Do Overlord and Lair of the Shadow Broker enhance the ME2 experience?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

Hey guys. So I took everyone's advice and played Mass Effect 3. It was spectacular. So spectacular that I decided to go and repurchase ME1 and ME2 to replay the trilogy as a whole on PC. So thanks to everyone that recommended Mass Effect 3. :D

I already beat the first Mass Effect, but I'm about to start Mass Effect 2 for my replay of it. When I first played Mass Effect 2 I played it without any add-ons.

I was thinking of purchasing Overlord and Lair of the Shadow Broker as those seem to be the most highly praised. Is that a good starting point? Or should I consider other options? I hear Arrival and Kasumi are kind of weak add-ons and I don't want to spend extra money on something that isn't a beneficial add-on.

But do Overlord and Shadow Broker actually enhance the game experience? If not I don't know if I want to spend the money but if they do I'll download them right away.

Just looking for some opinions. Thanks in advance!

#2 Posted by Spellingiscool (1450 posts) -
You pretty much hit it right on the head. Overlord and Shadow Broker are must haves. You can live without Kasumi and Arrival though, especially Arrival
#3 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

Sounds good man. But what the heck is the BioWare Points nonsense? I can't just use my credit card? Damn it, BioWare!

EDIT- And it has specific amount for the pricing of points at least, so I won't have any extra points lost in space. That's good to know.

#4 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16024 posts) -

Lair of the Shadow Broker is the only DLC worth your time.

#5 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -

I haven't played Overlord but Shadow Broker was very good. I'd definitely recommend it

#6 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
These two are a must as are "any one of the DLCs released for it". If you want the entire story you need them all, especially Arrival that basically is the introduction to ME 3 (the start will have no sense whatsoever without playing Arrival, unless you started looking for Arrival playthroughs).
#7 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

Cool. Thanks guys.

I'm gonna go for Overlord and Shadow Broker for now. I'll consider Arrival if it's really necessary, but that isn't an add-on I need immediately anyway since it's meant to bridge ME2 and 3, so I'll wait for more opinions on that one.

#8 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

Doesn't seem like you got informed about the story and took ME 3 for granted, won't spoil it, will just say that the first half of ME 3 doesn't make sense (entirely) without Arrival, 2nd half doesn't make sense without Shadow Broker and there are parts scattered around with quite a huge impact based on info from Kasumi, Overlord.

Overlord is lengthy and fun for people that like vehicles, but if you're playing them to enjoy the overall story, Shadow Broker and Arrival is imo what you should get above everything else.

#9 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (4079 posts) -

Lair of the Shadow Broker does in terms of story especially when important save games to the third game but neither adds anything new in terms of gameplay.

#10 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16024 posts) -

These two are a must as are "any one of the DLCs released for it". If you want the entire story you need them all, especially Arrival that basically is the introduction to ME 3 (the start will have no sense whatsoever without playing Arrival, unless you started looking for Arrival playthroughs).DanielDust

They change story specfics at the beggining of ME3 if you never played arrival, so you DON'T need to play arrival.

#11 Posted by toddx77 (3277 posts) -

Yes get Lair of the Shadow Broker but I did not care for Overlord. The only good part about Arrival is the conversation with a certain character before you finish but it isnt anything important. For Kausmi you dont need her but you loose some war assets in me3 I think.

#12 Posted by wis3boi (31016 posts) -

both are excellent DLC packs. Those two and Kasumi were my favorites

#13 Posted by kozzy1234 (35144 posts) -

Shadowbroker was fantastic, Overlord sucked though.

#14 Posted by Krelian-co (10251 posts) -

i didn't like much overlord but if you enjoyed the mako parts of mass effect 1 you should consider it, as for the shadw broker its a great dlc so yes you should buy it, specially after played the first one

#15 Posted by kennythomas26 (1382 posts) -

Cool. Thanks guys.

I'm gonna go for Overlord and Shadow Broker for now. I'll consider Arrival if it's really necessary, but that isn't an add-on I need immediately anyway since it's meant to bridge ME2 and 3, so I'll wait for more opinions on that one.

NeonNinja
Here Neon I have played all the DLC's on my 360 and Kasumi content is just a new character that can be very useful and will give a side quest with her in 3 and you have the stuff that you did not like in 2 with the loyalty quests, now I do not remember if lair or overlord came first and LotSB is a pretty good piece with a couple of boss battles and brings back Li'ara, but they are both must have's and Arrival is a bridge between 2 and 3. So either way you should
#16 Posted by with_teeth26 (6027 posts) -

Overlord was bleh in my eyes, but Lair of the Shadow Broker was probably better than anything in ME 2 vanilla.

#17 Posted by bonafidetk (3812 posts) -
Shadow Broker was probably the best mission in the whole of ME2. Its definitely worth getting. Overlord was ok but not really worth the price tag (thats the one with the "AI" guy, right?)....
#18 Posted by psn8214 (14924 posts) -

You could skip Overlord, but Shadow Broker is a must play. Might be my favorite mission of any Mass Effect game.

#19 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

Doesn't seem like you got informed about the story and took ME 3 for granted, won't spoil it, will just say that the first half of ME 3 doesn't make sense (entirely) without Arrival, 2nd half doesn't make sense without Shadow Broker and there are parts scattered around with quite a huge impact based on info from Kasumi, Overlord.

Overlord is lengthy and fun for people that like vehicles, but if you're playing them to enjoy the overall story, Shadow Broker and Arrival is imo what you should get above everything else.

DanielDust

Well, I had played ME1 and ME2 on my 360. But I got rid of it and still was interested in ME3. So I played it on its own and found it to be fantastic. It's just things that happened were based on the opposite of decisions I had made so I just enjoyed it as that kind of playthrough. But now I want to see things pan out with all of my decisions in tow.

#20 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

So I got Overlord and Shadow Broker.

I'll consider Arrival once I get nearer to the end of the game as you guys are saying it's important as far as story goes.