Do people still play Battlefield 3?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bigfoot2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bigfoot2045
Member since 2012 • 732 Posts

I just picked this up for $7.50 (amazon is having a sale). It got mediocre reviews and any buzz for it died in like a month last year. Does anyone still play this, or did I just waste my money on a game whose online community is dead?

This is not a troll topic either. I really have not heard anything about BF3 since october or november of last year. It seemed like the beta came out, everyone was unimpressed, and then I never heard anything about it again.

bigfoot2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 bigfoot2045

I'm going to take the lack of responses as a resounding "no."

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Game is bad, but it has its fans, still alive, B2K is dead tho, avoid that (only 3 servers in the entire EU, 1 empty, 2 with barely a few players, no idea about NA), seems like the DLC packs are a one way ticket, people get the latest, play it, then a new one appears, everyone drops all previous content only playing the new and so on, only Armored Kill and the base game have matches going on right now.
SharkheadHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SharkheadHD
Member since 2012 • 227 Posts

I usually spend around 2 weeks playing a new game regularly. This means I beat the singleplayer, beat coop, and played all the maps before premium and DLC. I liked the game, but I wasn't obsessed with it, so I went on to do other activities.

Pretty normal reaction, right? I don't play too many games where I feel the absolute need to max out my character or completely unlock everything. I'm initially there for the broad experience, since there are many other things in life I enjoy other than the latest games.

I had great expectations of BF3 and most of them were met, so I believe I got what I paid for. Other people's opinions may vary : P

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
I haven't played it for a while. I played the hell out of it for a couple of months after launch but haven't put much time into it since. I don't know what it is, but the game just doesn't feel as fun as Bad Company 2.
Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

People are still playing it. The game has not improved much tough, it's still kinda boring and uneven.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

You say this is not a troll topic, then after 5 minutes assume nobody cares about the game, and say it had mediocre reviews (I guess 9's and 10's are given to mediocre games).

But it has a stellar community, I play it frequently with my friends. My GPU got trashed so I have not played Armored Kill yet, but next week when I get my replacement I will jump right into Battlefield 3 with some Borderlands 2 on the side.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SPYDER0416

I haven't played it for a while. I played the hell out of it for a couple of months after launch but haven't put much time into it since. I don't know what it is, but the game just doesn't feel as fun as Bad Company 2.C_Rule

Oddly enough I agree. Its bigger, has WAY moremoney put into it, much more in the way of customization options and freedom, and they went a long way to improving certain aspects, but its not quite as fun for me. It didn't grab me the same way, it has these balance and polish issues Bad Company doesn't have, while BC2 was much more even on consoles and PC, where BF3's size means its too big on consoles and sometimes too small on PC.

bigfoot2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bigfoot2045

So it's basically what I thought. No one really plays it much any more. At least the graphics are good from what I've heard. Will be a neat tech demo I guess of some DX11 stuff. Makes sense now why it was only 7 bucks.

slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

lol bc was even. Spaz with magnum rounds meant I could out snipe L95s (can't remember if that was the rifle with next to no drop) with ease. The only thing stopping helis from being just ridiculous was the random lucky tag or rpg and tanks were best kept outta sight if you were fighting a competent enemy.

I had a blast with BF3 and still jump in occasionally. Tend to stay away from air maps because of poor design of jets imo. The hate the game gets I don't understand because it's a better shooter than the previous battlefield games regardless what nostalgia induced maddy says.

Mario_Eater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mario_Eater
Member since 2010 • 344 Posts
With the release of battlefield 'premium', it has fractured the multiplayer community. There are those who will buy it and move on to the latest map pack at release, seemingly forgetting about all the other maps and then there are those (like me) who don't have it (or refuse to get it) and are stuck with the base game. And I'm not entirely sure how many people are still playing the base maps.
bigfoot2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bigfoot2045

It's pretty sad how in 2012, there's still nothing that's really beaten Counter-strike in terms of longevity. All these other military shooters come out and their communites are dead in six months or less. You would think companies would learn that map packs and weapon packs that require you to pay are a dumb idea because they fragment the community and end up killing the game.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#13 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Plenty of people still play it. Currently 25,000 people are playing it online for PC, more than CS, CS:S, CS:GO. MW3 or L4D2 etc. Saying no one really plays it anymore is completely incorrect and makes you look ignorant.
bigfoot2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bigfoot2045

Plenty of people still play it. Currently 25,000 people are playing it online for PC, more than CS, CS:S, CS:GO. MW3 or L4D2 etc. Saying no one really plays it anymore is completely incorrect and makes you look ignorant.nutcrackr

CS had hundreds of thousands playing it at any one time in its heyday, and that people are still playing it 13 years later speaks volumes. 25k after less than a year isn't impressive. That's basically on the verge of death.

Fappuchini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Fappuchini
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Why are you all so cynical and downright liars about BF3? You're either trolling or horribly misinformed. The DLC has not "fractured" the community, hence the premium package which features all of the DLC. The game has more players than Steam's top game on a good evening.
Fappuchini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fappuchini

[QUOTE="nutcrackr"]Plenty of people still play it. Currently 25,000 people are playing it online for PC, more than CS, CS:S, CS:GO. MW3 or L4D2 etc. Saying no one really plays it anymore is completely incorrect and makes you look ignorant.bigfoot2045

CS had hundreds of thousands playing it at any one time in its heyday, and that people are still playing it 13 years later speaks volumes. 25k after less than a year isn't impressive. That's basically on the verge of death.

BF3 gets 75+k on peak time. Verge of "death" with 25k players is a strangely passive-aggressive thing to say. If only less of the community acted like you do, we could once in a while get a successful shooter with top of the line graphic tech and equally great gameplay.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#18 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

[QUOTE="nutcrackr"]Plenty of people still play it. Currently 25,000 people are playing it online for PC, more than CS, CS:S, CS:GO. MW3 or L4D2 etc. Saying no one really plays it anymore is completely incorrect and makes you look ignorant.bigfoot2045

CS had hundreds of thousands playing it any one time in its heyday. 25k after less than a year isn't impressive. That's basically on the verge of death.

Whatever makes you feel better, you obviously don't want to listen to factual answers so I can only assume you made this topic to troll. You aren't worth anymore of my time.
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts

It's pretty sad how in 2012, there's still nothing that's really beaten Counter-strike in terms of longevity. All these other military shooters come out and their communites are dead in six months or less. You would think companies would learn that map packs and weapon packs that require you to pay are a dumb idea because they fragment the community and end up killing the game.

bigfoot2045
BF3 peaks at around 60-70k concurrent users so IIRC the only games peaking higher on Steam are Borderlands 2, DotA 2, and Team Fortress 2. No retail FPS will beat CS/CSS in terms of longevity, not even future CS titles, independent of how the games are themselves.
bigfoot2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bigfoot2045

Why are you all so cynical and downright liars about BF3? You're either trolling or horribly misinformed. The DLC has not "fractured" the community, hence the premium package which features all of the DLC. The game has more players than Steam's top game on a good evening.Fappuchini

I'm not being cynical. It mostly just saddens me that you don't see multiplayer shooters with the longevity of Counter-Strike these days. I don't want to get involved with a multiplayer game if I know the community is going to be dead in a couple of months. Anyway, I'm glad this was only 7 bucks. I would have been pissed if I had spent $60 on something like this at launch.

Fappuchini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Fappuchini

[QUOTE="Fappuchini"]Why are you all so cynical and downright liars about BF3? You're either trolling or horribly misinformed. The DLC has not "fractured" the community, hence the premium package which features all of the DLC. The game has more players than Steam's top game on a good evening.bigfoot2045

I'm not being cynical. It mostly just saddens me that you don't see multiplayer shooters with the longevity of Counter-Strike these days. I don't want to get involved with a multiplayer game if I know the community is going to be dead in a couple of months. Anyway, I'm glad this was only 7 bucks. I would have been pissed if I had spent $60 on something like this at launch.

This game is over 8 months old. Again, why are you saying it's dying? It has 60k+ players? That's dead? What makes this game not worth 50 bucks? Are you against popular quality shooters or something?
bigfoot2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bigfoot2045

[QUOTE="bigfoot2045"]

[QUOTE="Fappuchini"]Why are you all so cynical and downright liars about BF3? You're either trolling or horribly misinformed. The DLC has not "fractured" the community, hence the premium package which features all of the DLC. The game has more players than Steam's top game on a good evening.Fappuchini

This game is over 8 months old. Again, why are you saying it's dying? It has 60k+ players? That's dead? What makes this game not worth 50 bucks? Are you against popular quality shooters or something?

Counter-strike was still growing its community YEARS after launch. 8 months isn't a long time at all. If a game is dying after 8 months it must never have been worth getting involved with in the first place.

I guess I just hate how games aren't designed for the long haul anymore and it seems like gamers all have ADD these days.

It just sucks that you don't see games like CS, WoW, or even Halo 2 anymore, where you just know you'll be playing the multiplayer for years and years.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
[QUOTE="C_Rule"]I haven't played it for a while. I played the hell out of it for a couple of months after launch but haven't put much time into it since. I don't know what it is, but the game just doesn't feel as fun as Bad Company 2.

they nerfed my shotgun slugs in BF3. I used to love 1 shotting people up close and from a distance with bodyshots. At least they fixed the bolt action sniper rifles to 1 shot at close range , even though it took DICE about 8 months. Still, nothing quite like making people rage by running around with a barret 50cal and using it like a shotgun in BC2.
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
[QUOTE="Fappuchini"] This game is over 8 months old. Again, why are you saying it's dying? It has 60k+ players? That's dead? What makes this game not worth 50 bucks? Are you against popular quality shooters or something?

Another recent(locked) thread he made says plenty: http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29269158/wrestling-is-so-h0m0erotic Although I wanted to make the comment that Tribes: Ascend is one of the most enjoyable and refreshing shooters I've played in a long time and despite that it peaks at less than 2K concurrent players despite having 9 updates/patches in just the past 5 months, it's a nice cross between combined arms and arena shooters with high time-to-kill, tactical gameplay on large open maps, air and ground vehicles, base offense/defense, and the ability to move around the map quickly with ease.
bigfoot2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bigfoot2045

Well I finally got it installed, and it's pretty much what I suspected. There are literally like two servers with people actually playing. Game is a ghost town.

Curlyfrii87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Curlyfrii87
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

Well I finally got it installed, and it's pretty much what I suspected. There are literally like two servers with people actually playing. Game is a ghost town.

bigfoot2045

I have plenty of full servers to chose from. :|

Perhaps they all are just avoiding you?
/conspiracy

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
Yes ma'am they do. Its a yes. People play and play often. I never have a problem finding a game and active servers.
Papadrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Papadrach
Member since 2008 • 1965 Posts

Use filters....i always do my NA region, and with palyers 1-10 available and i get alot of servers to show up. use the filters, they're youre friend. DUUUUR

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
It's still quite popular.
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
I played a few weeks back on the basic BF3 package and there were tons of servers full of people.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#32 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
lol since when was 89 on metacritic mediocre for reviews?
Cloud567kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cloud567kar
Member since 2007 • 2656 Posts

So it's basically what I thought. No one really plays it much any more. At least the graphics are good from what I've heard. Will be a neat tech demo I guess of some DX11 stuff. Makes sense now why it was only 7 bucks.

bigfoot2045

Such a troll, its 750 because they want people to buy premium.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#34 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

You are horrible at this TC.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SPYDER0416

So yeah, if it wasn't obvious TC was trying to troll before, it is now.

Honestly, its pretty sad. They should make a monument to how sad this trolling is, a statue so people can cry in memory of how sad this is.

OutOfPoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 OutOfPoint
Member since 2010 • 155 Posts

There are still tons of people playing.

alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts

I know ppl who really enjoy it, who got premium and got nearly 1k hours in the game. I just can't stand it, pretty bad game. I got it bit after release and i was planning to get b2k discounted because of bf2 nostalgia, but then i quitted, that premium thing was released and forced me not to come back.
It's a very unbalanced game, combat feels cheap and simple, it's like a wrongly sized cod, i enjoyed bc2 so much more, and vietnam kicked the ass of any bf3 dlc..

MOH is bawls and bf4 seems like same story, which means ruined franchise(s).

Looks like i gotta stick to css.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

I haven't played the game since about Feb. There are probably still plenty of people that play but the community is a shadow of what it was at the end of last year.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Itz alL aBoUT teh call of duty bro.

Only kidding, yeah people still play it and for the price you got it for you shouldn't even complain about "wasting money" unless you're a tight arse. What's $7 man?

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
If you think BF3 is a ghost town, don't even *think* about playing Quake Live...
couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#41 couly
Member since 2004 • 6277 Posts
millions still play it, especially the expansions (close quarters is excellent). Sometimes I find it hard to find a server.
Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#42 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts

I haven't played it for a while. I played the hell out of it for a couple of months after launch but haven't put much time into it since. I don't know what it is, but the game just doesn't feel as fun as Bad Company 2.C_Rule

Exactly this. I lost interest in it about a month or 2 after launch. I was looking forward to it so much. Guess i hyped it up to the levels of BF2

maddogmark25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 maddogmark25
Member since 2003 • 3632 Posts

Yall-postin-in-a-troll-thread.jpg.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Either it's dying or I'm unable to find many servers.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts
Well I just got back into it to try some Armored Kill and its probably the best BF3 has to offer so far... Really enjoying this map pack more than I have enjoyed anything BF3 has to offer. I would recommend getting Armored Kill and completely ignoring the other map packs.
JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts

[QUOTE="Fappuchini"][QUOTE="bigfoot2045"]

bigfoot2045

Counter-strike was still growing its community YEARS after launch. 8 months isn't a long time at all. If a game is dying after 8 months it must never have been worth getting involved with in the first place.

I guess I just hate how games aren't designed for the long haul anymore and it seems like gamers all have ADD these days.

It just sucks that you don't see games like CS, WoW, or even Halo 2 anymore, where you just know you'll be playing the multiplayer for years and years.

Ok, we all get that you have a massive boner for Counterstrike.
norolim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 norolim
Member since 2005 • 133 Posts

I don't play it. I don't like retro games :D

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
[QUOTE="Zubinen"] BF3 peaks at around 60-70k concurrent users so IIRC the only games peaking higher on Steam are Borderlands 2, DotA 2, and Team Fortress 2. No retail FPS will beat CS/CSS in terms of longevity, not even future CS titles, independent of how the games are themselves.

basically this. everything in this post.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

I just picked this up for $7.50 (amazon is having a sale). It got mediocre reviews and any buzz for it died in like a month last year. Does anyone still play this, or did I just waste my money on a game whose online community is dead?

This is not a troll topic either. I really have not heard anything about BF3 since october or november of last year. It seemed like the beta came out, everyone was unimpressed, and then I never heard anything about it again.

bigfoot2045

They do, but much has changed since the release in the community and in how the game is played basing on the change of community. The Solo Campaign indeed is pretty bad, but multiplayer is still active, it's just pretty hard to find some decent matches now.

bigfoot2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 bigfoot2045

So yeah, if it wasn't obvious TC was trying to troll before, it is now.

Honestly, its pretty sad. They should make a monument to how sad this trolling is, a statue so people can cry in memory of how sad this is.

SPYDER0416

I'll have you know that I'm an exceptional troll.