Do I need to upgrade for next-gen games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

godfather_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 godfather_1
Member since 2005 • 562 Posts

I am decided for next-gen, if I should go PC only since I prefer to play on my PC monitor and since the next-gen consoles are not going to have component/composite out, I won't be able to connect my PC speakers.

What I want is some advice on whether I should upgrade my PC for next-gen or is what I have now fine: -

GPU: nVidia GTX 570 1GB

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 3.40GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3

Monitor: LG 22" Full HD 1080p

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
You don't need to upgrade anything yet. When you start seeing performance drops in games, just get a better videocard and you'll be set...
commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts
You can get a better videocard... Allthough that's not really a weak videocard you have there but games become more and more demanding. I'm sure you know you have problems maxing out some games.
AdjacentLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AdjacentLives
Member since 2009 • 1173 Posts

Crysis 3 maxxed is probably close to what to expect for the most demanding games next gen for the first 2 years.  I've built a new rig from the ground up to maxx out Crysis 3 at around 65-70 fps (GTX 770's SLI, non reference overclocked).

Or use Far Cry 3, which is a little less demanding.  It's really hard to say though because its a toss up if we'll need more ram, or DDR4, or if 6+ cpu cores start being utilized more. New consoles can cause new trends for developers.

But your absolute best bet ? Check out trends from previous gens and wait exactly a year from today before considering an upgrade.  

hideinlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 hideinlight
Member since 2011 • 67 Posts

Not really, the whole point of next gen consoles is to catch up on current gen PC hardware. Since the games will mostly be based on x86 now, they will also now be more likely to be better optimized before they come to the PC.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
GTX 570?? Hell yes you will need to upgrade immediately. None of the next gen games will run smooth on your current system. You need a video card that is capable of pushing 1.7 Tflops, you're currently only at about 1.3 Tflops at best.
egger7577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 egger7577
Member since 2004 • 721 Posts

GTX 570?? Hell yes you will need to upgrade immediately. None of the next gen games will run smooth on your current system. You need a video card that is capable of pushing 1.7 Tflops, you're currently only at about 1.3 Tflops at best.SKaREO

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#8 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
wait and see, we don't know what will happen in regards to PC ports and console tech.
_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]GTX 570?? Hell yes you will need to upgrade immediately. None of the next gen games will run smooth on your current system. You need a video card that is capable of pushing 1.7 Tflops, you're currently only at about 1.3 Tflops at best.egger7577

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

my 570 does just fine.