This topic is locked from further discussion.

danyopizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 danyopizzle
Member since 2005 • 341 Posts

What do you do in this situation of having dirty power? Basically im getting a computer coming in and am scared to hook up now, cause with research ive discovered i have dirty power running in my house... whats the fix on these?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Never heard of that.

Sounds stupid

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Never heard of that.

Sounds stupid

Its a thing.

How do you know you have "Dirty Electricity" and do you know what is causing it? If it is prior to your residence you can get a filter. If its after power comes to your residence you can most likely resolve the problem.

That being said I doubt it would be a problem for your powersupply and if you are really worried you could always put a filter right before power goes to your computer, though that's pretty stupid when you could put it out at the power meter.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Best thing to do is get a UPS , decent ones cost around $120. UPS is a battery backup system that regulates and filters power and surges and brown out conditions and allows you to run off the battery until the power comes back on if there is an outage for short periods enough time to save what your doing and shut it off. You can also get a plain APC wall mount power filter , most have surge protection too so you will be fine also.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@danyopizzle said:

What do you do in this situation of having dirty power? Basically im getting a computer coming in and am scared to hook up now, cause with research ive discovered i have dirty power running in my house... whats the fix on these?

You can buy a higher grade PSU (bronze certified or above if you've got the money for it)

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

Great advice so far all. UPS and Gold rated power supply is great. Actually you'll save over 20% or more using a gold power supply over a non rated one so definitely worth it, I switched on of my pcs from a unrated Ultra 450 watt to a gold rated one and under full load wattage went down over 50 watts.

It sounds pretty bad if your getting unregulated power to your house... you should get the hydro company or whatever to fix it, it could be dangerous to have unstable power flowing to your house, it could burn out your wiring a cause a fire.

I live out in the country and my power is always fluctuating but i wouldnt say its dirty, just that it surges a lot so i'm a big supporter of using UPS surge protection with battery backup.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

UPS is your only bet, a high quality one at that.

How do you know it's dirty though, did you check with an oscilloscope? But if you live in a bad area, then chances are it probably is dirty lol.

That or a line conditioner voltage regular