Did Gas Powered shoot themselves in the foot ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46241 Posts

I mean who wants to back a kickstarter game that doesn't have a development team behind it ?

Sure, Chris Taylor said he will hire everyone back when the kickstarter is successful but it's just a really weird situation that doesn't give potential backers a lot of assurance the game will ever be made.

Wildman_Logo-700.jpg

I hope their kickstarter will be successful though, I would hate to see GPG go like this. They are a great studio.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
Member since 2005 • 1890 Posts
What happened to that other rts that they were developing? kings and castles or something like that.
geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts

I've just seen his video, but I would be really worried if I had invested some money in this. Putting out a message like this is signing your own death warrant. This is gonna fail.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#4 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

i guess he wants get all funding together before offering pay X amount to someone that he can't do. or pay the people enough to quit their current job... I don't like kickstarter anyways.... i am not a free bank

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 R4gn4r0k  Online

What happened to that other rts that they were developing? kings and castles or something like that.dannenissan2

It was put on hold when they developed Age of Empires Online. I think it was because they didn't have a publisher.

Will47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Will47
Member since 2007 • 6824 Posts
The game looked interesting enough, but right after I saw it there was all the news about lay offs. I really doubt it's going to end well for them. What was that Kickstarter asking for anyway? Over a million I thought.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

They said they are keeping a team of about 30 I think. 30 is waaaay more people than most of the kickstarter projects have.

It sounded to me like they have enough to maintain the smaller team for now, regardless of if the kickstarter is successful or not. If the campaign was extremely successful, he said that he'd try to hire the rest back.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
It's more like he over-hired. For an indie game, the team was way too big so now he had to let some people go. Like Guynamedbilly said, a team of 30 people is more than enough to develop this kind of game.
Spoonoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Spoonoop
Member since 2004 • 178 Posts

theres an article on this herehttp://www.gamespot.com/news/major-layoffs-at-wild-man-dev-6402672

Chris says he still has a fully functioning company, though its smaller now. The part I don't get in the article is Chris asking supporters if he should continue with the kickstarter project or terminate it. If the kickstarter doesn't make it wont all the money be refunded anyway? Thought thats how it worked

Chris also mentions that the future of GPG rests on the success of Wildman. I hope it makes it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Yea, that seems a little strange to me, and it doesn't seem to make much sense. It's possible that he doesn't know how Kickstarter funding works if it doesn't meet it's goal, or doesn't know how the Kickstarter comment system works.

I think it was a situation where they wanted to be honest and acknowledge that it had happened; not knowing the best way to respond but feeling like a quick response was necessary or everyone would write the company off as good as dead and not want to back the project. Maybe a little too kneejerk. I'm sure that wasn't a planned video when they started the Kickstarter campaign.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

They need to spread the word a bit more about this Kickstarter because untill reading this topic I had never head of Wildman. Total Annihilation and Supcom Forged Alliance are among my list of favorite RTS games ever so I hope the studio does well enough to eventually bring us more.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Yea, that seems a little strange to me, and it doesn't seem to make much sense. It's possible that he doesn't know how Kickstarter funding works if it doesn't meet it's goal, or doesn't know how the Kickstarter comment system works.

I think it was a situation where they wanted to be honest and acknowledge that it had happened; not knowing the best way to respond but feeling like a quick response was necessary or everyone would write the company off as good as dead and not want to back the project. Maybe a little too kneejerk. I'm sure that wasn't a planned video when they started the Kickstarter campaign.

guynamedbilly
Yup, I can appreciate his openness and honesty. I know some people will still be upset but at least now they know..
slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

They need to spread the word a bit more about this Kickstarter because untill reading this topic I had never head of Wildman. Total Annihilation and Supcom Forged Alliance are among my list of favorite RTS games ever so I hope the studio does well enough to eventually bring us more.

pelvist

With alot of them making Planetary Annihilation, other than Chris, I wonder how many of the original team that did TA are still with GPG.

Zebracal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Zebracal
Member since 2013 • 56 Posts

They probably need a great marketing team, in order push this trough

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k  Online

Thanks for clearing that up. I was under the impression that there were only a couple of people left at Gas Powered

Walincas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Walincas
Member since 2006 • 511 Posts

I don't think Chris Taylor shot him self in the foot - I think he acts with respect for his employees and I sure as wildman hope he makes it!

Supreme Commander is one of my all time favourite RTS games, and I would hate to see GPG go down.

Besides, if Wildman is a success, he (CT) will probably have free reigns on their next project, which could very well be King's And Castles (Supcom - but medieval style, HELL YEA!!).