Divinity Original Sin releases!

  • 159 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
#1 Posted by cyloninside (480 posts) -

welcome back baulders gate style RPGs! oh how i have missed you!

its on sale right now... for 1 more hour. get it before its full price again... has been a great game so far.

#2 Edited by Maroxad (8090 posts) -

I fail to see what makes this a Baldur's Gate style RPG.

If anything it is Ultima 7 style. But yes, so far it has been a great game.

#3 Posted by -wildflower- (2854 posts) -

It's still one of the top selling games on Steam, too. But, but, but....a turn-based RPG won't sell, right?

#4 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2423 posts) -

What's this? An early access game releasing?

I find that hard to believe.

#5 Posted by uninspiredcup (7861 posts) -

What's this? An early access game releasing?

I find that hard to believe.

With launch DLC.
What early access should be used for, amiright?

#6 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

Such a badass game, I would have gladly paid double the price i did for it, it's really THAT good.

#7 Posted by Flubbbs (2974 posts) -

great game so far

#8 Posted by lawlessx (46560 posts) -

@ShepardCommandr said:

What's this? An early access game releasing?

I find that hard to believe.

With launch DLC.

What early access should be used for, amiright?

You mean the kickstarter rewards? Sorry..that doesn't count as "Day one DLC"

#9 Posted by uninspiredcup (7861 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@ShepardCommandr said:

What's this? An early access game releasing?

I find that hard to believe.

With launch DLC.

What early access should be used for, amiright?

You mean the kickstarter rewards? Sorry..that doesn't count as "Day one DLC"

Well yea, it does. It's released on retail as separate content, thats launch day dlc.

Rewarding someone by saying "hey, if you help fund us, we wont fuck you over by taking this content out" has very little difference with "hey preorder or we will take this content out".

Kind of a shitty reward. :/

#10 Edited by Croag821 (2317 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@lawlessx said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@ShepardCommandr said:

What's this? An early access game releasing?

I find that hard to believe.

With launch DLC.

What early access should be used for, amiright?

You mean the kickstarter rewards? Sorry..that doesn't count as "Day one DLC"

Well yea, it does. It's released on retail as separate content, thats launch day dlc.

Rewarding someone by saying "hey, if you help fund us, we wont fuck you over by taking this content out" has very little difference with "hey preorder or we will take this content out".

Kind of a shitty reward. :/

Did you even read what the DLC is? Its a pair of special underwear and a cup that turns items gold...it's hardly anything that will "fuck you over" if you miss it.

For the most part I hate day 1 DLC but this is simply a little reward for those who first invested in the game.

But back on subject the game is awesome, it has the best combat system I've played in a long time and the co-op is a blast.

#11 Posted by lawlessx (46560 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@ShepardCommandr said:

What's this? An early access game releasing?

I find that hard to believe.

With launch DLC.

What early access should be used for, amiright?

You mean the kickstarter rewards? Sorry..that doesn't count as "Day one DLC"

Well yea, it does. It's released on retail as separate content, thats launch day dlc.

Rewarding someone by saying "hey, if you help fund us, we wont fuck you over by taking this content out" has very little difference with "hey preorder or we will take this content out".

Kind of a shitty reward. :/

guy..its underwear. the DLC kickstarter content is a pair of underwear.

#12 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4118 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@lawlessx said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@ShepardCommandr said:

What's this? An early access game releasing?

I find that hard to believe.

With launch DLC.

What early access should be used for, amiright?

You mean the kickstarter rewards? Sorry..that doesn't count as "Day one DLC"

Well yea, it does. It's released on retail as separate content, thats launch day dlc.

Rewarding someone by saying "hey, if you help fund us, we wont fuck you over by taking this content out" has very little difference with "hey preorder or we will take this content out".

Kind of a shitty reward. :/

guy..its underwear. the DLC kickstarter content is a pair of underwear.

They'll always find something to complain about.

#13 Posted by uninspiredcup (7861 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@lawlessx said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@ShepardCommandr said:

What's this? An early access game releasing?

I find that hard to believe.

With launch DLC.

What early access should be used for, amiright?

You mean the kickstarter rewards? Sorry..that doesn't count as "Day one DLC"

Well yea, it does. It's released on retail as separate content, thats launch day dlc.

Rewarding someone by saying "hey, if you help fund us, we wont fuck you over by taking this content out" has very little difference with "hey preorder or we will take this content out".

Kind of a shitty reward. :/

guy..its underwear. the DLC kickstarter content is a pair of underwear.

They'll always find something to complain about.

Because it's a valid complaint. "oh leave them alone you!" isn't.

#14 Edited by cyloninside (480 posts) -

@Maroxad said:

I fail to see what makes this a Baldur's Gate style RPG.

If anything it is Ultima 7 style. But yes, so far it has been a great game.

for those of us that played it with the "pause to act" style combat... it is exactly like playing baldurs gate.

#15 Edited by Toxic-Seahorse (4118 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

@lawlessx said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@lawlessx said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@ShepardCommandr said:

What's this? An early access game releasing?

I find that hard to believe.

With launch DLC.

What early access should be used for, amiright?

You mean the kickstarter rewards? Sorry..that doesn't count as "Day one DLC"

Well yea, it does. It's released on retail as separate content, thats launch day dlc.

Rewarding someone by saying "hey, if you help fund us, we wont fuck you over by taking this content out" has very little difference with "hey preorder or we will take this content out".

Kind of a shitty reward. :/

guy..its underwear. the DLC kickstarter content is a pair of underwear.

They'll always find something to complain about.

Because it's a valid complaint. "oh leave them alone you!" isn't.

A valid complaint? Maybe to you, but to any rational person it's really not. How is it any different than a pre-order bonus? I don't understand why someone would spend so much time trashing what other people like, even going as far as to bitch about a pair of underwear being free for kickstarter donors. Come on man, just let people enjoy the damn game.

#16 Edited by illmatic87 (15157 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

@lawlessx said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@lawlessx said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@ShepardCommandr said:

What's this? An early access game releasing?

I find that hard to believe.

With launch DLC.

What early access should be used for, amiright?

You mean the kickstarter rewards? Sorry..that doesn't count as "Day one DLC"

Well yea, it does. It's released on retail as separate content, thats launch day dlc.

Rewarding someone by saying "hey, if you help fund us, we wont fuck you over by taking this content out" has very little difference with "hey preorder or we will take this content out".

Kind of a shitty reward. :/

guy..its underwear. the DLC kickstarter content is a pair of underwear.

They'll always find something to complain about.

Because it's a valid complaint. "oh leave them alone you!" isn't.

No it's not a valid complaint. Neither is day one DLC for that matter - where it be on disc or download.

If one were to believe that the DLC was part of the game for being 'complete', simply add up the cost of the base game and the total cost of the DLC that you believe is part of the 'complete experience' and see if it's worth the total money - that's a more responsible consumer attitude to what you seem to be complaining about, as opposed to complaining for the sake of complaining because you want a pair of free digital underpants (Understandable). Otherwise, buy the standard game without the DLC like the rest of us.

#17 Posted by cyloninside (480 posts) -

does anyone know if steam cloud is supposed to be active on this game? it doesnt have the symbol for it.... i checked their kickstarter update page and it says steam cloud support was added.... so wtf?

real bummer because i play on my desktop and laptop regularly.... would like to not have to run two different saves....

#18 Posted by Byshop (11164 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Because it's a valid complaint. "oh leave them alone you!" isn't.

No it's not a valid complaint. Neither is day one DLC for that matter - where it be on disc or download.

If one were to believe that the DLC was part of the game for being 'complete', simply add up the cost of the base game and the total cost of the DLC that you believe is part of the 'complete experience' and see if it's worth the total money - that's a more responsible consumer attitude to what you seem to be complaining about, as opposed to complaining for the sake of complaining because you want a pair of free digital underpants (Understandable). Otherwise, buy the standard game without the DLC like the rest of us.

He's also the guy who called Inxile Entertainment "underhanded as fuck" because of a $5 price change for Wasteland 2 on Steam. Some people just like to complain.

-Byshop

#19 Edited by uninspiredcup (7861 posts) -

@Byshop said:

@illmatic87 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Because it's a valid complaint. "oh leave them alone you!" isn't.

No it's not a valid complaint. Neither is day one DLC for that matter - where it be on disc or download.

If one were to believe that the DLC was part of the game for being 'complete', simply add up the cost of the base game and the total cost of the DLC that you believe is part of the 'complete experience' and see if it's worth the total money - that's a more responsible consumer attitude to what you seem to be complaining about, as opposed to complaining for the sake of complaining because you want a pair of free digital underpants (Understandable). Otherwise, buy the standard game without the DLC like the rest of us.

He's also the guy who called Inxile Entertainment "underhanded as fuck" because of a $5

-Byshop

Wastland 2 £29.99, £34.99 and eventually £39.99.

£29.99 - £39.99 = £10

£10 converted to dollars = $17.50

In the future, when attempting to character assassinate through petty asinine means, having a very basic comprehension of currency will help greatly.

#20 Posted by Byshop (11164 posts) -

@Byshop said:

He's also the guy who called Inxile Entertainment "underhanded as fuck" because of a $5

-Byshop

Wastland 2 £29.99, £34.99 and eventually £39.99.

£29.99 - £39.99 = £10

£10 converted to dollars = $17.50

In the future, when attempting to character assassinate through petty asinine means, having a very basic comprehension of currency will help greatly.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-mac-discussion-1000004/regarding-wasteland-2-31278794/

You complained about "Wastland" going from £34.99 to £39.99 (not 29.99), so in US dollars I was off by a whopping $3.57. Clearly, $3.57 is the difference between a reasonable company and the antichrist.

-Byshop

#22 Posted by -wildflower- (2854 posts) -

does anyone know if steam cloud is supposed to be active on this game? it doesnt have the symbol for it.... i checked their kickstarter update page and it says steam cloud support was added.... so wtf?

real bummer because i play on my desktop and laptop regularly.... would like to not have to run two different saves....

Yes, there is Steam Cloud saving. It was just "fixed" in a small patch today.

#23 Posted by Byshop (11164 posts) -

I played this game for a few hours last night and I really enjoyed it, although I feel a bit like I'm losing a bit by not playing it multiplayer which concerns me. Making your characters argue with each other for no reason seems rather pointless. Overall I would equate this game to both U7 and BG.

-Byshop

#24 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2570 posts) -

Wohooo can't wait to play it .

#25 Posted by Postosuchus (147 posts) -
@Byshop said:

I played this game for a few hours last night and I really enjoyed it, although I feel a bit like I'm losing a bit by not playing it multiplayer which concerns me. Making your characters argue with each other for no reason seems rather pointless. Overall I would equate this game to both U7 and BG.

-Byshop

I thought there was supposed to be an option to have the second PC have an automatic personality? Did that not get finished in time?

#26 Posted by cyloninside (480 posts) -

@Byshop said:

I played this game for a few hours last night and I really enjoyed it, although I feel a bit like I'm losing a bit by not playing it multiplayer which concerns me. Making your characters argue with each other for no reason seems rather pointless. Overall I would equate this game to both U7 and BG.

-Byshop

I thought there was supposed to be an option to have the second PC have an automatic personality? Did that not get finished in time?

there is... you have to set your second character to an AI type at character creation.

#27 Posted by Byshop (11164 posts) -

@Postosuchus said:
@Byshop said:

I played this game for a few hours last night and I really enjoyed it, although I feel a bit like I'm losing a bit by not playing it multiplayer which concerns me. Making your characters argue with each other for no reason seems rather pointless. Overall I would equate this game to both U7 and BG.

-Byshop

I thought there was supposed to be an option to have the second PC have an automatic personality? Did that not get finished in time?

there is... you have to set your second character to an AI type at character creation.

Does that also apply for conversations? I saw that option but I neglected to select it.

-Byshop

#28 Edited by cyloninside (480 posts) -

@Byshop said:

@cyloninside said:

@Postosuchus said:
@Byshop said:

I played this game for a few hours last night and I really enjoyed it, although I feel a bit like I'm losing a bit by not playing it multiplayer which concerns me. Making your characters argue with each other for no reason seems rather pointless. Overall I would equate this game to both U7 and BG.

-Byshop

I thought there was supposed to be an option to have the second PC have an automatic personality? Did that not get finished in time?

there is... you have to set your second character to an AI type at character creation.

Does that also apply for conversations? I saw that option but I neglected to select it.

-Byshop

i believe so. i think it makes them respond to your dialogue in the manner that the "personality" that you choose dictates

#29 Posted by Xeogua (1542 posts) -

@Byshop said:

@cyloninside said:

@Postosuchus said:
@Byshop said:

I played this game for a few hours last night and I really enjoyed it, although I feel a bit like I'm losing a bit by not playing it multiplayer which concerns me. Making your characters argue with each other for no reason seems rather pointless. Overall I would equate this game to both U7 and BG.

-Byshop

I thought there was supposed to be an option to have the second PC have an automatic personality? Did that not get finished in time?

there is... you have to set your second character to an AI type at character creation.

Does that also apply for conversations? I saw that option but I neglected to select it.

-Byshop

i believe so. i think it makes them respond to your dialogue in the manner that the "personality" that you choose dictates

It does, but there are only 3 options. You can set it to no AI, loyal, or Random.

#30 Posted by Byshop (11164 posts) -

@Xeogua: @cyloninside: I looked into it and it's actually -only- for conversation personality. Also, as Xeogua mentioned there's only one real personality type right now, which is "Loyal". Also, the personality is doesn't work if you initiate the conversation as the partner on whom the AI is set.

-Byshop

#31 Posted by Code135 (802 posts) -

I will be enjoying the game for quite some time ... and Wasteland 2 is scheduled to come out later this year as well ! Glory to the master race !

#32 Posted by KHAndAnime (13454 posts) -

A deep RPG with full campaign coop? When's the last time we got one of those? Don't mind if I do.

#33 Posted by Byshop (11164 posts) -

@Code135: Yeah, between this, Wasteland 2 and I'm still working my way through Shadowrun Dragonfall I'm a very happy RPG camper.

-Byshop

#34 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16299 posts) -

It's still one of the top selling games on Steam, too. But, but, but....a turn-based RPG won't sell, right?

"Bu bu bu what about the focus groups that tell us they only want bro-shooters :'("

-Publishers

#35 Edited by -wildflower- (2854 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@-wildflower- said:

It's still one of the top selling games on Steam, too. But, but, but....a turn-based RPG won't sell, right?

"Bu bu bu what about the focus groups that tell us they only want bro-shooters :'("

-Publishers

Just a little update: D:OS has been the number one selling game on Steam the past two days. Not bad for a supposedly dead genre.

#36 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16299 posts) -

Just a little update: D:OS has been the number one selling game on Steam the past two days. Not bad for a supposedly dead genre.

I think Kickstarter could be renamed as "Most publishers are run by a bunch of number-crunchers who know nothing about how this industry actually works"

#37 Edited by kozzy1234 (35155 posts) -

Best rpg in years, War Larian!

Combat is top notch, there is a crazy amount of content, coop is fun and it looks gorgeous. Me and takeiteazy played till 3am and 4am the last few nights.

What a breath of fresh air this game is, doesn't hold you're hand, full to the brim with content, actual roleplaying, very tactical combat, good humor and its fun as hell to play. Makes me realize even more than I already did how poor most rpgs combat have been lately, this just destroys any and all rpg combat that has been released lately imo. It is not just a left mouse button spam all the time like alot of rpgs these days. I also love that they don't hold you're hand, there is tons to do so go out and find it. Reminds me of old Ultima Games mixed with Baldurs Gate and Fallout, along with its own elements and better combat than those aswell imo.

If you are looking for a rpg to enjoy with one friend or on you're own you can't go wrong with this. For me personally with about 20 hours during alpha and beta and 20 hours on the full game now, this is hands down the best rpg of the last few years and one of if not the best of the last 5 years. Praise Larian and I cant wait for Pillars Of Eternity and Wasteland 2 to fully come out after how well this has turned out. Divine Divinity was one of my fav rpgs of all time and so far I think this is even better (atleast combat, graphics wise it is, maybe not storywise). Long live Isometric old school style rpgs!

#38 Edited by Maroxad (8090 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@-wildflower- said:

It's still one of the top selling games on Steam, too. But, but, but....a turn-based RPG won't sell, right?

"Bu bu bu what about the focus groups that tell us they only want bro-shooters :'("

-Publishers

I am kinda baffled how RPG devs thought that the TB RPG genre was dead in the first place. TB RPG has always been alive and kicking, if anything is in trouble it are all those half baked ARPGs that aren't developed by BioWare and Bethesda (and even those successes probably mostly comes from excellent marketing and brand loyalty), that keep driving one developer to bankruptcy after another.

#39 Posted by Gooeykat (3357 posts) -

Is the game really that great or is that we just don't have many options available (or none at least at the moment...maybe when Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity come out later this year, things will change). Can you in good conscience put it side by side Torment, Fallout and Baldur's Gate 2? I think the gameplay may actually be better than some of those games..but in terms of character progression, story, atmosphere, dialogue, role-play options, etc...all things that stand the test of time and don't rely so much on tech improvement.

#40 Posted by Maroxad (8090 posts) -

@Gooeykat said:

Is the game really that great or is that we just don't have many options available (or none at least at the moment...maybe when Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity come out later this year, things will change). Can you in good conscience put it side by side Torment, Fallout and Baldur's Gate 2? I think the gameplay may actually be better than some of those games..but in terms of character progression, story, atmosphere, dialogue, role-play options, etc...all things that stand the test of time and don't rely so much on tech improvement.

It is great if you have been waiting for a successor for Ultima 7 and enjoy Turn Based Combat. If you are looking for something more like something from the Infinity Engine Era, this is not the game for you.

Pillars of Eternity will be Baldurs Gate esque and this is Ultima 7 esque and Wasteland 2 looks like an overhyped disaster. so D:OS is not really comparable to either of them.

#41 Posted by Gooeykat (3357 posts) -

@Maroxad: Okay, thanks for the reply. People keep saying it's like Baldur's Gate 2. I never played Ultima 7...I kind missed all those games. I played the Gold Box Series back in the day and then took break from gaming and got back into it around BG2 came out.

#42 Posted by Renevent42 (5132 posts) -

@Gooeykat said:

@Maroxad: Okay, thanks for the reply. People keep saying it's like Baldur's Gate 2. I never played Ultima 7...I kind missed all those games. I played the Gold Box Series back in the day and then took break from gaming and got back into it around BG2 came out.

I'd say if you enjoyed the gold box games you would almost certainly enjoy this game. Personally I think it's one of the best damn RPG's to come out in a long while.

#43 Posted by uninspiredcup (7861 posts) -

Quite nice and distinctive art direction. Divinity 2 is probably one of the most generic looking RPG's i'v played.

#44 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13455 posts) -

I don't know what It is about this game, but I just find it exceedingly boring. Something about it just isn't as entertaining as I'd like. It's not that I hate turn based combat, I liked baldurs gate 1, haven't played 2, also JRPG's tend to be my favorite Rpg's.

Perhaps it's the tone, It's just so silly. I'm still in the first town and the story just seems so weak, it's like that driving force to see what happens next just isn't making itself jump out at me.

#45 Posted by uninspiredcup (7861 posts) -
@Gooeykat said:

@Maroxad: Okay, thanks for the reply. People keep saying it's like Baldur's Gate 2. I never played Ultima 7...I kind missed all those games. I played the Gold Box Series back in the day and then took break from gaming and got back into it around BG2 came out.

I'd recommend Might And Magic X (even though it's first person and tile based) It's a fantastic game tactical game. cheap with easily 50+ hours of content.

#46 Posted by cyloninside (480 posts) -

man, this game is HARD. im playing on normal and im finding it almost impossible to advance at this point.... my characters are lvl 4 and i have level 6 orcs to the west, lvl 5 zombies to the east, and lvl 5 pyromancers to the north.... im not sure what to do at this point.

#47 Posted by with_teeth26 (6058 posts) -

I don't know what It is about this game, but I just find it exceedingly boring. Something about it just isn't as entertaining as I'd like. It's not that I hate turn based combat, I liked baldurs gate 1, haven't played 2, also JRPG's tend to be my favorite Rpg's.

Perhaps it's the tone, It's just so silly. I'm still in the first town and the story just seems so weak, it's like that driving force to see what happens next just isn't making itself jump out at me.

i tried it for a few hours via steam family sharing and I cant get into it. The dialogue is just not interesting to me, and so far the game is mostly dialogue. I played and loved Banner Sage earlier this year and it was heavily text based, but it had such good writing and great atmosphere.

As you said the tone in this is very silly and I don't think that suits the amount of dialogue. If i'm going to spend hours reading I'd like to be invested and interested in what I'm reading about. Glad I didn't buy it yet, I might get it on sale down the road and give it another shot but there is no way i'm spending 40 dollars on it. It looks nice and I enjoy the combat but the dialogue is just really boring and uninteresting so far.

#48 Edited by ShimmerMan (4441 posts) -

This game has the monotone of a cartoon for 8 year old children.

#49 Posted by cyloninside (480 posts) -

This game has the monotone of a cartoon for 8 year old children.

uh.... k?

#50 Posted by uninspiredcup (7861 posts) -

I think that was suppose to be a sophisticated criticism of the art style.

Which is good.