Did i make a good choice when buying a new laptop?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thingta42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 0

#1 thingta42
Member since 2005 • 6120 Posts

Short story is, for three years i've been using a basic notebook for gaming. costed like 400$, got it three years ago, has integrated graphics 2GB of ram etc, basically rubbish for gaming beyond games like Sim City 4. Then my mom offered to buy me one, within reason (not talking about a $2,200 Dollar Laptop) But still, i could get a really good one, and i had one chance at it. Did a lot, of looking into it. And i picked this one. Mainly because of the cooling system in it.

http://www.amazon.com/G750JM-DS71-17-3-inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00IKF2H12/ref=pd_tcs_subst_pc_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0AHXW5B3TNM8SNKCYME1

I paid a little bit less for it at the time (About a month ago) But. Do you think it will last me for a few years? I know they are clearly more powerful computers out in the market. But those are more expensive. (Like Below)

http://www.amazon.com/G750JZ-DS71-17-3-inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00IAACWH6/ref=pd_tcs_subst_pc_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0A2WNXTSFMB1GSBPA16J

And i feel like the money on the first one spent, was money worth spent because i went from not being able to Play Shogun 2, to being able to play it maxed out (More or less)

I think realisticly in a few years, (Maybe three onward) i'll probably get another computer when i can afford one myself, but i really couldn't see myself going for another 3 years using the same old computer i had before this one.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@thingta42: You made an absolutely excellent choice. ASUS laptops are a good value, have great build quality, and have top tier customer support. I have an older ASUS and a newer Alienware laptop. My ASUS is about 4 years old and I haven't had a single problem. The only thing I'd eventually upgrade on yours is the hard drive, you should probably get an SSD sooner or later. Enjoy!

thingta42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By thingta42

@k3ck: What is a SSD? Also. The graphics card (860m) isn't rubbish is it? like i said, i'm aware the 880m is way more powerful. Thanks for the reply! helps with peace of mind knowing i got an excellent choice. The Hard-drive doesn't bother me. Haven't come across any problems. Why should i upgrade my hard drive? it isn't gonna slow down my games is it?

I didn't like a lof of the MSI ones, because they were too thin, and they didn't have the cooling like this ROG one does, which a lot of people were complaining that they were getting too hot! Also the Alienware ones were going for more money then the ROG!, with inferior hardware!

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

GTX880M will keep you gaming on high-med graphics for a couple of years from now so if you like laptops I cannot say it's a bad choice.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

GTX 880M for sure will last you a couple years. Second one is a better choice.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SaintSatan

@insane_metalist: @PredatorRules: Niether of you read the thread, did ya? He bought the first one and was asking if he made a good choice.

@thingta42: Solid State Drive, a super fast hard drive. Will make everything load lightening fast (games, boot up times, ect). Don't worry about it much if you're happy with yours. An yeah, Alienware can be way more expensive. ASUS is a better value.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GeryGo  Moderator

@k3ck said:

@insane_metalist: @PredatorRules: Niether of you read the thread, did ya? He bought the first one and was asking if he made a good choice.

@thingta42: Solid State Drive, a super fast hard drive. Will make everything load lightening fast (games, boot up times, ect). Don't worry about it much if you're happy with yours. An yeah, Alienware can be way more expensive. ASUS is a better value.

A 860M is welcome to the club kinda GPU, yes he might game on that in 3 years from now, not high graphics but mixed of medium-low.

thingta42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thingta42

@PredatorRules said:

@k3ck said:

A 860M is welcome to the club kinda GPU, yes he might game on that in 3 years from now, not high graphics but mixed of medium-low.

I personally wouldn't class it as low. Not when compared to what i had before which was a integrated. And for the money, the laptop is currently running all my games!, all of which i've had sat on my shelf for three years being unable to play. and yeah, people are ofc gonna say the 880m is better lol. But do you wanna give me over 2000$ so i can get a laptop with one it? i love how people downplay a inferior card and avoiding giving it any credit like it has the plague lol. Anyway, it's never good enough, people will always find fault with what you have lol.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GeryGo  Moderator

@thingta42 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@k3ck said:

I personally wouldn't class it as low. Not when compared to what i had before which was a integrated. And for the money, the laptop is currently running all my games!, all of which i've had sat on my shelf for three years being unable to play. and yeah, people are ofc gonna say the 880m is better lol. But do you wanna give me over 2000$ so i can get a laptop with one it? i love how people downplay a inferior card and avoiding giving it any credit like it has the plague lol. Anyway, it's never good enough, people will always find fault with what you have lol.

With 880M you could run games on high settings 3 years from now, while on the 860 you'd be doing medium at most, you get what you pay for, that's it.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SaintSatan

@PredatorRules said:

@thingta42 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@k3ck said:

With 880M you could run games on high settings 3 years from now, while on the 860 you'd be doing medium at most, you get what you pay for, that's it.

My 4 year old ASUS with an HD5870 1GB can run most games at medium now...Borderlands 2, Alan Wake, Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite, ect. Not bad for such an old laptop. I think an 860m will last a bit longer than mine did. I have a Dual 780m 4GB SLI now and I feel like I'm set for quite a few years. Maxing Metro: Last Light smoothly on a laptop is pretty sweet. I'm really happy so far and I'm glad the 880m's are not a big step up over mine. I bought mine at the right time it seems.