Do wireless internet adapters work alright for gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 0

#1 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

I'm referring to the kind you plug into the USB port. Just got my new PC today and I'm hoping to go this route as it sounds the simplest.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Wire is always best if it is convenient, mostly because its more stable. Wireless should work adequately provided you dont skimp out on a really cheap wireless USB adapter with Vista drivers, you shouldnt really see any difference in ping times.

whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

I'm referring to the kind you plug into the USB port. Just got my new PC today and I'm hoping to go this route as it sounds the simplest.

Master_ShakeXXX
Depends on your situation. If you are in a house and there is limited wireless activity around you then you are likely fine. However if you are like me and live in a densely populated area, in an apartment I do a search and come up with 40-50 wireless accounts it's a problem. You will end up with constant disconnects if even for a few seconds but more than long enough to ruin any experience.
Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

It works for me, I have 30-80ms ping on European servers, but I have to restart the router every now and then and it can be frustrating. And I llive in a house, only 4 or 5 networks in range.

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts

Master_ShakeXXX
You'll be fine using that method.
EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts
I use one for my PC, and I don't really have any problems with it. Once in a while the adapter will give me problems, but its very rare and simply unplugging it and plugging it back in fixes the problem. Of course if you can go wired, take that route, but you should be fine with a wireless adapter as long as there aren't a lot of wireless connections around.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Depends on the net and if you have no other choice.

Wired is always best of course but wireless can still work fine if your speeds and pings are decent. 

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
I'd be wary of some cheap Wi-Fi USB Dongle. Wireless internet, especially if you live in a populated area, can be tricky. If you buy a cheap Wi-fi dongle, the antenna on it will likely be crap and you might have connection issues (major or subtle). Something like that is suitable if you aren't receiving internet from across the house, but if you're within the same room or one room away. Powerline adapters, from what I've read and seen, are relatively cheap, convenient, and seems to be the most powerful wireless solution if you need to bridge internet across the house. The other option is to buy a cheap wireless router (like a WRT54GL), flash it with Tomato Firmware, and set it a wireless bridge (not convenient, but is cheap).
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Yes, I used a really cheap one with Vista drivers and used it for well over 4 years... In fact if it hadn't broken(thanks to an idiot with heavy boots) I'd likely still be using it for gaming.. They are just as good as long as the signal strength is strong apart from overall throughput but as we all know(or should) online gaming isn't really that demanding in terms of bandwidth, a few hundred kilobits is enough for most games. I use it on my PS3, used it on my PC and will continue using it so yeah. There's very little downside apart from the odd thick wall or signal drop that makes it noticeable.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Wired is always better but depends on many factors:

- What type of game you play: if it's mostly RTS and MMOs then it's fine, for competitive FPS and Online Sports Games you might need wired.

- What wireless conditions there are: sometimes the PC is far from the router and there is interference etc with the signal.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#11 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

Alright thanks for the answers. I'm gonna go this route since I live in a pretty remote area and don't gotta worry about interference and stuff like that.