerable human player who can die within 1-2 hits You get a game that successfully understands and implements what made the movies great. Not only does the game successfully capture the aspects of the aliens, it amazingly manages to capture the predator movies. With humans aimlessly wondering around having the player stalk and butcher them using very fun toys used exactly as they are in the movie franchise. Regardless of the crap Rebellion has done or how face down in the ground the aliens franchise of games have become, this is a classic. I haven't even mentioned the multiplayer, which is also for many a classic

tl dr: Play it at least once every 2 years. Never liked 2. The consolized one or any of the other games. Due to console lead design, doubt we will ever get a game like it again.

Opinions.

those days are long gone man

was the same year hitman codename 47 and deus ex was released

Hard to say that avp was the best fps, but it certainly came close.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

AvP 1 and 2 were both awesome games. The first was pretty short, but great for the time. Had fun coop and Gamespy Arcade multiplayer. AvP2 was great fun as well - had large chaotic multiplayer and more complex singleplayer missions.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Sure... Why not ?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

AvP was a good game, but it felt disconnected between levels, like you were just playing random maps.

AvP2 was a masterpiece. It had a storyline which connected all 3 playthroughs, had awesome graphics, gameplay, sound and scared the crap out of me.

The AvP 2010 version wasn't as good as the past games, but it wasn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It had some good moments too if you played it through.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Loved AVP 1 & 2. AVP 2010 was ok, it had its moments.

I remember local MP with AVP with my younger brother, one time I was predator and he was a marine, and the motion tracker excited and scared him with every ping, He was hiding in a corner with a flamethrower, as I approached to kill him with my Wristblades and he happened to turn on night vision and spotted me(seeing the outline of my cloak) and unleashed a wall of flame and killed me lol.... good old times.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

The past is over. Lets talk about the future! Is Alien: Isolation going to be the best Alien game in a long long time?

Loading Video...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 uninspiredcup

ign bs ad, basically.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

ign bs ad, basically.

Uhhh okay. It shows a lot of gameplay.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup

Not saying it perhaps wont be good. Just saying it's a marketing gimmick ripping off the Amnesia reaction videos.

It's not really a fair comparison anyway since "alien" is a horror movie while "aliens" is primarily an action movie. To date, we haven't really got an "alien" game.

As far as "aliens" the "s". AVP 2000 seems to understand fully what made the movie great.

AVP 2 is abit too scripted contrived for my liking. and AVP 2010 seems to be the exact opposite of AVP 2000. Surprised the fucking aliens didn't have zimmer frames the speed they went.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Not saying it perhaps wont be good. Just saying it's a marketing gimmick ripping off the Amnesia reaction videos.

It's not really a fair comparison anyway since "alien" is a horror movie while "aliens" is primarily an action movie. To date, we haven't really got an "alien" game.

As far as "aliens" the "s". AVP 2000 seems to understand fully what made the movie great.

AVP 2 is abit too scripted contrived for my liking. and AVP 2010 seems to be the exact opposite of AVP 2000. Surprised the fucking aliens didn't have zimmer frames the speed they went.

AVP always made more sense to me as a scripted SP experience as opposed to the free-roam maze-like levels in the first games. AVP2 was scripted in all the right ways (didn't constantly distract from the action/gameplay, no lame jump scares like Outlast). AVP2's singleplayer experience was so comprehensive, AVP 1 felt like an unfinished game by comparison, but the first AVP was simply an old friggin game.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@k3ck said:

@uninspiredcup said:

ign bs ad, basically.

Uhhh okay. It shows a lot of gameplay.

The IGN staff does seem quite squeemish.

At least, they're quite a bit easier to scare than I am, personally.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Best FPS ever? I wouldnt go that far no. Though both AVP and especially AVP2 rank among my most favorite FPS games. AVP 2010 was so crap and such a disappointment for the series.

On a side note: I also really enjoyed AVP on the Atari Jaguar too, though it hasnt aged well, it was brilliant for its time.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 uninspiredcup

Tried AVP Redux the other day (thus, the thread) aside from an issue of the game crashing at end missions, pretty great job of updating the visuals and sounds. The main game is 473mb. The mod is two 1.6gb files.

Loading Video...

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11782 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

AvP was a good game, but it felt disconnected between levels, like you were just playing random maps.

AvP2 was a masterpiece. It had a storyline which connected all 3 playthroughs, had awesome graphics, gameplay, sound and scared the crap out of me.

The AvP 2010 version wasn't as good as the past games, but it wasn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It had some good moments too if you played it through.

Exactly this.

They were all good games. The first two were especially really good games. Even the multiplayer on the first two were great. The multiplayer on the newest one felt kinda like everyone camped the Pred weapon locations. It was ok, had its moments, but could have been done much better.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

It gave me nightmares when I was younger. Really good game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Masculus said:

It gave me nightmares when I was younger. Really good game.

It's worth the effort of re-checking out for Redux imo. While it's no Black Mesa, it does catapult the visuals at least 3-4 years ahead and adds double the SP content for each class that are practically indistinguishable from the main game.

The thing as well that great imo, unlike Doom 3 in which everyone bitches about the darkness, it works fucking great in AVP. Even though it's going on 14-15 years old, the strobe and blinking effects are brillaint.

The aliens move that fast that when a link blinks, or when you shoot off a flare, the appear and re-appear in new positions.

All down naturally within the gameplay as oppossed to contrived, fix cam hollywoody shit in Dead Space.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lach0121

Hey where can you find that game with the mod? Do you have to have a copy of the original AvP, then get the mods for it, or is there an already modded version you can download?

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

AvP was amazing at the time,but it has aged badly,although it is still as tense as ever.

For me it would go to No One Lives Forever,still yet to be beaten in my eyes

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Be nice to get the old AVP games on GOG, as well as the NOLF games (which I never played but have heard rave reviews about).

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#23 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

*AVP 1999

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By uninspiredcup

@faizanhd said:

*AVP 1999

AVP was re-released in 2000 with extra content. Thus, the steam version is AVP 2000.

@Lach0121 said:

Hey where can you find that game with the mod? Do you have to have a copy of the original AvP, then get the mods for it, or is there an already modded version you can download?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/aliens-versus-predator-classic-redux

While the main files extract simply to the main folder, the ENB files need taken out of the ENB folder and extracted to the main folder in order to work.

Heres some footage. It makes the game look less brown and more colorful which looses some of it's atmosphere imo but it's stil worth it to remove the sploodgy textures and the other significantly upgraded effects across the board.

Loading Video...

@naz99 said:

AvP was amazing at the time,but it has aged badly,although it is still as tense as ever.

For me it would go to No One Lives Forever,still yet to be beaten in my eyes

@jimmy_russell said:

If "one of the best" means in the top 50 of all time, I'd say 'maybe' but, it wasn't as great as you think it was. That feeling you're getting is mostly nostalgia.

Having replayed 10 hours again and just completed the Marine campaign. I certainly don't think it's some deluded rose tinted nostalgia talking or that it has aged badly gameplay wise.

From a story perspective, yea, it is essentially a bunch of barely linked levels with an Rebellion staff member on a monitor doing his best to act. AVP2 and even AVP 2010 have much better story's. AVP 2000 makes doom seem like Halflife 2 when it comes to story.

From a gameplay perspective, the intricate levels (that actually need learned) the muliple objectives, use of light and 3 classes that play distinctly different along with all the shit mentioned in the first post, at it's core is a game that uses it's license and what made the movies great brilliantly.

I'm ignoring the multiplayer as well mind which was pretty loved and for many the sole reason they played it.

That took me 10 hours just for the Marine campaign (without doing the bonus missions which double the length). Roughly 1/3 in a game heavily MP focused.

Take most modern single/multiplayer FPS. The player walks in a line for 4 hours, watches a bunch of scripted sequences then move on to the MP.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lach0121

@uninspiredcup: Hey hey thanks for the reply, I will have to check that out.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@ethelmatthews said:

TF and Firefall for me right now, sometimes i go back to offline CS :)

lol yeah, come to think of it, offline csgo would probably be better than the online one!

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

CS 1.6 Beta ... AK47 automated sniper rifle thx!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By uninspiredcup

Firefall Firefall Firefall, I (as a non representative or staff member of Firefall) I play Firefall all day and recommend playing Firefall.

It's worth noting as well, Firefall.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

kinda wish 2010 would get a sequel.